What Are You Guys 'writing' With Computers Being So Prevalent?

stephenfountain

... making laundry and to do lists,

Forgive my potentially politically incorrect question, but exactly what is a 'laundry list'? :)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stephenfountain

• Sailor Kenshin

• Maurizio

• BradGad

To do lists. Drafts for whatever writing project I’ve got going (comic scripts, yelling about yarn, fanfic, yelling about art). Notes, because I can’t remember anything if I don’t write it down. Drawing.

I can start a drawing directly on the computer. And it can be very good. But a drawing with physical tools feels different and ends up different. Also good. I don’t really fuss about which is better, if I’m drawing it’s a good thing. I haven’t yet gotten a good feel for combining the two, but it’s a thing many artists do. Just not me yet.

Writing is the same way. I can write a draft directly on the computer. It’ll be good and readable and all that. I can write a draft by hand too. Again, it’ll still be good. But if I’m gonna share a thing I wrote by hand, I need to type it up, so it forces at least one extra edit pass. Those pieces get a lot more polished.

Basically, my brain is a weird and messy place. I just live with the mess and I don’t stress out too much about the process.

attachicon.gif IMG_3315 (1).JPG

Crosswords, baby!

Yes Sir!

Some might call doing crosswords in ink arrogant, but mine at times end up with cross outs and corrections. :P Thus, I find myself in heaven when I can find the "large print" crossword books (which also have large boxes), or if working a normal-size crossword I use a needle point pen. Generally use Noodler's inks because of the cheap newsprint paper, but sometimes IG inks.

I may not have been much help, but I DID bump your thread up to the top.

I teach at college level. Every note is hand written - readings notes, lectures notes, synthesis notes, evaluations notes and commentaries... I do write also (articles and essays mainly) and every first/second/third draft is hand written before going to computer, and of course all the preparation work is hand written. My planner is still paper planner (Hobonichi), and I am trying to keep a dream journal. So I do use my FPs a lot.

At university I did quite a lot of writing with the computer only (it was too time consuming to write by hand and then copy to the computer), but shifted to handwriting again when going to third grade. I did have elbow, wrist hand hand troubles and a good FP is what works best for me as a tool, and it is also what gives me the most pleasures when writing.

Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

As for me, I'm a student so I tend to have to take notes & I prefer to do so by hand. I'm also a Fanfiction writer, and I tend to make idea maps/layouts for each chapter some in the range of two to three pages, depending on the situation that I want to put the characters in(Excluding in November, when I do the novel challenge) I also use a planner for scheduling and I use fountain pens almost exclusively when making my schedule spreads! I also journal occasionally.

Regards,

Rosendust

Edited by Rosendust2121

<i>Many boys will bring you flowers. But someday you'll meet a boy who will learn your favourite flower, your favourite song, your favourite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart-Leigh Bardugo

. Please assume no affiliation, as I'm just a pleased customer. IG: Lenses and pens_

I've been asked by twenty-somethings who see me making quick notes in a pocket notebook whether it wouldn't be easier just to use the memo app on my smart phone. Well, no it wouldn't, not for me. I take all sorts of notes during a typical day. If there is some reason to back them up on the cloud, I'll use a computer or smart phone. Otherwise, it's simpler and more natural to hand write them.

I also keep a diary and try my hand at fiction. I try to keep the two separate.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

As a researcher, I (have to) write quite a lot. As others have said, I also do try my hand at some journaling and fiction. Moreover, when reading fiction or science, I feel I have to copy some quotes I like best, for further reflection. I have been using my computer for almost everything I write to have everything in sync in Dropbox, searchable text etc. However, after buying some high end fountain pens after years of passion and interest, but never very seriously, I started writing everything by hand.

Sometimes, I write the drafts by hand and the final versions on the computer, other times I write both by hand and then copy in the computer. But I now feel I must write by hand, because I feel so much more engaged in what I do. I don't see it tedious to copy then in the computer, because this way I get an extra reading and furthermore, I really feel a closer connection to my works when actually drawing the letters by pen, so this step cannot be skipped.

Thank you :blush:

The red pen is Platinum #3776 Century, medium nib :P

Which I have! So whyyyy doesn't my handwriting magically look like yours? ;)

I write to-do lists, shopping lists, cooking directions, knit/crochet instructions, stories, poems, daily whatevers (too many journals!) and letters. You'd think that pen would take pity on me.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I write out notes, to do lists, letters, journal entries, sermon outlines and editing the notes when I print them out.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

I write to organize my ideas at work, at some point I'll start doing presentations with Keynote / PowerPoint as a prop, instead of hiding behind the screen, and for mental hygiene with non work ideas; one day I might even start writing for the heck of it, it's great to have a technology that makes me want to write more, like a Sailor Pro Gear with my eyes feasting on Tsuyu Kusa, or any of my other 22 inks.

There are many things that are done better or faster on a computer, but I tried for years mindmapping apps and came away even more confused.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I have just recent rediscovered the joys of using a fountain pen, but I must confess, I don't actually 'write' that much. Most of my work is done on a computer as is most people I know.

So I'm just curious, with all these fabulous fountain pens floating about, when do you guys actually use them?

There's work and there's writing​. Jotting down a phone number or address, making a Chopin Liszt, leaving a note for someone - hard to imagine going through a whole day without​ needing a writing implement.

And, since some stuff has to be written (even if it may not be much), we like to use something nice to do it with.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I hope this changes but, so far, I've given only the most "exciting" kind of work to my fountain pens. Grocery lists, meeting minutes, short notes, etc are done by ballpoints. When I journal or write a poem or a letter, I use one of my fountain pens.

As others have mentioned, I find that writing creatively seems to work better with a pen in hand rather than a computer keyboard--mostly because it takes more time to write with a pen and my brain seems to be coming up with all kinds of things that get lost if I'm speeding along on a computer.

I love my laptop for editing--for cutting and pasting and moving--but I prefer hand to pen to paper for the first draft of anything. Not that a computer cannot be used creatively! But it does seem to produce a very different result. I also like the idea that, sans electricity, a writer with a pen can keep going, despite the circumstances.

Lately I've tried sketching with a fountain pen... love the effects of adding water. Why didn't I think of that sooner...

M

Moderation in everything, including moderation.

--Mark Twain

I write daily in my journal. I write several letters and cards every month. I participate in a traveling notebook. I take notes when I study. I practice my handwriting. I get a lot of use out of my pens.

I went paperless for a few years but I am so glad that I found my way back to pen and paper. The quality of my writing has improved and I find writing by hand to be more relaxing.

Edited by john74

Forgive my potentially politically incorrect question, but exactly what is a 'laundry list'? :)

A laundry list is what loads of laundry I have to do any given week (generally on Sundays), and roughly when each load has to go in to the washer (I like to do all the laundry at once if at all possible, rather than doing one load every day (especially since the laundry room is the basement, and most of the stuff that is sorted is on the second floor) -- it feels less like a chore somehow, and is more efficient IMO because I can be running the dryer with one load while the washer has the next load in).

Yeah, I get a fair amount of exercise on Sundays, running up and down 2 flights of stairs all day. Plus I can get OTHER stuff done in between (like answering threads on FPN.... B)).

I have some extra ones today (blankets and the mattress pad), but I also have some loads so small that it's not really worth running a load, or else combining loads (stuff like my light colored shirts and sweatshirts went in with the sheets this week; the dark load and my towels might end up getting put in with the comforter cover...).

And it's now in fact roughly time to check on things (the new dryer is taking some getting used to, and I think it's running longer).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Aahhh, I see the advantage now of being a bachelor LOL My laundry goes from my basket, in to my washing machine, never had to write a list in my life! My goodness, your life sounds hectic :)

Letters & postcards to all corners of the world.

I joined postcrossing.com and send, and receive tiny windows to the world around the globe.

I also write and journal.

1st drafts are always handwritten - notes in pencil or fountain pen. I bought a bunch of A6 booklets from Clas Ohlson for 99p a pair. The paper is blank and I hav eone such stashed in every coat pocket so I never leave the house without paper. I'll then write sketches or noodle over a coffee or beer, or when on the train. Practice is practice. It's more portable than a laptop and I'm not dependent upon batteries.

I completed NaNoWriMo with a handwritten draft.

I do have Scrivener software and other stuff to write on a computer, but I work better with paper initially. with paper you get 3-dimensional organisation - you can have layers of paper and different versions in front of you - which is harder to do on a computer.

.... It's more portable than a laptop and I'm not dependent upon batteries.

As the owner of a 12 year old Nokia with a battery life measured in weeks, I just love this statement!

Yes Sir!

Some might call doing crosswords in ink arrogant, but mine at times end up with cross outs and corrections. :P Thus, I find myself in heaven when I can find the "large print" crossword books (which also have large boxes), or if working a normal-size crossword I use a needle point pen. Generally use Noodler's inks because of the cheap newsprint paper, but sometimes IG inks.

Not so much arrogant as unnecessary. :) At least for me. I don't do crosswords in newspapers, at least not usually, as I don't subscribe to one. But I have crossword puzzle books across a fairly wide range of difficulty, and I have pencils. And if I should buy a newspaper when traveling, I'll always have a mechanical pencil with me.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin