Faggionato Petrarque Pwf

visvamitra

Fred Faggionato is a French pen artisan who makes a wide variety of handmade fountain pens. I admired his creations for some time but every time I was just about to get one of them, other expenses appeared. Out of nowhere. Probably some malevolent forces were at work.

In 2017 Polish fountain pen board users chose Faggionato Petrarque as their pen board pen. After short negotiations with Fred Faggionato thirteen pens in blue cellulose acetate were made and offered for a discounted price (bulk-order) to Polish users. It seems this material is no longer available so we can assume that this thirteen pens will remain unique. On the other hand, Petrarque is available in plenty of stunning materials so if you enjoy the design you'll find one that suits your taste.

The pen comes in nice cardboard box.

fpn_1517731467__f_box.jpg

fpn_1517730930__ff_pwf_10.jpg

Petrarque is available in two sizes - we've chosen smaller one and it's a perfect fit. It's light, slick and comfortable. The material is gorgeous. It's shiny and rich, especially in the direct sunlight. Plenty of colors can be seen - blue, grey, greem, yellowish, silver. It's definitely an eye-catcher that will stand out in the middle of the flock of funeral black pens.

Apart form the box and the pen, there's also a warranty card that was written with ballpoint pen. A small faux-pas, I would say.

fpn_1517732655__certificat.jpg

My Petrarque is marked as 6/13.

Cap

fpn_1517732112__ff_pwf_9.jpg

The pen has a flat top and bottom, and it is adorned only with a steel concave clip engraved with FF logo. The cap screws on to the barrel tightly, maybe even too tightly. At times I have to fiddle with it to get the threads to line up and work smoothly. I realise that crafting threads is a difficult art but I expected that Fred Faggionato had mastered it. I'm not so sure now.

The clip looks well. It may be my favorite clip on the market.

Section

fpn_1517731499__ff_pwf_2.jpg

The section is slightly curved. It's not as wide as the barrel but I wouldn't call it thin. It's long and very feels very comfortable in my hand.

Body

fpn_1517732198__ff_pwf_8.jpg

fpn_1517732227__ff_pwf_4.jpg

fpn_1517732640__f1.jpg

It's done well. The material is stunning and the shape of rhe body looks nice to me.

Nib

fpn_1517732043__ff_pwf_3.jpg

Munken Pure Rough 100 g (Aonibi Kyonooto)

fpn_1517732064__aonibi_f.jpg

The medium nib is smooth and quite wet. It won't allow you to get a lot of line variation, but it does have a slight amount of give, so I wouldn't call it a “nail.” One thing that's slightly irritating is the fact that the feed can go slightly dry at times and in order to improve the flow you have to turn converter.

Filling system

fpn_1517731693__ff_pwf_1.jpg

International standard - you can use converter or cartridges.

Summary

Overall, I'm rather satisfied with this purchase. I love the design and the material. My enthusiasm is a bit subdued because of the issues with threads and drying feed. They're not overwhelming, though. I use the pen and enjoy it. Having said that, I think it should be improved. I would expect a flawless pen from such a well known and cherished artisan.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• southpaw

• Barkingpig

• Kolektor

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that is a beautiful pen! Thank you for the honest review and the fantastic photos!

The feed issues might be solved by finding an ink that that the pens likes more?

Thank you for your review of this pen. I felt quite @ home because only a short while ago, I also was able to get a Petrarch, although an acrylic, from a past collection. He had stated on his site to inquire if any other pens were of interest, including the discontinued models. I contacted him & after a bit of discussion, he suggested letting the "nice folks from PAPIER PLUME" pick up the pen when they were in France, return to the US, fit my nib of choice, a 1.5 stub & ship the pen to me. It seemed like FOREVER, until I received the pen, but it was merely my anticipation & actually just about a month!

I have filled the pen with the Graf von Faber Castell olive ink; a new pen & new ink arrived within days of each other & I have been happy with the combination. I have not had the feed starvation you mention, but with merely the first fill, it is "early days." I have appreciated the finish of the pen & although I think the clip quite stylish & functional was disappointed in the faint engraving of the "double, back facing, Fs" found on the clip. I honestly thought they were non existent, until I looked more closely @ the clip.

It was a pleasure to meet your pen & I appreciate hearing from the only other owner of a Faggionato pen of late; they are surely not mentioned often here.

Amazing material! I have a FF pen i picked up from fpn. Quality is superb. I'd suggest on such a beautiful, special edition pen to get any bugs fixed. They'll just pull from enjoying it to the fullest. Furthermore, from what I've read, I suspect Mr. Faggionato would not want one of his customers less than fully satisfied or one of his pens being a bit off. Again, simply stunning pen!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)