Anyone Regularly Refill Sailor Cartridges Vs. Converter Use?

Tseg

In several weeks my Sailor King of Pen with Broad nib will arrive. I believe the ink cartridge holds nearly double the capacity of the converter. Does anyone regularly refill their Sailor cartridges rather than use a converter to get the extra capacity?

I understand most cartridges can easily be refilled 20+ times... is this true with Sailor?

Any cartridge specific issues surface when used this way with Sailor pens?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tseg

• Bluey

• 25_15_3

• Olya

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I do. No major problems so far and I'm sure I've refilled most of them more than 50 times, but a syringe is better suited than a pipette because the mouth of the cartridge isn't fully open like it is with Pilot's

Edited by Bluey

I prefer Sailor cartridges over converter as I like the extra ink capacity. I haven't run into any issues with refilling.

Perfect. Thanks. I already have the syringes with blunt needles so should be in a good place. I bought 2 backs of Sailor cartridges to use and build up some inventory of empties.

I also refill the carts, and have done so countless times, with all the big 3 Japanese brands and have not noticed any of them remotely wearing out. I think it's due to the wide opening. In any case, one cartridge by Sailor (Pilot or Platinum) should last you a very long time!

I can also attest for the durability of the Sailor cartridge plastic. Have refilled mine a dozen times in a few months with no issue. I also use a syringe to fill.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

For filling my Sailors I'll mostly use a converter but on occasion will use Kiwa-Guro ink in a cartridge form. Sailor carts & converters (Platinum & Pilot as well) seem to have a solid, more failproof connection between their feed's nipples & their cartridge/converter openings than the international type of connection. I never experienced leaking around Sailor's cartridge or converter openings. I've had a couple of Sailor converters leak, but from the back & that's another issue.

With a cartridge you needn't worry about that. ;)

More than likely Sailor cartridges will give you little trouble through repeated fillings & installations. That said, with repeated use, all connections eventually break down. Keep an eye on where your cartridge or converter joins the pen's section.

After filling & writing for a while, I make a habit of checking where my converter gets connected. I've been able to minimize any leak before it becomes a messy problem.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Hello Tseg,

Like the others above, I also re-fill Sailor cartridges. No problems at all. I use a syringe with its needle's point sanded down to blunt. At the moment, in a KoP King Profit with standard M nib, I have a mix of 1/2 Kon Peki & 1/2 old (1990s) Montblanc royal blue. Makes a very rich & colorful shade. Of course, if you mix inks, let them sit in the cartridge for a day or longer to see if any chemical changes cause flakey solids or gummy paste to form. Both occasionally happen, but it's rare in my experience.

Enjoy your new KoP with B nib.

All the best,

Barry