A Visit To Kawakubo Pens

25_15_3

I wanted to take a trip to Kawakubo Pens after sugna mentioned it in his posts. At the time, I was going to order online originally a year or two ago, but the emails stopped coming one day and I didn't end up ordering.

The pen shop itself is rather small, just a small length of walking space where you have to take off your shoes. The shop itself seems mostly orientated towards taking in pens for repair rather than selling pens. There is a glass display of pens but is rather insubstantial.

When I first arrived, I was met by Mr.Kawakubo's wife I'm guessing. She was asking me if I was taking in a pen for repair and something that I didn't quite follow. She eventually called for Mr.Kawakubo after I she asked where I was from - of which I responded America.

I ended up talking with Mr.Kawakubo about this and that which eventually ended up with a pen purchase: the goal of this little adventure.

Mr.Kawakubo was very friendly and helped me through the process of what I wanted for the pen. The model I had already thought about beforehand was the Imperial.

As for the material, I asked Kawakubo what he had for wood. He showed me a few wood blanks of ebony, rosewood, purplewood, and another wood I don't remember the name of. I ended up choosing purplewood.

As for the trim color - he offers silver and gold - and he recommended silver which is what I went with.

Afterwards, I asked about the filling system. He told me that the Imperial model uses a captive converter. I didn't quite like the idea of it and asked if he could make a cartridge option. After contemplating a bit, Mr.Kawakubo greenlighted the idea and asked me which cartridge I would like for the pen and I replied with Pilot.

Mr.Kawakubo also asked for other details such as nib size, name, address, method of payment. Currently the estimate time for making the pen is 3 months. This is despite him repeatedly saying that he was rather busy with repairs currently.

I ended up leaving with a copy of my order and a print out of the a description and maintenance of the Imperial model.

I would definitely recommend other FPN members to visit if you are ever in Tokyo and have some interest in this pen maker. Also, he does speak some English.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 25_15_3

• Sblakers

• Maurizio

• Donald2

Does Mr. Kawakubo take American Express? What does he charge for building a fountain pen like the one that he's making for you?

Does Mr. Kawakubo take American Express? What does he charge for building a fountain pen like the one that he's making for you?

When I was talking with him, he asked me for card, bank transfer (iirc), or paypal.

I honestly don't know the price. I'm assuming its around the same prices on his website for the Imperial model. I've emailed him recently to ask to see if he could make the cap wood also - no response yet.

never had a chance to visit the shop when in tokyo. can't wait to see the final product of your order.

-rudy-

Yes thanks for posting. Please put up photos here when you get what seems like will be a gorgeous pen. I love wooden pens. Is his website in English?

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

Shoot. My son just started taking Japanese as a freshman in high school. I’ll guess I’ll see how much he’s learned so far.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

I just ordered a pen from him. Very nice person and easy to deal with. Communication was easy peasy as his English is excellent. I ordered a completely custom pen. For my pen (maybe it’s different for other orders)there is a 4 month wait for completion. You can pay by pay pal and he has no problem shipping to US. To put it mildly, I am incredibly excited about this pen.

I just ordered a pen from him. Very nice person and easy to deal with. Communication was easy peasy as his English is excellent. I ordered a completely custom pen. For my pen (maybe it’s different for other orders)there is a 4 month wait for completion. You can pay by pay pal and he has no problem shipping to US. To put it mildly, I am incredibly excited about this pen.

Nice! Looking forward to seeing the final result for your pen.

By any chance, did you communicate with him by email? I haven't been able to get a response to my mail despite trying 2 emails.

I communicate through face book messenger I think its called. You can go on his face book page and there will be an option to message him. Thats how Ive done it anyway. He does seem very busy as it took 4 days for him to quote a price to me. However He did warn me it would take a while.

Edited by Sblakers

I communicate through face book messenger I think its called. You can go on his face book page and there will be an option to message him. Thats how Ive done it anyway. He does seem very busy as it took 4 days for him to quote a price to me. However He did warn me it would take a while.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot.

How much does he charge for a pen like the one that you ordered?

It was $1300 with shipping. But I got the imperial -eye dropper version with a number 30 pilot nib. So everytjjng has to be made larger. Its going to be a pretty big pen. But thats what I prefer. The Bakelite imperial model was the pen I chose.

Edited by Sblakers

It was $1300 with shipping. But I got the imperial -eye dropper version with a number 30 pilot nib. So everytjjng has to be made larger. Its going to be a pretty big pen. But thats what I prefer. The Bakelite imperial model was the pen I chose.

Sounds like an absolute banger of a pen. Can't wait to see what the result of it is.

I like These pens, from the pictures I can see on the website. Unfortunately I am not a Japanese speaker but I will try the FB messenger to see what happens!

I look forward to seeing pictures of the OPs and sblakers pens in due course :)

• 2 months later...