Franklin-Christoph Model 20 Marietta (Black-Medium Steel Nib)

IndigoBOB

Franklin-Christoph Model 20 Marietta Review

The design of the Franklin-Christoph Model 20 Marietta undoubtedly borrows from vintage pens, but the company’s own adaptations revive such characteristics into a retro design that I feel offers a unique and ever modern fountain pen.

post-138369-0-52159000-1521173911_thumb.jpg

Mailed:

• Franklin-Christoph packages their shipments very well.
    • In a small white F-C box the Marietta itself arrives in a zippered dark leather pouch with a smooth suede inner lining: I love this. The pouch is useful, looks good, and is durable.
    • It comes with a standard international converter, 2 small international ink cartridges and uses a #6 Jowo nib unit.

The Pen (Black Marietta -Medium Steel nib):

• Small-Medium sized fountain pen.
    • I really like the size because it’s small enough for me to take anywhere easily yet large enough to feel like a full sized pen without being posted.
    • Very Durable Machined Acrylic, which feels very sturdy.
    • Can be eye-droppered : )
    • Well-polished lovely black acrylic. It is not a finger print magnet at all.
    • The pen can be fully disassembled and cleaned easily.
    • Measurements are on their website : http://www.franklin-christoph.com/model-20-marietta.html

post-138369-0-21656900-1521174048_thumb.jpg

The Body:

• A hollow cylinder that tapers to a flattened end congruently with the angle of the pen’s section allowing for relatively deep and comfortable posting.
    • 2 notches at the end of the barrel match those at the end of the cap and provide not only an aesthetically symmetrical appeal, and also offer a nice bit of friction when pulling the pen out of a pen case or pocket, which I appreciate.

The Cap:

• A basic cylinder with a flattened end and two notches.
    • Has a relatively minimal and inconspicuous branding of “Franklin-Christoph 20” etched under the clip and and the F-C branding at the flattened end.

The Clip:

• Has a flattened and smooth design with lateral facets at the median and a subtle flare at the end and 4 diamonds etched along its length. The design is a complimenting accent to the overall appearance of the pen and I appreciate that.
    • Sturdy yet has sufficient spring.
    • Provides secure and easy placement without scraping or catching.

post-138369-0-84215800-1521174128_thumb.jpg

Capping and uncapping is friction fit with a lot of attention paid to its design:

• Snug yet isn’t difficult to remove. ****They really got this right.
    • Pressure is distributed to the lip of the section to reduce cracking.
    • Interior of the cap designed to reduce the air vacuum when uncapping to prevent spurts of ink, which I haven’t experienced.

The Section:

• When uncapped there are no threads nor a shelf, but instead two notches all in all adding a pleasant comfort for my thumb.
    • The section tapers down very comfortably to a decently sized lip that is well articulated to contour the grip. The section has an incremental taper from its widest point that is similar to the incremental taper of the lip, both of which are angled beautifully to contour your fingers at both ends of the predominant taper of the section.
    • Honestly, I am not the biggest fan of acrylic pen sections, but the Marietta does a great job.

post-138369-0-09523200-1521174371.jpg

The Nib:

• Lovely ornamentation and F-C logo.
    • #6 Jowo and recessed, which some may not like, but I’m glad they used a larger sized #6 nib recessed rather than a #5 that wasn’t recessed.
    • I have used Medium and Broad steel F-C nibs with the Marietta and they write fairly stiff yet smoothly. They feel well tuned and precise OOTB and not your typical Jowo out of the factory.
    • These steel nibs feel like an intermediate between a Gold and Steel nib and I’m very impressed. ****Franklin-Christoph steel nibs feel fantastic and that’s just the start.
    • INKFLOW: Is honestly just right: Not too wet and not dry. Flow is very consistent even with drier inks with no skips nor sputtering lines and I’m very impressed. This Marietta does its job to write and it does it superbly OOTB.
    • The nibs are easily replaceable and F-C offers a large selection with specialty and Gold nibs as well.

Customer service:

• The nib can be relatively tuned to your liking or you can order from a myriad of options including Masuyama ground nibs. This is very hard to beat.
    • The staff at F-C are amazing and simply provide the highest standards of customer service, and are receptive to communication. They want you to have a high quality writing instrument work for you and that’s what if feels like when interacting with their staff and when simply writing with this pen.

Value:

• Now, I honestly can put a Jowo nib on a Jinhao and have it write well, but that pen doesn’t have close the feel nor look of the Marietta, and quite frankly is not perfected the way this Marietta is. The subtleties of this pen are etched with precision with minds that are intent on perfecting their craft and offering the most in their design to innovate and enhance the writing experience.
    • With this Marietta, even with just a round steel nib, I feel like I have a writing instrument that reflects its price point.
    • The customer service and lifetime warranty behind the Franklin-Christoph Fountain Pens validates an essence to this writing instrument that shows it’s not mass produced but crafted by a pen manufacturer who wants to enhance your writing experience and continue to produce pens that feel as good as any mass produced pen above it’s price bracket.
    • I think the Franklin-Christoph Model 20 Marietta is special. I think the combination of value, design, build, style, functionality, and durability is optimaI. If it’s not your preference Franklin-Christoph has done an exceptional job in providing a variety of equivalent options along the lines of varying preferences, and they continue to evolve.

Cons (I’ve basically have gone through mentioning all the advantages and pros to the Marietta so I’d like to touch on the negatives of the pen):

• The acrylic may be too lightweight for some or simply not your preference.
    • The acrylic may become slick if you have oily hands.
    • The recessed nib may not be to your liking.
    • When refilling by converter the ink may get stuck in the inner portion of the section where the nib is recessed (paper towel should work).
    • What I would love to see is Franklin-Christoph use a material like that of Makrolon/ The Lamy 2000 or even Ebonite (OMG I would be in heaven).

Conclusion:

Overall, I think the Franklin-Christoph Model 20 Marietta is a superb writing instrument. This is a pen that you can safely buy as a gift, but may very likely keep for your self ; ). I normally wouldn’t review a pen in this detail, but despite the pen’s minimalistic design, I feel this review reflect’s how Franklin-Christoph paid great attention to detail when creating the Marietta.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IndigoBOB

• writerstephen

• darazs

• Driften

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Franklin-Christoph Model 20 Marietta Review

The design of the Franklin-Christoph Model 20 Marietta undoubtedly borrows from vintage pens, but the company’s own adaptations revive such characteristics into a retro design that I feel offers a unique and ever modern fountain pen.

attachicon.gif P2240024.JPG

Mailed:

• Franklin-Christoph packages their shipments very well.
    • In a small white F-C box the Marietta itself arrives in a zippered dark leather pouch with a smooth suede inner lining: I love this. The pouch is useful, looks good, and is durable.
    • It comes with a standard international converter, 2 small international ink cartridges and uses a #6 Jowo nib unit.

The Pen (Black Marietta -Medium Steel nib):

• Small-Medium sized fountain pen.
    • I really like the size because it’s small enough for me to take anywhere easily yet large enough to feel like a full sized pen without being posted.
    • Very Durable Machined Acrylic, which feels very sturdy.
    • Can be eye-droppered : )
    • Well-polished lovely black acrylic. It is not a finger print magnet at all.
    • The pen can be fully disassembled and cleaned easily.
    • Measurements are on their website : http://www.franklin-christoph.com/model-20-marietta.html

attachicon.gif P2240032.JPG

The Body:

• A hollow cylinder that tapers to a flattened end congruently with the angle of the pen’s section allowing for relatively deep and comfortable posting.
    • 2 notches at the end of the barrel match those at the end of the cap and provide not only an aesthetically symmetrical appeal, and also offer a nice bit of friction when pulling the pen out of a pen case or pocket, which I appreciate.

The Cap:

• A basic cylinder with a flattened end and two notches.
    • Has a relatively minimal and inconspicuous branding of “Franklin-Christoph 20” etched under the clip and and the F-C branding at the flattened end.

The Clip:

• Has a flattened and smooth design with lateral facets at the median and a subtle flare at the end and 4 diamonds etched along its length. The design is a complimenting accent to the overall appearance of the pen and I appreciate that.
    • Sturdy yet has sufficient spring.
    • Provides secure and easy placement without scraping or catching.

attachicon.gif P2240021.JPG

Capping and uncapping is friction fit with a lot of attention paid to its design:

• Snug yet isn’t difficult to remove. ****They really got this right.
    • Pressure is distributed to the lip of the section to reduce cracking.
    • Interior of the cap designed to reduce the air vacuum when uncapping to prevent spurts of ink, which I haven’t experienced.

The Section:

• When uncapped there are no threads nor a shelf, but instead two notches all in all adding a pleasant comfort for my thumb.
    • The section tapers down very comfortably to a decently sized lip that is well articulated to contour the grip. The section has an incremental taper from its widest point that is similar to the incremental taper of the lip, both of which are angled beautifully to contour your fingers at both ends of the predominant taper of the section.
    • Honestly, I am not the biggest fan of acrylic pen sections, but the Marietta does a great job.

attachicon.gif P2240019.JPG

The Nib:

• Lovely ornamentation and F-C logo.
    • #6 Jowo and recessed, which some may not like, but I’m glad they used a larger sized #6 nib recessed rather than a #5 that wasn’t recessed.
    • I have used Medium and Broad steel F-C nibs with the Marietta and they write fairly stiff yet smoothly. They feel well tuned and precise OOTB and not your typical Jowo out of the factory.
    • These steel nibs feel like an intermediate between a Gold and Steel nib and I’m very impressed. ****Franklin-Christoph steel nibs feel fantastic and that’s just the start.
    • INKFLOW: Is honestly just right: Not too wet and not dry. Flow is very consistent even with drier inks with no skips nor sputtering lines and I’m very impressed. This Marietta does its job to write and it does it superbly OOTB.
    • The nibs are easily replaceable and F-C offers a large selection with specialty and Gold nibs as well.

Customer service:

• The nib can be relatively tuned to your liking or you can order from a myriad of options including Masuyama ground nibs. This is very hard to beat.
    • The staff at F-C are amazing and simply provide the highest standards of customer service, and are receptive to communication. They want you to have a high quality writing instrument work for you and that’s what if feels like when interacting with their staff and when simply writing with this pen.

Value:

• Now, I honestly can put a Jowo nib on a Jinhao and have it write well, but that pen doesn’t have close the feel nor look of the Marietta, and quite frankly is not perfected the way this Marietta is. The subtleties of this pen are etched with precision with minds that are intent on perfecting their craft and offering the most in their design to innovate and enhance the writing experience.
    • With this Marietta, even with just a round steel nib, I feel like I have a writing instrument that reflects its price point.
    • The customer service and lifetime warranty behind the Franklin-Christoph Fountain Pens validates an essence to this writing instrument that shows it’s not mass produced but crafted by a pen manufacturer who wants to enhance your writing experience and continue to produce pens that feel as good as any mass produced pen above it’s price bracket.
    • I think the Franklin-Christoph Model 20 Marietta is special. I think the combination of value, design, build, style, functionality, and durability is optimaI. If it’s not your preference Franklin-Christoph has done an exceptional job in providing a variety of equivalent options along the lines of varying preferences, and they continue to evolve.

Cons (I’ve basically have gone through mentioning all the advantages and pros to the Marietta so I’d like to touch on the negatives of the pen):

• The acrylic may be too lightweight for some or simply not your preference.
    • The acrylic may become slick if you have oily hands.
    • The recessed nib may not be to your liking.
    • When refilling by converter the ink may get stuck in the inner portion of the section where the nib is recessed (paper towel should work).
    • What I would love to see is Franklin-Christoph use a material like that of Makrolon/ The Lamy 2000 or even Ebonite (OMG I would be in heaven).

Conclusion:

Overall, I think the Franklin-Christoph Model 20 Marietta is a superb writing instrument. This is a pen that you can safely buy as a gift, but may very likely keep for your self ; ). I normally wouldn’t review a pen in this detail, but despite the pen’s minimalistic design, I feel this review reflect’s how Franklin-Christoph paid great attention to detail when creating the Marietta.

Thank you for posting this very thorough review.

This is a pen I've been looking at ever since F-C introduced it. I had a chance to handle a Marietta & its cartridge only (Pocket 20) variation at the 2016 Scriptus show in Toronto. At that time I was leaning towards the Pocket, but I see now that the Marietta may be a better option.

BTW: What did you mean that the nib is recessed?

Do you mean that the collar of the JoWo nib-unit is hidden below the level of the section's opening?

Personally, I prefer the collar to be at least level with section, for aesthetic reasons. But a JoWo feed has its ink channel where the nib comes out from the collar on the nib-unit, at the root of the exposed feed, if you will.

This means that the some part of the Marietta's section will have to be below the surface of the ink during the filling process. I can understand your concern.

(You have immerse a JoWo nib into ink deep enough to reach this opening, otherwise you cannot draw up any ink. For this reason JoWo #6 nibs are not compatible with Sailor's ink filling funnels. I used to fill my F-C Iterum from a sample vial when using Sailor inks or when filling from other almost empty ink bottles.)

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Thank you for posting this very thorough review.

This is a pen I've been looking at ever since F-C introduced it. I had a chance to handle a Marietta & its cartridge only (Pocket 20) variation at the 2016 Scriptus show in Toronto. At that time I was leaning towards the Pocket, but I see now that the Marietta may be a better option.

BTW: What did you mean that the nib is recessed?

Do you mean that the collar of the JoWo nib-unit is hidden below the level of the section's opening?

You're welcome. Yes the pen is one of the most reliable pens I've ever used and I felt compelled to write a review.

Yes, the recessed nib means that the collar of the nib unit is hidden below the level of the section's opening instead of being flush. Thus there is a space where ink does catch when submersing the nib tip into a bottle for filling and it does require a paper towel to clean out that cavity if filled that way.

Yes, when filling the ink with Kiwa-Guro, I had fill by converter alone. The initial fill took one extra step priming the feed then refilling the converter to full capacity, but subsequent fills required only filling the converter. Sailor ink bottles are most inconvenient lol, unless I use pens with a #5 nib.

Personally, I'm glad they did that instead of using a #5 nib that wasn't recessed for aesthetics as well as the fact that it offers an in between of a #5 and #6 nib. But further more I personally would like to see them come out with a Marietta-like design that has a similar sized and shaped section with a non-recessed #6 nib as you prefer. Right now they do offer the Pocket 66 and Stabilis 66 which provide such dimensions for their sections, but the Pocket 66 was too small for me and doesn't take a converter, and the Stabilis 66 is too large for me for EDC. Plus I need a clip on my pens.

I feel like Franklin-Chirstoph has a little gap in their inventory there, but when I talked to them about this they said to keep an eye out in 2018.

I liked the shape of the Model 02, but the section was just too wide for me. I felt their Model 31 was a lovely pen, but I prefer a slightly smaller size for EDC and the section didn't have enough contour for me to hold onto easily (too flat for me). I prefer an accentuated lip at the end of my section, which is why the Marietta appealed to me so much. But like I said, this also reflects Franklin-Christophs large amount of options along varying customer preferences. For individuals who love their Panther Model, I couldn't recommend the Model 31 more. And for individuals who do like a wider grip section, the Model 02 would be a pleasure.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for a thorough and well written review. Re Sailor bottles: I love Sailor ink but hate the funnel. I remove them since I have #6 nibs on quite a few pens.

Mary Plante

Fantastic review. Thanks!

I think so too. To the point and well articulated.

I find that FC produces pens that please their owners. Another temptation :)

Thank you for a thorough and well written review. Re Sailor bottles: I love Sailor ink but hate the funnel. I remove them since I have #6 nibs on quite a few pens.

Thank you both very much.

The experience of using this pen was unique and it stood out among all my pens I used, including the Lamy 2000, my Pilot Custom Heritage 92 (which I had to have sent to Mark Bacas to get to write properly), and other pens in the same price range, and despite it being only a steel nib, it was preferable especially with Sailor ink.

I tried to capture the essence of the pen by spiraling the details to the point of Franklin-Christoph's own Philosophy they elaborate on on their webpage and show that it is reflected in their work and is felt when using and owning their writing instruments.

But on a more basic regard of the Marietta, it worked OOTB and worked very well, and after trying other similarly price pens that were a little temperamental with inks I preferred and worked well in the Marietta, that was just so nice to say the least.

Good work. I got this pen in vintage green and it started my obsession with F-C.

That's a good way of putting it: the "F-C effect". I experienced the "Masuyama Effect" when I tried out one of his stub nibs from them. I think The Pen Habit expressed it accurately in song on his review of the 1901(2:40):

These effects simply sent F-C to the top of my list.

Plus I'm the worst because I have some arthritis and my requirements are fickle, but F-C's customer service was so above and beyond and simply provided the best nibs I've ever used.

... Just a lot of A Grade experiences from them all around.

I have had several F-C's and found they work best eyedroppered. They dry out faster when using a converter. At least that is the case on my model02 and 31. The 31 also has the recessed #6 nib and I don't care for how ink gets caught in it, but it's mostly an OCD thing since my pen has a semi-transparent section and I can see the ink. If I had your solid color section I would not care so much!

I think you got a great pen and I have considered buying one.

Thank you for your thorough review.

I have 2 Mariettas; a vintage green, with an 18k nib, that I’ve had for approx 3 years & a slightly more recent violet-blue non-standard colour with a steel nib. Love them both. The #20 has to be up there as one of my most comfortable pens. I can write with either of mine for hours without any sign of fatigue.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I have had several F-C's and found they work best eyedroppered. They dry out faster when using a converter. At least that is the case on my model02 and 31. The 31 also has the recessed #6 nib and I don't care for how ink gets caught in it, but it's mostly an OCD thing since my pen has a semi-transparent section and I can see the ink. If I had your solid color section I would not care so much!

I think you got a great pen and I have considered buying one.

Well, especially when you have a transparent section. That would bother me, too, and I'd have to clean it.

Thank you for your thorough review.

I have 2 Mariettas; a vintage green, with an 18k nib, that I’ve had for approx 3 years & a slightly more recent violet-blue non-standard colour with a steel nib. Love them both. The #20 has to be up there as one of my most comfortable pens. I can write with either of mine for hours without any sign of fatigue.

Yes, I think they did a great job on that section. It's different from their other sections and it's really nice to see them try new things and explore new ideas, especially with adapting vintage ideas. I don't know of any other pen company that explores new ideas and adapts new designs the way Franklin-Christoph does. That takes a lot of creativity and willingness and it's nice to see.

I like those kind of basic sections with a nice taper to a substantial flare, but you don't see that too often.

I like the TWSBI Eco-T, the Lamy Safari's, the Ranga Model 3, FPR Himalaya and now the Franklin-Christoph Model 20 due to them having substantial flares at the ends of their tapered sections (plus dimensions that work for me, not too wide), but there aren't many other options like that besides the Aurora 88, Optima and Talentum which are on my list.

Top notch review of an excellent pen! I've got an older one in translucent green and a newer on e in transparent blue, both with fine S.I.G. nibs. As I read your review, I found myself saying, "Yup. Got that right." Cant recommend F-C enough for CS n quality. Whole heartedly agree on an ebonite pen!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Thank you very much : )

I've been eyeing the new Model 451. I like the dimensions a lot, especially for an EDC.

• 2 weeks later...

I find this pen to be one of the very few I've acquired that I can find no fault with whatever. I particularly like the almost magical slip-fit of the cap both in capping and posting, the wonderful finish all over, and the pen's proportions. I admit to being baffled by the objections to the recessed nib unit; I can't see what possible difference this makes. But that's just me, I guess.

This is one pen I could unhesitatingly recommend to anybody seeking a reliable, smooth, elegant writer.

• 3 months later...

Thank you so much for posting this excellent review. I just bought one of these today (Friday), black with a broad steel nib, and it will be in my mailbox on Monday. I’m super excited, and your review helped verify that I’ve made an excellent buying decision.

Your welcome :)

Well I hope you like it as much as you anticipate *Fingers Crossed*

Please, if you don't mind, feel free to share your experience : )

Your welcome :)

Well I hope you like it as much as you anticipate *Fingers Crossed*

Please, if you don't mind, feel free to share your experience : )

If I don’t like it, I’m confident F-C will take care of any issue. And I will definitely share my experience. I will say the buying process was ridiculously easy—I got a shipping notification within an hour of ordering.

There are several pens in this price range that I’ve been coveting lately, including the Lamy 2k. And interestingly, F-C pens don’t really appeal to me aesthetically. But their philosophy and dedication to the craft weighed heavily in my decision.

I will say I wish they still offered the 20 in that pretty Tiger Red color.

I am not that crazy about the materials and aesthetics of Franklin-Christoph pens, but I love their 14k Masuyama-ground cursive italic nibs. I already had a medium one, and picked up a fine at the DC show. Their customer service is superlative, but it was sad not to see Jim Rouse's familiar smile at their table. RIP.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I am weak and gave in. I am the happy owner of a 33 (Abditus) with a fantastic Italic steel nib.

Thanks for this review that pushed me over the edge :)