Med Lamy 2000

minddance

I have a Lamy2000 fine and would want a wetter and smoother writing experience without a fussy sweet spot. Would Lamy2000 medium (or broad) be noticeably smoother and easier to write than the fine nib?

And how wet, roughly, are the medium and broad nibs?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• minddance

• moomaloo

• bogiesan

• torstar

Top Posters In This Topic

No. The medium also has the same sweet spot.

I've not tried the broad yet, only medium and fine. I didn't find the medium or fine overly wet.

The Lamy 2000 EF must be the driest pen I have ever used. I suspect you would have to have the medium nib tuned or buy from someone who will tune it. Most of the fountain pens I have used have an optimum orientation. I think the Lamys are more narrow in this respect than many other pens..

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

My Lamy 2000 F is both smooth and wet. So wet, it will only write as a fine if I use the driest inks I have.

I used to have a Lamy 2000 medium. That was in the days before I knew anything about sweet spots and rotating the pen and that pen skipped all the time.

There could be any number of things causing issues with your fine nib. If you want a wetter pen, you could try to see if changing to a different ink will make a difference. For me, that would mean trying it out with Aurora Black. But there are other inks known to be on the wet side. See this topic.

I think your first step should be to examine the nib with magnification. Some flow and alignment problems can be easily cured with a fingernail. See youtube and search the Lamy sub forum for tine alignment issues. Misaligned tines have a sweet spot only found by rotating the pen. Well-aligned tines have no sweet spot, they just feel good and they write.

Of course, I can’t hold your pen so just guessing that alignment or slit repairs may help in your situation.

My Lamy Safari and AlStar medium nibs were all excellent right out of the box.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

I agree with bogiesan above. I have a 2000 medium which writes like a dream - wet and smooth with no discernible sweet spot. But I also have a 2000 extra fine which is very fussy, scratchy and a bit of a PITA to be honest... I also have a Studio extra fine which writes perfectly.

I agree with bogiesan above. I have a 2000 medium which writes like a dream - wet and smooth with no discernible sweet spot. But I also have a 2000 extra fine which is very fussy, scratchy and a bit of a PITA to be honest... I also have a Studio extra fine which writes perfectly.

No sweet spot = 360 degrees or 180 degs writing? I don't quite understand the idea of 'no sweet spot', and seek enlightenment please.

I have a Lamy2000 fine and would want a wetter and smoother writing experience without a fussy sweet spot. Would Lamy2000 medium (or broad) be noticeably smoother and easier to write than the fine nib?

And how wet, roughly, are the medium and broad nibs?

My only problems with my 2000 is using Lamy ink in it, too dry.

The irony is too real to enjoy.