Montblanc 144 With Cartridge Remnants In Section

pajaro

I recently bought a black Montblanc 144 from the 80s or 90s with the section having plastic section threads instead of the later metal. I couldn't get the push-in converter to fit into the section. The seller said he always used cartridges, and the part that fitted around the section nipple would be left in the section when the spent cartridge was removed. Never having used a cartridge in my other 144s, I found this strange. The seller said he would have to pick out the cartridge remnant with a stiff piece of wire. Has anyone else had this experience? If so, I will never use the cartridges.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• Matlock

• CS388

• Chrissy

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh?

No, never had this issue with any 144's. Cartridges pop in and out, as they are supposed to.

Good luck.

I have never heard of this issue either. I wonder if he left them in so that they dried out and then the end broke off when he tried to remove the cartridge? Or there is too much dried ink around the nipple and the end of the cartridge breaks off in there.

Huh?

No, never had this issue with any 144's. Cartridges pop in and out, as they are supposed to.

Good luck.

I have never heard of this issue either. I wonder if he left them in so that they dried out and then the end broke off when he tried to remove the cartridge? Or there is too much dried ink around the nipple and the end of the cartridge breaks off in there.

Thank you both for the replies. I couldn't imagine this either. Chrissy's explanation makes sense. I dug the remnant out of the section, but put the section in the parts bin and used a new type section , not trusting the plastic-threaded section. I have another old 80s pen and old type converters as spares, and this cartridge-eating section can be a spare..

Thanks again for the help.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

Thank you both for the replies. I couldn't imagine this either. Chrissy's explanation makes sense. I dug the remnant out of the section, but put the section in the parts bin and used a new type section , not trusting the plastic-threaded section. I have another old 80s pen and old type converters as spares, and this cartridge-eating section can be a spare..

Thanks again for the help.

I have a plastic threaded 144 (as well as a couple of brass threaded ones). I have no problems with cartridges or the push in converter).

Peter

I have a plastic threaded 144 (as well as a couple of brass threaded ones). I have no problems with cartridges or the push in converter).

Thanks. I had never used the cartridges in the 144s, but I have had a lot of cartridges around. This latest 144 I bought would not fit the push-in converter, so I messaged the seller, and he wrote back that he used cartridges and sometimes had remnants from the cartridge left stuck in the section, and he had to dig them out. I had never heard of such a thing, so I replaced his section with a newer spare I had and a nib and feed that were in the newer section and the newer model converter. This will be more reliable. I then dug the cartridge out of the old section and was able to fit an old push-in spare converter to the old section. At this point I am kind of disgusted with this whole thing. Well, you learn about some of this stuff with every new pen adventure. The two tone medium nib looks good in the pen, but I like medium nibs little, which is why it was in the spare section.

When you are up to your neck in alligators, you sometimes forget that your original objective was to drain the swamp. I don't remember what I was aiming to achieve with this purchase. Maybe I'll make it into a rollerball. That will require a new rollerball section, a rollerball inner cap and a refill. There are no simple solutions.

Edited by pajaro