2018 March Tokyo Trip Report

koofle

Another March, another Tokyo trip. Visited Bungbox, Itoya, and the two pen shows, but first, a meeting with Hakase's Yamamoto-san to pick up my gorgeous black buffalo horn.

500330w.jpg

From Bungbox, their 8 pen box, "Eight pens a week [Toyooka Craft X Bung Box]" . I didn't buy any pens from them this year. Kaoru-san remembers every customer who passes by! Video of bungbox box in action here.

z42Nqhf.jpg

Kakimori and their Inkstand was a pleasant soujourn in a quieter neighbourhood. I did not make a custom notebook at Kakimori but I did sign up for an hour of ink mixing at inkstand.

Ink Stand, outside

PgYF6jK.jpg

Ink Stand, inside. you can see the base pigments and mixing equipment

Z5Pb2aG.jpg

Kakimori, where you can make your own custom notebook

zXf1HAZ.jpg

Many shelves around the store with stationery, here's one of pencils

EXezN2u.jpg

Side-note, Yamada Heiando is a laquerware brand with gorgeous household urushi pieces, and a fountain pen collaboration with Sailor or two. You can find branches at Daikanyama and Ginza Six. These have extra long bodies.

hMkQkDb.jpg

To the meat of the trip! Maruzen and Mitsukoshi. Here's a quick summary

The inks. Here's the Maruzen ink, Nihombashi Keyaki, named after a species of Japanese elm tree

8A1IdkL.jpg

Mitsukoshi named theirs after a tea.

HbU9Lyy.jpg

Swatch

kNDxrpt.jpg

Bought this year's Maruzen Pilot Urushi in red, to go with the blue from last year.

pb1X7oJ.jpg

Mitsukoshi's pens had a lot of Edo-period motifs which was very attractive, but I went with the pair of decimos. A more official name might be the 2018 Mitsukoshi Capless 市松 (Ichimatsu, "Checkered") in pink and blue.

Y6Rsy8G.jpg

Also, the 100th anniversary of Pilot this year has spurred something in me and I bought a 95th anniversary from Euro-box. Fuji-san very helpful and a delight to talk with as always.

6hcTrc9.jpg

Also picked up a few pens from Antique Fairs and Weekend Flea Markets. Very fun! Platinum Sterling Silver pen in large size, Pilot Super 200, and a Senator Student piston filler. Maybe I'll share more about those in the future. Meanwhile, stay tuned on https://www.instagram.com/inquisitivequill/ if you want more updates!

7GQTXD5.jpg

Inquisitive Quill on Instagram and YouTube 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• koofle

• Mew

• de_pen_dent

• philhygra

Forgot to add: Lamy thinking tools exhibit, mostly showcasing the design and thought process.

UrYkS4T.jpg

wHPpp1h.jpg

Got some postcards and a pen, the Lamy Noto.

1olumgF.jpg

And an obligatory Itoya shot.

aSHqFmf.jpg

Thanks for the update. I really appreciate you taking the time to "bring us along". It's always nice to see what are the new amazing places you have discovered.

BTW PLEASE continue with your videos. I really appreciate the unique point of view you have, and really cannot wait for a review of the Hakase.

That buffalo horn pen is gorgeous! Is the section also horn?

I also have one so I hope that qualifies me to answer: no, the section is made from ebonite.

Wow. Thanks so much for sharing!

Thanks for reading!

That buffalo horn pen is gorgeous! Is the section also horn?

As Mew already replied, no. The section is ebonite.

Thanks for the update. I really appreciate you taking the time to "bring us along". It's always nice to see what are the new amazing places you have discovered.

BTW PLEASE continue with your videos. I really appreciate the unique point of view you have, and really cannot wait for a review of the Hakase.

We are! It's just that real life has intervened and it's a lot harder for us to record these days... We have several episodes in the pipeline though, so it's not like we aren't making content! Editing just takes longer now.

Gasp! You never fail to amaze, Leo. Everything is beautiful. Everything.

Thank you! It was a very fun trip!

Your buffalo horn Hakase is my preferred model, since we can't bring tortoise shell into the US.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

A fantastic journey of places, pens, and the presentation of writing implements as a part of Japanese culture!

Your buffalo horn Hakase is my preferred model, since we can't bring tortoise shell into the US.

If you can hand carry, it should be possible. I know a few people who carried theirs back to their home country.

Thank you for sharing.

I think it is still illegal to carry a tortoise shell pen in to the US, it is just the likelihood of getting caught is probably quite slim.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Thank you so much for sharing! I can't wait until I'm able to travel to Japan!

<i>Many boys will bring you flowers. But someday you'll meet a boy who will learn your favourite flower, your favourite song, your favourite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart-Leigh Bardugo

. Please assume no affiliation, as I'm just a pleased customer. IG: Lenses and pens_

Thank you for sharing.

I think it is still illegal to carry a tortoise shell pen in to the US, it is just the likelihood of getting caught is probably quite slim.

Ah, okay. From what I read, that's the case almost everywhere. It's banned in 90% of the countries. Most people can't tell it apart from acrylic or Celluloid, so highly unlikely anyone would get caught.

I agree the likelihood of getting caught is slight, but dealing with things made of endangered animals is prohibited in order to protect these creatures. Many other less harmful sources for bones and horns exist. The great pen shown here is a magnificent example of this.