Any other "Laureat" lovers out there?

J English Smith

Wow! great community here.

I just made an impulse buy on ebay for am advertised "1988 Waterman" and I was searching for what kind of model this was. Now I found it: it's a laureat.

Here's a pic from the auction:

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/2954/wlaureatke1.jpg

I paid only 6€, I hope it will be in good condition, I'll let you know when arrives.

I read Waterman does not take international cartridges? Too bad, I don't want different unused ink cartrdges in my desk drawers...

Additionally I've seen the ebay seller levertowsky has spare nibs in different sizes. If I like the pen I'll take a B (better an OBB), even though it cost far more then the pen itself!

Cheers everybody!

Congradulations on your new Lauréat! A word of caution before treating yourself to a B nib, however: if your pen dates from 1988, it's probably a Lauréat I, which means that the nib section is without the decorative gold ring (as this is on the pen body). The Lauréat nibs sold today have the gold ring right on the nib section. They obviously fit the pen, but it just doesn't look right... I realized this after buying a replacement nib for my own Lauréat back in 1994. Recently, when I saw that Levertowsky had Lauréat nibs, I was so excited... until I emailed him, just to check, and he confirmed that these were Lauréat II nibs. Sigh... This is somewhat ironic since I have a B nib for the Lauréat I in our locker in Montreal. I have a rather small handwritting and just never got used to it. If you do have a Lauréat I and are willing to wait a few months, we could swap!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• georges zaslavsky

• J English Smith

• Left FPN

Congradulations on your new Lauréat! A word of caution before treating yourself to a B nib, however: if your pen dates from 1988, it's probably a Lauréat I, which means that the nib section is without the decorative gold ring (as this is on the pen body). The Lauréat nibs sold today have the gold ring right on the nib section. They obviously fit the pen, but it just doesn't look right... I realized this after buying a replacement nib for my own Lauréat back in 1994. Recently, when I saw that Levertowsky had Lauréat nibs, I was so excited... until I emailed him, just to check, and he confirmed that these were Lauréat II nibs. Sigh... This is somewhat ironic since I have a B nib for the Lauréat I in our locker in Montreal. I have a rather small handwritting and just never got used to it. If you do have a Lauréat I and are willing to wait a few months, we could swap!

Ouch! Thank you very much for your warning! I didn't know that.

The pen arrived last week. I've put some Reynolds turquoise in it and now it is wiht me @the office. It's a beautiful writer. It is a Fine, but it's the wider fine I ever saw, comparable to a Lamy or Aurora medium and a Sailor medium is much more thin. So it's ok (I can't imagine how wide could be that B!).

The only bad thing about the pen is that the nib has a lot of stained ink on it. I tried various trick, left the section in water for a day, but with no major changes... it's a pity because I love this kind of extra continental nib swaps!

You may have an idea of the nib from the following pic, even though now the situation improved a little bit:

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/4158/05a73ki9.jpg

So how would look the Laureat II section over a Laureat I body, just with a double gold ring at the cap intersection? That should be good for me...

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

• 2 weeks later...

I got a Laureat in the late 1980s as a 21st present and it revived my interest in fountain pens big time.

I have several of the newer models and colours but for every exam I have ever done (and i have done quite a few not because I failed them but I keep going back to get more qualifications... :headsmack: ) my original Laureat is taken out and off I go !!!

It has to be one of my all time favourites and I keep going back to it - I think I'll go and see where I have put one of the newer ones and give it a go !

Take care

H

Edited by HMA Kieran

What is the difference between a Laureat and a Hemisphere?

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

So how would look the Laureat II section over a Laureat I body, just with a double gold ring at the cap intersection? That should be good for me...

Well, here's a Laureat II rollerball (top) with a Laureat I FP (bottom).

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/9302/dsc00020ne1.th.jpg

Note the gold rings on the section and the end cap for Laureat II while they're on the barrel on Laureat I.

And here's the Laureat II rollerball section on the Laureat I body.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8986/dsc00023av8.th.jpg

Well, here's a Laureat II rollerball (top) with a Laureat I FP (bottom).

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/9302/dsc00020ne1.th.jpg

Note the gold rings on the section and the end cap for Laureat II while they're on the barrel on Laureat I.

And here's the Laureat II rollerball section on the Laureat I body.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8986/dsc00023av8.th.jpg

Thank you!! great pics.

Yes, it is evident the "double ring", but only at a well trained eye.

And the pen is good, I'm still using it (I loaded with some turquoise I'm not using often, then it's still there...). So I think in the near future I could offer myself a new section from lewertowsky.

Thanks again for posting the pics,

Cheers,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

• 3 weeks later...

Sanford Canada (aka Waterman Parker Service Centre) has Extra Fine and Broad Laureat Series 1 nib sections available. I just ordered an Extra Fine one today, and they said it would ship today. CAD $30 + GST. I made the enquiry via the Waterman web page on the weekend, got the email first thing this morning saying that only EF and B were available. Emailed back with my work number, and they called to take payment and get shipping details 3 hours later.

I will confirm if it is (or not) the Laureat Series 1 nib section here as soon as it arrives.

So, the nib arrived today! And it is indeed a Series 1 nib ... but despite the fact that the nib tube has an Extra Fine label, the nib is definitely broad :(

I have sent an email back to Sanford Canada Service to inform them and ask how these can be exchanged; I will update this if I get an EF nib.

Sanford Canada Service emailed back, with apologies. They are sending out the proper nib, and a prepaid envelope to return the incorrect one.

Proper EF nib arrived today. It writes nice, albeit a little scratchy. Good flow, and a nice crisp line on better paper.

Interesting. My old Laureat was a TERRIBLE writer. Maybe I didn't know what I was doing?

Anyway, I note that Vacumaniac has a tortoise-shell Laureat for sale now. Pen number 1825 on http://www.(bleep).com/websitesales/newpens.htm . I'm not tempted, given that I suspect I have exactly that pen lying about in some drawer somewhere. Very skinny body. Converter-cartridge filler.

I picked that one up and it writes very well indeed. It also had a cracked feed that has been fixed once and is now on it's way back to be fixed again. The laureat has been cool but this particular pen has been a bit of a trial.

Philip

www.scriptusinc.com

• 1 year later...

Sanford Canada (aka Waterman Parker Service Centre) has Extra Fine and Broad Laureat Series 1 nib sections available. I just ordered an Extra Fine one today, and they said it would ship today. CAD $30 + GST. I made the enquiry via the Waterman web page on the weekend, got the email first thing this morning saying that only EF and B were available. Emailed back with my work number, and they called to take payment and get shipping details 3 hours later.

I will confirm if it is (or not) the Laureat Series 1 nib section here as soon as it arrives.

I hope you get this post. I have 5 Waterman Laureats -- 4 Type 1; 1 Type 2. I'd kill :) -- well almost -- to get a couple M and B nibs for my Type 1's which are all F... My Type 2 is a Medium. BTW has anyone heard of a Laureat (Type 1) that was NOT marbleized?!? I have one. It was used and I picked up on E-bay, it was not even listed as a Laureat, but when I viewed the picture I knew what it was and snatched it up for a song. The gold on the nib is almost all gone, and I'm having it reworked even as I write, but would love to pick up an extra nib for it either in M or even B. Waterman's in the U.S. (Janesville, WI) wants me to send the whole bloody pen in just to buy a spare nib :(. Does Sanford Canada, still carry nibs for the Waterman Laureat Type 1 -- even the Type 2 if I could get it as a B would be nice?

I have two Laureats...one Mineral Blue with a fine nib and one marbled red with a medium nib. I love these pens and are my favorite pens to use. I think their looks are beautiful and the size is perfect for my hand. The nibs are extremely smooth. I was about to buy a third Laureat on Ebay but was smitten with a Le Man 200 Rhapsody. I hope it writes as well as my Laureats.

Gene

• 6 months later...

i have just bought one and i am very pleased with it

heres the photos of what mine looks like.

it writes well,its quite slim and fits in the pen holder of my camera bag.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q36/johnnyrep/P1030009-1.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q36/johnnyrep/P1030011-1.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q36/johnnyrep/P1030011-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My Laureats, one gray marble and the other black-gray with red stripes, were my first Waterman fountain pens. They were the perfect price for a poor graduate student who enjoyed fountain pens. : )

• 1 month later...

I have two Laureats that I love. I got the first in 1992 as a college graduation gift, a green marbled one, med nib. It was my first FP, and still writes well to this day. I liked it so much that the person who got me the first one got me a second one as a gift from graduate school in 1996, a blue marbled one, med nib. I use different colored ink in each. I love the balance and the heft of it. I am still amazed how affordable they were now that I spend hundreds for a FP these days.

Regards, Stephen

• 1 year later...

Hello All,

Great community here. I think this is my first post. I have a Laureat in gunmetal and I've lost one of the gold rings. Anyone know how I might find a replacement? Thanks for any help.

I msut have over 14 laureats and they are all great pens

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Love love love Laureats! I have a blue marble Laureat wtih a medium nib. It was my first "real" fountain pen and it has spoiled me rotten. The nib is so broad and wet that all other finer nibs feel scratchy to me. (I'm getting over that though.)

I recently won a green one with a fine nib off the Bay. I keep my eyes peeled for another pretty at the right price. I have a soft spot for Laureats.

Esterbrook J (3), Hero 395 (2), Hero 616, Clipper Piston Filler (4), Lamy Safari (10), Markant 130, Ahab, Parker Parkette (3), Parker Vacumatic, Pilot 78G (2), Pilot Plumix (2), Platinum Preppy, Salz Bros Black and White, Waterman Ideal, Waterman Laureat (5), Waterman Kultur

Hmmm, I seem to remember seeing a Laureate for sale in one of my regular antique malls. After reading this thread, I will have to go and take a look and see if the dealer will part with it for a reasonable cost. If I do find one, this will be my first French Waterman. Thanks for the justification you bunch of enablers. :thumbup: