• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Charles Rice

• Doug1426

• AL01

And who said ya couldn't find good deals on e-Bay??

OK, maybe not a good deal if you're from St. Paul. :)

Edited by Charles Rice

Oi Vey, just when I thought I'd seen it all. Note, however, the seller gave themselves the right to cancel if they suspect the buyer plans to ship it out of country after receiving it. I guess Sharpies are in high demand in some countries. Maybe it's tariff-related.

And there is some strange negative feedback for that seller.

Nevertheless, thanks LanceSaintPaul for a day-brightener. As you said, you can't make this stuff up.

"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

Welcome to the world of money laundering. It’s happening on Amazon as well when paperback books are listed and sold for prices in the hundreds. So long as the buyer has no complaints, the transactions go unremarked in the system.

This came to light on Amazon after an indie author’s buy button was auctioned off to a criminal who used the author’s as yet UNPUBLISHED book for similar transactions.

Welcome to the world of money laundering. It’s happening on Amazon as well when paperback books are listed and sold for prices in the hundreds. So long as the buyer has no complaints, the transactions go unremarked in the system.

This came to light on Amazon after an indie author’s buy button was auctioned off to a criminal who used the author’s as yet UNPUBLISHED book for similar transactions.

Makes sense now. Put something up for sale at a price no-one in their right mind would buy and do a little hanky-panky with the transaction?

Does it have a black gold tip?

Is it made in the USA?

Oh.

It is?

Does it have a precious plastic clip?

Dude.

This pen is like the American version of the Platinum Preppy.

OF COURSE IT WOULD BE WORTH THAT MUCH!!!

DUH.

You see this!

The conspiracy of ours is working.

Sharpies are worth 81$....

Just imagine the price of a Pilot Metropolitan...

At least 15X as much!

Does it have a black gold tip?

Is it made in the USA?

Oh.

It is?

Does it have a precious plastic clip?

Dude.

This pen is like the American version of the Platinum Preppy.

OF COURSE IT WOULD BE WORTH THAT MUCH!!!

DUH.

You see this!

The conspiracy of ours is working.

Sharpies are worth 81$....

Just imagine the price of a Pilot Metropolitan...

At least 15X as much!

Ahhh, I get it...it's a profit deal ( with apologies to Steve Martin in The Jerk).

"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

I don't know if I want to laugh and point or give the seller brownie points for entrepreneurial spirit. Especially after last week, when some schmuck was trying to sell a Papermate fountain pen from 1970 by claiming it was connected to the 3rd Reich (!) and Hitler's "personal chef Wolf Gang [sic] Puck". THAT listing got itself booted off for violating a policy against selling "Nazi memorabilia" (even though it clearly wasn't since um, it was from 1970), and also for misrepresenting what it was (aka fraud, which is what I reported it for; you're welcome, BTW).

Wonder if he's related to the guy from about 5-6 years ago who was trying to sell a rare "Bock" pen for something like 85K, with an additional 15K for s/h. Conjectures on the (repeated) threads about that listing ranged from "money laundering" to "single-handedly attempting to solve the Greek national debt crisis".

Oh, I just double checked this new listing and the seller's location. Another data point to send to my friend for her research into "Florida Man", I see.... [Apologies in advance to anyone reading this thread who is a resident of that fine state -- clearly no one on FPN would in *any* way, shape or form resemble "Florida Man"....}

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

May have to grab one of these Mont Blanks, only 10 more available. Hats off to the seller's Dada spirit.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

"May not ship to the United Kingdom" Well thank goodness for that. :D

But "Free Pickup in North Korea"!

:lticaptd:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I thought it might be priced in Mexican pesos, but upon doing the arithmetic it's still a tad out of line. :wacko:

I may not have been much help, but I DID bump your thread up to the top.

I know a lot of the silly prices for used books on amazon come from automated bots that use algorithms to determine prices. If an algorithm claims a sharpie is worth $80 the algorithm needs some tuning. Unless maybe this was the Sharpie used by President Trump to sign some important bill.

But "Free Pickup in North Korea"!

Ruth, I contacted the seller and he admits to an error. What he meant to write was, "Free IF you pick it up in North Korea". And it would help him out a lot if you bring along a carton of Lucky Strikes - for the guards.

Ruth, I contacted the seller and he admits to an error. What he meant to write was, "Free IF you pick it up in North Korea". And it would help him out a lot if you bring along a carton of Lucky Strikes - for the guards.

I guess I shouldn't include a bottle of Noodler's Park Red.... B)

Well, I must say that this has been an entertaining thread to say the least. Much more entertaining than the ads on FPN, which appear to have resurfaced with a vengeance this evening.... :angry: I've reported at least three "repeat" ads to Ad Choices (complete with copy links, MULTIPLE screen shots (including ones of the page where it says I'll no longer be seeing them -- yeah, and I've some primo resort property in Florida for sale, too) -- and promises (not threats, mind -- PROMISES!) to report them to the California Attorney General's Consumer Affairs people.... (as well as contacting one of the advertisers, with a no longer accessible but still probably open email address, to tell them I will NEVER buy any of their clothing...).

I thought it might be priced in Mexican pesos, but upon doing the arithmetic it's still a tad out of line. :wacko:

One time I was in a flea market and my father saw an acordian that interested him...

I asked the sir about its price and he said: '300'.

I asked: 'pesos?'

He didn't really like me after dat.

:D

OH, SO THAT'S THE ONLY ERROR HE MADE????

I remember when we were buying our car from a dealership. They said we couldn't pay more than £10,000 in cash because of money laundering rules, and asked us how we were going to pay. I said we had been going to bring cash in a suitcase but we would pay by card instead. :D