Nakaya Naka-Ai, Ama-Iro

mk2579

Whilst browsing for my Nakaya Dorsal Fin Version 1 earlier this year at nibs.com, I happened to spot a Naka-ai in Ama-iro finish, which also happened to be “in stock”.

*Incidentally, I love the new "in stock" page at nibs.com, and the ability to check out there and then. After all, I am not the type who is able to put in an order with Hakase, and then patiently wait 16 months for my creation to be painstakingly built from scratch. Though I fear it wont be long before I pull the trigger on one of those beauties....I think I could just about stretch my pennies to a Jade, though the one I'm REALLY after is the Water Buffalo with solid gold hammered belly roll-stopper and teardrop clip...

Anyway back to Nakaya.

I have always thought the sky blue of the Nakaya Ama-iro looks so cheerful and optimistic. The Ama-iro was offered in the Naka-ai shape. I had not seen the Naka-ai in person before, but had read it was quite a substantial size, with a comfortable section and an attractive tapered shape. I quickly decided I would go for a Double Broad Stub nib and with Rhodium-plate this time. With hindsight, I would have had the nibs the other way around- the BB nib in the Dorsal Fin 1 and the Broad CI/Stub hybrid nib in the Naka-ai.

Here is the Naka-Ai with its fellow Nakaya's. Left to Right: Naka-ai Ama-iro, Dorsal Fin 1 Ao-tamenuri, Portable "Thick" Ao-tamenuri...

L1330096.jpg

Here is the Naka-ai with some of its urushi brethren from Danitrio...I wish I had lined up the pens from the bottom to give an accurate indication of height, oh well...

L1330130.jpg

View from the rear…

l1330138.jpg

Is it me or does the Naka-ai nib look ruthinium instead of rhodium? I’m sure I asked for rhodium, and it says Rhodium on the box- see here…

img_3613.jpg

However, I see they described my Dorsal Fin 1 as the Version 2. I can’t tell if the nib is rhodium or not as I do not have another nib in this finish. Either way I think it looks good. Here is a close up of the nib…

IMG_3620.jpg

Yup, looks ruthinium to me.

Verdict:

I really like the shape of the Naka-ai. The tapering is very attractive and it is also a very good length- same as the Dorsal Fin 1 but shorter than my 17mm Portable. The section as you can see from the pictures, is shorter and narrower, but I find it very comfortable to use. The Nakaya nib also looks more in proportion on the Naka-ai because of this. Some people have said the nib on the 17mm looks too tiny in proportion to the section and barrel. I don’t agree, but definitely the Naka-ai looks more harmonious.

The colour of the Ama-iro is exactly as I would like it. It’s not really a bright sky blue like some I have seen, but more of a natural colour, quite sober, austere and to my liking. Not an in your face blue. I have read somewhere that Nakaya take their urushi colours from nature, and if you want a custom colour, you have to pick one from their massive list of “colours of nature” pdf. I like this idea. Quite in keeping with the Nakaya brand.

The nib? Oh. My. Days. I asked for a Double Broad Stub with a “heavy” ink flow. It does not disappoint. The smoothness of this stub is like no other stub nib I owned. I currently have it filled Ishida Bungu, Hakodate Twilight, which only accentuates the smoothness even further.

Here is a blurry writing sample...

IMG_3587.jpg

Needless to say I am happy with it.

I am very pleased with the Nakaya's I purchased this year. My pen budget is now well and truly spent. Next year? Who knows, Blue Dragon…

Edited by kunju123

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mk2579

• empliau

• nekomuffchu

Kunju123, we are siblings under the skin - I too have a love for ao-tamenuri that is difficult to sate since Nakaya stopped making it. I have a double broad stub in yellow gold on my ao desk pen and a CI ruthenium on my ao 17mm portable. And my dream pen is the ao Dorsal Fin 2. I check CFP's Nakaya page constantly, and pondered the Version 1, but can't stop dreaming of the 2, and can't justify both ...

At the LA show I saw the version 2 in kuro-tamenuri and it may serve, on that far-off day when I have the funds. I love ao, but maybe not *everything* has to be that one beautiful finish.

Congrats on a beautiful pen!

ETA: If I don't get the Dorsal Fin 2, my other grail is a Naka-ai Blue Dragon!

Edited by empliau

Oh absolutely Blue Dragon all the way!

I know what u mean though re: not everything has to be Ao, I am an Ao purist at heart, but know also things may get a bit sombre if I stick only to this finish (whenever it appears)...thats why I chose the Ama-iro (reviewed here) to lighten things up a bit.

One day I may go crazy and order a Negoro in Heki or something!

Having said that, the Midori-tamenuri is a good substitute for the Ao finish- I saw someone on instagram posted a pic of the Dorsal Fin 2 in Midori-tame...looks very sharp, like Batmans pen or something.

...speaking of Blue Dragon, how awesome would a Blue Dragon in 17mm be?!!

But Midori-tamenuri is even more gone than Ao! I did see a Naka-ai in Midori-tamenuri at the LA show, but I think (could, of course, be wrong) that they were making them for a shorter time and so there are fewer floating around. Also, frankly, to my eye Ao is everything. That kuro-tamenuri Dorsal Fin 2 was sweet, though. Sadly, they didn't bring a Blue Dragon to the show, at least not on Friday, so I still haven't seen one in real life.

Congrats on the beautiful Naka-ai! The nib looks like it is rhodium. You should be able to tell just how it feels when you're writing, the rhodium will be nice and smooth, while ruthenium will sing while you write :P

If you do get the chance, do try the Piccolo Long from Pens in Asia. I ordered one from Tay in Kuro-Tamenuri and it's just a beauty with a stub ground by Nakaya. It's smooth as butter.

Edited by nekomuffchu

Midori-tamenuri even more gone than Ao!- why do all the finishes I like dissappear...

I too was eyeing the Kuro Dorsal Fin 2- it has a kind of sleek yet mystical look to it...

But I cant get away from blues, teals greens when it comes to Nakaya. I also considered getting a custom 17mm Wakakusa-iro from Nakaya, a fresh bamboo green this time...but ultimately I think Ill save my pennies for that Ao Seriyu Blue Dragon...

Nekomuffchu

Thanks for letting me know my nib is Rhodium not Ruthinium :-) My eyesights not so good these days...will have to check if it sings or not!

Speaking of Piccolo long I was looking at a Wakakusa-iro from Aesthetic Bay but I think it sold out. I like the shape of the little Piccolo but I find it too small. Thanks for tip on Pens in Asia- will check them out. Watch out kunju123s wallet!

Nekomuffchu

Thanks for letting me know my nib is Rhodium not Ruthinium :-) My eyesights not so good these days...will have to check if it sings or not!

Speaking of Piccolo long I was looking at a Wakakusa-iro from Aesthetic Bay but I think it sold out. I like the shape of the little Piccolo but I find it too small. Thanks for tip on Pens in Asia- will check them out. Watch out kunju123s wallet!

The Piccolo Long just feels so right. I'd speak with Tay @ Pens in Asia first, even though they're affiliated his prices seem to be much better. He ordered it directly and it took around 2 months.

Edited by nekomuffchu