Conway Stewart Duro Point 8M

chunya

Hi,

Not a pen but a humble pencil, but one that might be interesting to share. This was found by a friend in a box in a drawer; but they can't recall when or where they got the box.

What was interesting was when I searched for it in Jonathan Donahaye's (RIP) online book of CS numbers, using his own category he categorised it as being the rarest and could provide no info other than that it was perhaps produced up until 1931.

It is, I think, vulcanite (but could be wrong) and in lovely condition, especially the gold highlighted imprint.

I searched for G&E Sayer, Eastbourne, curious as to what type of business it was, but Google came up with nothing .

fpn_1521038610__dsc08241_1.jpg

fpn_1521038654__dsc08242_1.jpg

Edited by chunya

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• northlodge

• chunya

• CS58

• eachan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Certainly interesting and like many early CS pencils, very elegant. The condition is outstanding. Sorry I can't be more helpful. I wish I had the time to really get into pencils.

Regards,

Eachan

• 3 months later...

Chunya wrote: What was interesting was when I searched for it in Jonathan Donahaye's (RIP) online book of CS numbers, using his own category he categorised it as being the rarest and could provide no info other than that it was perhaps produced up until 1931. It is, I think, vulcanite (but could be wrong) and in lovely condition, especially the gold highlighted imprint.

Thanks indeed for that valuable info! Have just been searching Jonathon’s site for my Conway Stewart Duro Point 8M pencil. It is quite minty and I purchased it at a local auction house this week :-) for about $45 Australian. It is similar to yours, with the exceptions of a nickel plated ball clip and tip & no ?seller imprint to the barrel… It came in a classic CS box. Here’s some basic images—hope quality is OK as have zero experience on this site with image embedding...:

post-62252-0-08990000-1530172391_thumb.jpeg

post-62252-0-78648500-1530172720_thumb.jpeg

post-62252-0-06589900-1530172791_thumb.jpeg

post-62252-0-36382700-1530172822_thumb.jpeg

post-62252-0-19802900-1530172854_thumb.jpeg

A nice pencil! although I am not certain the gold lettering is original)

I would not always place a great deal of store by the rarity score from JD, these were formulated a good number of years ago and there has been a great deal of additional information on CS products since then.

The 'bible' (FPFTM by Stephen Hull) shows this 8M was manufactured in 1926 and retailed at a cost of 3/6

A nice pencil! although I am not certain the gold lettering is original)

I would not always place a great deal of store by the rarity score from JD, these were formulated a good number of years ago and there has been a great deal of additional information on CS products since then.

The 'bible' (FPFTM by Stephen Hull) shows this 8M was manufactured in 1926 and retailed at a cost of 3/6

Three shillings and sixpence = 42p!

Add lightness and simplicate.

Three shillings and sixpence = 42p!

1 shilling = 5 new pence

12 pence in 1 shilling, so "6 pence" = 2.5 new pence/

It was all so easy back then (1 mars bar = threepence, my pocket money = sixpence)

That pencil would have required I save my pocket money for only 7 weeks ;-)

Edited by northlodge

I do not collect CS pencils but looking through my parts box I found two examples;

1. an Duro-Point 8M, boxed and papers, which does not have the gold lettering, but is otherwise excellent.

2. A Conway No 2 , quite a stunning looking pencil which really deserves to be sitting next to a matching pen.

42207797235_4a17d55b57_b.jpg

42207797085_2a37109b7e_b.jpg

That #2 is a lovely looking pencil, and it would be nice to pair it up again, but the pens don't seem to crop up that often. I recently went after an early 286M it was in a job lot with a couple of 1960s Swans, a couple of common Dinkies and if I recall correctly a Kingswood plus a pen with no name, all in reasonable condition, and certainly all showing wear.... I don't remember exactly but the hammer price was over £350 + commission!