The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

Sheaffer Novice Asks For Id Help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:13

I wonder if anyone could help me. I am a total novice when it comes to Sheaffer's range.

I have bought a pen for my wife as a wedding anniversary present, and would like to know what I have bought.

I know she likes inlaid nibs and has a Valor, several Targa's and a few Legacy pens and an Intrigue. So I thought I'd get her something slightly different even though it is similar. Neither I nor the vendor know what it is. It was suggested it's an Imperial Touchdown IV, but it's a total guess.

Could someone either tell me what it is, or point me to a site like 'www.parkercollector.com' for Scheaffer pens.

Here are links to the sale photos:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l500.jpg

The pen has a slightly discoloured 14K gold nib. The body is soft-ish grey plastic, probably polystyrene, the barrel finial is square at the end and unscrews to release the air pressure filler. There is a little bit of a hiss when it's pumped (I assume a bit of silicone grease will prolong the life of the seal, but understand it may need to be dealt with). The barrel unscrews to reveal a totally shrouded sac, with 3 breather holes in the shroud, one on the end and two opposite each other on the end. The sac seems to be natural rubber in adequate condition. The barrel diameter is 11mm, 120mm long uncapped, 137.5mm long capped and 147mm long when posted.

My thanks in advance.

Regards,

Richard.

Sponsored Content

#2 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 13,746 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:09

I think it's a Sheaffer Imperial Touchdown.  :)

I could try pointing to a page but Safari isn't playing with Google at the moment. It's "failing to open the page" and has been doing so since 7am.  :angry:

I tried again. This Sheaffer models page might help

flying-letter-exc.png

#3 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• 10,494 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:22

Thanks Chrissy.

Looking at it, then, the model is an 'Imperial IV Touchdown'. I looked up SheafferTarga.com and was amazed, not only Targa's but Imperials too. Using those 2 sites leads to the model number too, the 1350TD. I presume then it's post 1960 & pre 1968.

Writes nicely too.

Regards,

Richard.

#4 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 13,746 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:47

I've never seen or handled one, so not sure exactly how they work. My closest version is a Legacy version 1 and that makes a hissing noise when it's filled. Shows it's working I guess.  :)

flying-letter-exc.png

#5 pen lady

pen lady

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:26

As it's a gift, I'd consider having the Touchdown mechanism serviced, unless the seller says it's been done recently.  The nib will polish up nicely if you use a jewellery cleaning cloth (Sunshine, Blitz) available from a jewellers or a musical instrument store. Happy Anniversary to you both.

#6 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• 10,494 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2018 - 13:01

Unfortunately the anniversary is this Friday, so no time to send it away. The pen does fill.

After looking at Richard Binder's site, I may look at putting silicone grease on the O ring, but as I don't have any imperial 'O' rings, I won't try replacing it.

Regards,

Richard.

#7 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,316 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2018 - 14:01

Looks exactly like my Imperial IV Touchdown. Mine is black too. I also have the C/C version of the Imperial IV.
Khan

Sponsored Content

|