Nos Osmiroid/esterbrook Steel Sketch Nib

MercianScribe

I love Osmiroid! To those that don't know it, it was a longstanding cheap English calligraphy brand, whose niche was easily changeable nibs. They also did a number of very good everyday writing nibs, and a couple of specialities and oddities, like Music nibs (they had a couple of different ones - their three tined one is one of my favourite writers), Copperplate nibs (good but sharp!), and Sketch nibs (of which this is one variety they brought out).

Please note, this is not a pen, only the nib. To be honest, I probably have a couple of the pens I don't need but I haven't got time to sort them out! I suppose if you're really desperate (or have a really good cause) you could mail me a plea and I'll see what I can do...

Osmiroid pens can be obtained easily and cheaply from eBay, and these are the old style screw-in nibs that also fit Esterbrooks and various other brands too, so you should be able to pick something up which you can use it with without too much difficulty.

There are a couple of pics here, and I'll try to get one of a sketch up at some point to show you its performance, but I'm not a big sketcher!

This is the hard steel version with an overfeed. It keeps up really quickly (but these are NOS, and need washing before you use them) with the line, has a very little line variation and is ever so slightly italic. Osmiroid did produce another three steel sketch nibs I'm aware of (and several gold plated ones). One of them was basically like a little knife and was too sharp to draw with IMO! This looks identical, but isn't the same.

I have two to give away. One will be randomised, and one will be based on who writes me the most funny, deserving, or noble post on here (or mail if you want to keep it private)... It would probably make my life easier if you only reply once on this thread (I don't know how to use randomising sites yet!).

I'll choose the winners on the 21st of March, 11pm JST.

If the winner wants to PayPal me $5 for worldwide shipping, that would be appreciated, but by no means is it required.

post-132145-0-19123900-1521010756_thumb.jpg

post-132145-0-43772400-1521010778_thumb.jpg

Hi, I'm Mat

:)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MercianScribe

• Lamyrada

• Inky.Fingers

• ErrantSmudge

Not an entry, just wanted to say that I looooove Osmiroid pens! I borrowed a friend's once and it gave such great feedback, and it handled great! I'm not much into sketching with ink, as I'm very fond of my pencils and charcoal. But I hope it goes to someone that'll use and appreciate it! Best of luck to y'all! <3

I am the tarot reading, bookworm, whiskey drinking, witchcraft practicing, old fashioned writing, aunt Beasty in my family and I love it. Tarot readings for sale or trade, especially ink as I've lost all of my pen stuff from a bad burglary last year. And I need penpals! Anyone interested, please PM me!

Not an entry, just wanted to say that I looooove Osmiroid pens! I borrowed a friend's once and it gave such great feedback, and it handled great! I'm not much into sketching with ink, as I'm very fond of my pencils and charcoal. But I hope it goes to someone that'll use and appreciate it! Best of luck to y'all! <3

Yeah, they're great aren't they!

Are you sure you don't want to enter... nobody else seems interested! :D

Hi, I'm Mat

Due to a seeming lack of interest (perhaps I should have mentioned, while these are generally $20-30 on the bay, I've seen them fetch $80... not that I would pay so much for one...!), I'm extending this PIF till March 25th, 11:00 pm JST.

And remember - it's a nib, not the whole pen.

Hi, I'm Mat

Note: It is the J series Esties that take Osmiroid nibs made for Osmiroid 65 and 75 models. I don't believe other Esterbrook pens work with Osmiroid nibs.

I have a couple Osmiroid "Sketch" nibs. Mine are gold plated. They are very nice - a bit flexible, actually. Now, if I could only sketch worth a darn!

David

Okay, I'm in. Please consider me for this PIF.

I didn't know Osmiroid nibs existed until about a year ago. At the 2017 Los Angeles Pen Show, I came across an unusual Esterbrook J pen with an italic nib at a dealer table and bought it. I didn't know it was outfitted with an Osmiroid nib until I posted a description of the pen here on FPN.

The Osmiroid italic nib puts down a very crisp line, much crisper than the other stub and italic nibs I have on hand (Lamy, Pilot and Sheaffer). It would be fun to have another unusual nib I could use in this Esterbrook. I am taking courses in fashion design, so it would be fun to try to use this nib for fashion illustration work.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

I’d love to be considered for this PIF. I do some sketching with a fountain pen but I currently use a standard EF nib. With the prospect of spring arriving sometime soon (although there’s quite a lot of snow about here in the U.K. today!) I hope to be able to get out & about to try some (sub)urban sketching & drawing. So this nib would be perfect, combined with my red Estie J & my little travel watercolour kit.

If I were lucky enough to win this nib I’d be pleased to pay the shipping costs to the U.K. Thank you so much for your generosity in offering this PIF.

ps you are very lucky to be in Japan at sakura time :-)

Verba volant, scripta manent

Note: It is the J series Esties that take Osmiroid nibs made for Osmiroid 65 and 75 models. I don't believe other Esterbrook pens work with Osmiroid nibs.

I have a couple Osmiroid "Sketch" nibs. Mine are gold plated. They are very nice - a bit flexible, actually. Now, if I could only sketch worth a darn!

David

Good point! Esterbrook J series only I think! Thanks for pointing that out.

David, are you joining the PIF?

They did GP ones with and without the overfeed, and a steel one with a more conventional shape and a specialized feed/section for their Indian ink pens, and a steel one without an overfeed, which is rigid and basically like a little knife blade!

This one has a wee degree of flexibility... just enough to see a very little line variation when you're doing some fast, vigorous downstroke. Ditto its italic properties... easier to see when your picture is taking shape.

Edited by MercianScribe

Hi, I'm Mat

Okay, I'm in. Please consider me for this PIF.

I didn't know Osmiroid nibs existed until about a year ago. At the 2017 Los Angeles Pen Show, I came across an unusual Esterbrook J pen with an italic nib at a dealer table and bought it. I didn't know it was outfitted with an Osmiroid nib until I posted a description of the pen here on FPN.

The Osmiroid italic nib puts down a very crisp line, much crisper than the other stub and italic nibs I have on hand (Lamy, Pilot and Sheaffer). It would be fun to have another unusual nib I could use in this Esterbrook. I am taking courses in fashion design, so it would be fun to try to use this nib for fashion illustration work.

Yep, I think their italic nibs are some of the best you'll find.

Hi, I'm Mat

ps you are very lucky to be in Japan at sakura time :-)

It's the umé (Japanese plum) season now, which was the traditional hanami (flower-viewing) season hundreds of years ago before sakura became more popular. To be honest, I prefer the ume in a lot of ways: it's more delicate, understated, a little wilder seeming, and a lot easier on the bloody hayfever! Although, the sakura wins out again as it's turning and the petals are snowing down... A couple of times in the last twenty years we've had snow on the sakura, which is also really something!

Hi, I'm Mat

It's the umé (Japanese plum) season now, which was the traditional hanami (flower-viewing) season hundreds of years ago before sakura became more popular. To be honest, I prefer the ume in a lot of ways: it's more delicate, understated, a little wilder seeming, and a lot easier on the bloody hayfever! Although, the sakura wins out again as it's turning and the petals are snowing down... A couple of times in the last twenty years we've had snow on the sakura, which is also really something!

How wonderful! One day............. [sigh] :-)

Not sure this will play outside the U.K.: hopefully it might. I saw this video on the BBC website yesterday. Blossom time in south-west China.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-china-43443968/blossom-in-south-west-china-captured-by-drone

Verba volant, scripta manent

Due to a seeming lack of interest (perhaps I should have mentioned, while these are generally $20-30 on the bay, I've seen them fetch $80... not that I would pay so much for one...!), I'm extending this PIF till March 25th, 11:00 pm JST.

PLEASE, I DON'T THINK there is a LACK of INTEREST.

Please read the multi paragraph entry I did through DM. I have an Esterbrook J ready to go and it old me that she would gladly enjoy this nib, wholeheartedly and with open arms... She is in love.

Edited by Lamyrada

PLEASE, I DON'T THINK there is a LA INTEREST.

Did i place the reply in the right place? I don't know!!!

Please read the multi paragraph entry I did through DM. I have an Esterbrook J ready to go and it old me that she would gladly enjoy this nib, wholeheartedly and with open arms... She is in love.

Edited by Lamyrada

Please and thank you :)

KEEP CALM AND BOOGIE ON!

SILENCE IS GOLDEN, BUT DUCT TAPE IS SILVER.

Just a quick one to say that it's not just Esterbrook J-series Osmiroid nibs fit in, but the 'dollar pens' too.

Hi, I'm Mat

These two go to Lamyrada and Inky Fingers. Please PM me with your addresses.

Hi, I'm Mat

Congratulations to Lamyrada and Inky Fingers for winning these very unusual nibs!

Amazing! I won something in FPN! Thank you so much, I cannot wait to start writing and enjoying my revamped Esterbrook! --

Many thanks, my dear.. I have several times given away PIFs but seldom a receiver for a long time of a PIF. You must Know that my Grey Esterbrook (J) is very happy already and sends you her thanks.

I congratulate the other winner.