Parker Pen—Section Stuck In Cap

Hanamizu

When I first started reading this thread, I thought that you had erred with a typo but I now realise that you were prescient!

Good luck

:D

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hanamizu

• Ron Z

• Chrissy

• siamackz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The saga continues...Second try at freezing/thawing. Still no joy, but I'm amazed at how much ink is coming out of the section/cap/tassie. I have sonicated it several times and never have had as much ink come out. So maybe there's hope. Perhaps several freeze/thaws/sonic cleanings will loosen things up.

The saga is nearly concluded. I a small c-ring clamp, attached it to the threads of the section and then put the assembly into a kinetic bullet puller. This contraption looks like a plastic hammer and is used to pull bullets from cartridges without damaging either the bullet or the cartridge. The c-ring acted as the rim of a cartridge. Anyway, once set up it only took a couple of hits have the section out of the cap.

Alas, there is no nib and the story is not quite finished. I now have the black section free, but there is silver-colored metal on the forward part of the back plastic. I suspect it is the inner cap. So I still have to free the section from it, get it back and secured in the cap, reinstall the barrel threads (they looked to have been held in with some sort of glue). I believe what I have is a roller ball, perhaps from the 180 family.

After all, any hobby worth its name requires some tinkering, doesn't it?

Edited by Hanamizu

You could have a 75. They did make the 75 with metal section threads for a while. Please post a picture of what you have...

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Am I the only person who would love to see pictures of the pen, section, c-ring clamp and "kinetic bullet puller. " ;)

No: me too. The kinetic bullet puller sounds especially intriguing.

David.

post-35182-0-79458600-1521758817.jpg

You could have a 75. They did make the 75 with metal section threads for a while. Please post a picture of what you have...

No, it is much thinner than a 75.

Here's what I have, and for those who asked the c-clip (I don't know its official name) on the treads of the section. You can see what I suspect is an inner cap that is still stuck on the left side of the section. A roller ball refill may well fit, but right now the inner cap is in the way Below, is the barrel with the little part that is the barrel threads that appeared to be glued in. There is a 75 flighter at the bottom for size comparison.

Am I the only person who would love to see pictures of the pen, section, c-ring clamp and "kinetic bullet puller. " ;)

Glad to oblige. You insert the bullet (or stubborn pen part) in the right side. You screw down the knob-looking thing which tightens a round three-part clamp. You then strike using the left side.

post-35182-0-45310100-1521759899.jpg

Edited by Hanamizu

Here's the section in the bullet puller. You can see the c-ring on the threads (sorry the pic is out of focus). The c-ring lets the cap fly down but keeps the section in place. Once I had it set up properly, it only took a couple of taps to break the cap free.

post-35182-0-50961400-1521760337.jpg

Edited by Hanamizu

This made me go down and pull out my modern Parker service manual.

I am fairly sure that this is a Parker 180. Nothing else quite matches up with the drawings. The manual shows that the clip screw on top should unscrew, allowing you to remove the clip, and then push the plastic inner cap and everything else out of the cap. You might need to use a dowel or chopstick to drive it out. I wouldn't use a metal rod, because it could damage the inner cap. If the inner doesn't come out after taking the clip screw and clip off, put it into the ultrasonic again, or let it soak in water over night, and try again. A little heat wouldn't hurt, but to avoid melting or distorting the inner cap, don't get it hot.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Thanks for the tips, Ron, I'll try them. But the thing still stuck on the section is metal. It was clearly never meant to be seen because its outside is unfinished and has some dimples on it. There is a hole in the forward end of it that is jagged. Shining a light through it, I can see what looks to be a trim ring maybe a 1/4" beneath it. That's why I thought it might be the inner cap.

When everything was still stuck together, turning the section caused the tassie to turn with it. I speculate that someone really jammed the pen into the cap really hard and somehow jammed what I think is the inner cap into whatever holds the tassie on.

The fact that when I got the section out there was ink all over the place makes me think that the roller ball cartridge also ruptured during the jamming. (I can see no signs of a f.p. nib). When the previous owner couldn't get the pen to come out of the cap, he unscrewed the barrel, pulled out the roller ball, cleaned things up and sold it as a 'parts pen'. No matter how things turn out, I've gotten my money's worth in entertainment value as an interesting puzzle to solve. And I may get a roller ball pen out of it as well. And if it is a 180 perhaps I can find a nib unit for it.

I went back to check, and I stand corrected. Some of the 180 pens had a clip screw, the early, and stainless pens have a rivet. I have posted a scan of the relevant page from the Parker repair manual here. The page gives repair instructions and an exploded view. The file is pretty big, and I don't want to reduce it so that you can read the type at the bottom of the page.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens

Thank you for the diagrams. Obviously what is stuck on the section is a very different shape than the inner cap in the illustration. On the other hand the hole in the top of what I'm calling the inner cap looks very much like it has been pulled out of a rivet.