Ocean Noir - Monteverde Noir Ink

visvamitra

Monteverde is part of Yafa company. Some time ago the company offered wide array of new inks with Ink ITF™ - new Ink Treatment Formula that's supposed to drastically improve ink-flow quality, extend cap-off time and improve ink drying time on paper. After trying two inks I can agree it's not just marketing - the inks behave very well.

The company entered ink market in strong way. After succesfull launch of Gemstone series, Noir, Core and Emotions series followed.

Bottle

fpn_1520965715__oceannoir_bottle.jpg

The inks can be bought in 30 (and 90) ml bottle. The bottle is made of lass, has simple design and id pretty functional - stable and with wide neck allowing to fill quite comfortably (as long as there's more than 60 % of the ink content in it) even monster fountain pens straight from the bottle.

Ink

fpn_1520965780__oceannoir_is.jpg

The ink is strongly saturated and simply nice. I don't really use blue inks but I'll keep this one.

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1520965738__oceannoir_rk.jpg

Color ID

fpn_1520965753__oceannoir_fn_3.jpg

Color range

fpn_1520965808__oceannoir_fn_4.jpg

Field Notes, Faggionato Petrarque, M

fpn_1520965828__oceannoir_fn_1.jpg

fpn_1520965868__oceannoir_fn_2.jpg

Rhodia, Faggionato Petrarque, M

fpn_1520965882__oceannoir_rh_1.jpg

fpn_1520965898__oceannoir_rh_2.jpg

fpn_1520965914__oceannoir_rh_3.jpg

Tomoe River, Faggionato Petrarque, M

fpn_1520965926__oceannoir_tr_1.jpg

fpn_1520965944__oceannoir_tr_2.jpg

fpn_1520965957__oceannoir_tr_3.jpg

Water Resistance

fpn_1520965976__oceannoir_tr_4.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ErrantSmudge

• lapis

• UDog

• TSherbs

Very nice vibrant blue, reminiscent of Visconti Blue? I fail to see how it's "noir" though.

I have both Visconti Blue & Ocean Noir. My MV is noticeably darker than the Visconti & I wouldnt call it a vibrant blue. It is definitely darker than it appears here.

Edited by migo984

Verba volant, scripta manent

I'd say more in the direction of S.T. Dupont's BLEUT NUIT / DARK BLUE (in cartridges only, Rèf. 040111) but not at all as dark. Still, a nice, somewhat-dark blue. Thanks for the review.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Visvamitra's images almost look too good to be true.

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

Thank you, Vis, for another outstanding review. This is my favorite color. I think I will have to get a bottle of this.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I tried this ink out in person at the Yafa booth at this year's LA Pen Show, and immediately bought a bottle. It's a gorgeous deep blue with a tinge of black, but isn't a blue-black and isn't a blurple. It's also distinctly different from the other big Monteverde blues (Horizon Blue, Sapphire Blue).

Thanks Vis, can’t wait for my full set of these inks based on what I’ve seen of your reviews.

Thank you Vis for another great review
I LOVE the drop on kitchen towel; it's exactly what I would expect from an ink called 'Ocean Noir', and also basing the bottle label. It is gorgeous.
However the other pictures seem to me like 'just' a blue; a nice, vibrant one, but nothing I'm too excited about.

The writing sample I took at the LA Pen Show (on Tomoe River paper) looks more like the paper towel blotch, especially in places where the writing heavily shades.

I think the difference in hue is at least somewhat due to the wetness of the pen and the absorbency of the paper. I haven't filled a pen of my own with the ink yet to really delve into its behavior.

Here's a scan of the writing sample I took at the Yafa booth at the LA Pen Show. Monteverde Monza pen (pre-inked by the Monteverde staff), on Tomoe River paper.

fpn_1521217098__ocean_noir.jpg

Wow. That ink looks as if it's got tons of sheen to it! It would be interesting to see a comparison with inks such as Diamine Oxford Blue and KWZI Chicago Blue LE.

Thanks for the review. And, well, not.... :wallbash:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for formatting

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 5 weeks later...

Here's a scan of the writing sample I took at the Yafa booth at the LA Pen Show. Monteverde Monza pen (pre-inked by the Monteverde staff), on Tomoe River paper.

fpn_1521217098__ocean_noir.jpg

Thank you ES for my sample. I really like this ink.

Vis, thanks for another great review.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 1 year later...

Oh, no! I have Diamine Oxford Blue, Diamine Midnight Blue, and Sheaffer's Skrip Blue-Black, #22, the great stuff from the mid-60's. Appears I need yet another dark blue.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

I recently received the Noir Collection. Of the four inks I have sampled, this and Smoke Noir are my favorites.

Thanks for the the review.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.

• 1 year later...

I keep buying MV inks. I genuinely believe they're the sweet spot of price, colour and aesthetic.

A very fine ink. Fade resistent too.

Less is More - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Less is a Bore - Robert Venturi