Real Visconti?

hockey4496

Hi all, second post here and was hoping to get some feedback from those with more knowledge than myself.

I just picked up this Visconti Starry night off eBay last week, seller had 100% feedback based out of US. Everything matches up other than the the package insert/pamphlet wasn't in the pen box (indicating it may have been opened).

The nib and feeder don't match any Van Gogh that I can find for reference after 15 minutes of googling. From what I understand the clip on mine is that of the new design, but even with that said the pics I could find showing this same new design (white etched logo) also all have a different nib than pictured here.

Any thoughts?post-142173-0-63147200-1520881905_thumb.jpgpost-142173-0-78195400-1520881923_thumb.jpgpost-142173-0-95892500-1520881944_thumb.jpgpost-142173-0-31270300-1520881968_thumb.jpgpost-142173-0-20164000-1520881982_thumb.jpgpost-142173-0-93856100-1520881994_thumb.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jekostas

• Ghost Plane

• Cordovian

• hockey4496

It may be an older version that the seller had used once and then sold as new. It's the type of simple design which a pen maker may start off with. No breather hole is curious though.

Did you not check these things out before you bought? I mean Viscontis aren't cheap so I would hope that people investigate what they buy before buying. I assume that the seller provided pics of the nib.

Look on the bright side, if it's fake it has a much better chance of writing well

Edited by Bluey

That nib doesnt look right. The nib on my Rembrandt which are the same as on the Van Gogh has more intricate engraving, half moon breather hole and has Visconti Firenze engraved on it.

Good news! Phew, I was getting nervous the further down I scrolled. Thanks guys!

Edited by hockey4496

It's curious why they have become less ornate rather than more. It's typical on nibs that are designed for softness to minimise the amount of scrollwork.

Good news! Phew, I was getting nervous the further down I scrolled. Thanks guys!

Im glad for the happy ending here. :)

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that Visconti is currently redesigning most, if not all, of their nibs. I think these nibs may be a temporary solution using some possible older stock.

But don't quote me on that as I can't remember for the life of me where I heard that. Possibly a more recent Goulet video.

They don't even bother to punch out the breather hole these days

Breather holes aren't necessary on stiff nibs. They have no effect on air exchange.

Lately I've been wondering if "breather holes" can actually speed up the rate at which ink dries on the nib, reducing the time for which the pen can be left uncapped without writing?

No real reason for thinking so, just idle speculation.

Let us know whether this nib writes well? I feel these are probably Visconti's way of trying to help improve the performance of their nibs?

Ugh. Way to hose up their branding.

Agreed...it looks like the nib you'd expect on a disposable pen. Saving a couple of bucks on production costs doesn't help your bottom line if the result is a product your customers perceive as cheap and quit buying.

Agreed...it looks like the nib you'd expect on a disposable pen. Saving a couple of bucks on production costs doesn't help your bottom line if the result is a product your customers perceive as cheap and quit buying.

If Visconti's well-known and thoroughly documented issues with their nibs not actually writing hasn't driven customers away I'm not sure what would.

If Visconti's well-known and thoroughly documented issues with their nibs not actually writing hasn't driven customers away I'm not sure what would.

post-110470-0-73176200-1521118141_thumb.jpg