Pilot Vanishing Point Review

smileypen

A thorough review. The pics are a great help. I love my Decimo. I have to keep my pens in my shirt pocket and access them and write with one hand (preferably).And I use a proper grip. Sell your pen. You will never like it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smileypen

• pvdiamon

• inkstainedruth

• Honeybadgers

I have one with the special alloy (steel) nib coming from japan. I figure that with the fine nibs, you would not be able to tell, and for about $70, I can get an 18k stub nib for it.

My wife's grip is similar but even more pronounced, she literally holds a pen between her ring and middle finger.

I know several people that have a triangular grip but rest their pens between their index and middle fingers. They say that they can comfortably write that way all day without fatigue. Works for them as they can write fast and legible.

Such a satisfying thread to read regarding a pen I've had three of this decade alone!

It's the alluring practical aesthetic but then let down with utilitarian components; my pens had good finish and were still in great condition when I sold them but the over soft nib and dry out time while not in use negated the benefits of quick usability. The mechanism for releasing the nib also had me concerned it might unseal and cause time consuming warranty issues.

On reflection, if it was this or a luxury ballpoint with Parker style G2 refills, I'd choose the latter.

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

Such a satisfying thread to read regarding a pen I've had three of this decade alone!

It's the alluring practical aesthetic but then let down with utilitarian components; my pens had good finish and were still in great condition when I sold them but the over soft nib and dry out time while not in use negated the benefits of quick usability. The mechanism for releasing the nib also had me concerned it might unseal and cause time consuming warranty issues.

On reflection, if it was this or a luxury ballpoint with Parker style G2 refills, I'd choose the latter.

The mechanism is reliable. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

The pen is on my wish list and after this review I'm even more willing to check it. It was first critisizing review I've read.

A very thorough and useful review - I agree that there are many overly gushing reviews out there, even if they are honest, but not as many critical ones.

When I consider a purchase I actually try to find people who have negative experiences and will explain them honestly - very useful and informative: thanks for taking the time!

(Im also secretly happier now my wife bought me a Lamy 2000 instead of one of these for Christmas - both were on my list :-P)

~AK

Edited by AK-47

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

Has anyone had a problem with the VP pooling ink over time inside the trap door? Mine did it using Noodler's Black. It might just be that ink, but wonder if others have experienced this. I can see ink on the bottom side of the nib, and over time that can make a mess. I'm now using Namiki Black which seems to be ok. I would like a more water resistant ink. If Nooder's is not so compatible with the VP, I've seen good reviews on Namiki blue-black.

John in NC

The passion not to be fooled and not to fool anybody else..two searching questions of positivism: what do you mean? How do you know? (Bertrand Russell, Dominant Passion of The True Scientist)

I wonder whether or not it's fair to compare the VP/capless to traditional fountain pens. Surely the narrow nib required to facilitate the retractable function/design limits/compromises its performance?

Gary

I think the ink capacity is great because I use a pilot cartridge with the metal cap on it. I have two converters for this pen, but I prefer the ink capacity of the cartridges. Occasionally I refill the cartridges using a Goulet ink syringe when I want a color not available in cart format. Works great!

I have a matte black one that I purchased second hand. The broad nib was way too wide for work use so I bought a fine nib from the FPN classifieds. The fine is slightly too fine so when I get around to it, I'll sell off my fine and broad nibs and purchase a medium one. But for now, I'm really enjoying the convenience of the click pen.

In regards to scratches, mine is pretty beat up and I love it. Looks very well used now even though I've only had it a few months. Typically I like perfect pens and carry most in sleeves. For some reason I think this one looks better all scratched up with the brass showing through the matte black. I can say that it does scratch easily though.

A very thorough and useful review - I agree that there are many overly gushing reviews out there, even if they are honest, but not as many critical ones.

When I consider a purchase I actually try to find people who have negative experiences and will explain them honestly - very useful and informative: thanks for taking the time!

(Im also secretly happier now my wife bought me a Lamy 2000 instead of one of these for Christmas - both were on my list :-P)

~AK

Thank you!

I wonder whether or not it's fair to compare the VP/capless to traditional fountain pens. Surely the narrow nib required to facilitate the retractable function/design limits/compromises its performance?

Gary

That's a hard question and I think at the end of the day fountain pen enthusiasts are going to be buying this pen in order to write with a fountain pen. I understand that the nib is small and thin, but like unlike hooded nibs, Parker 51, Lamy 2000, the Pilot VP was just not well tuned enough for me.

I think the ink capacity is great because I use a pilot cartridge with the metal cap on it. I have two converters for this pen, but I prefer the ink capacity of the cartridges. Occasionally I refill the cartridges using a Goulet ink syringe when I want a color not available in cart format. Works great!

I have a matte black one that I purchased second hand. The broad nib was way too wide for work use so I bought a fine nib from the FPN classifieds. The fine is slightly too fine so when I get around to it, I'll sell off my fine and broad nibs and purchase a medium one. But for now, I'm really enjoying the convenience of the click pen.

In regards to scratches, mine is pretty beat up and I love it. Looks very well used now even though I've only had it a few months. Typically I like perfect pens and carry most in sleeves. For some reason I think this one looks better all scratched up with the brass showing through the matte black. I can say that it does scratch easily though.

Very interesting! Pilot converters are not great, so this is a good idea for those who need to squeeze out a little bit more ink capacity.

smileypen: A good, thought-provoking review.

The VP does have a love-it-or-hate-it design, but I came to love it (particularly after trying the much-anticipated-by-me Lamy Dialog 3, which I ended up decidedly not liking). Next to my pair of Pilot Custom 823s, it gets the most mileage, and for me, especially in rough-n-ready situations, the positioning of the clip is a genuine help as opposed to a hindrance. But it doesn't do it for everybody.

This is amazing! It's a great review and completely in accordance with my experience (with one exception) but with a completely opposite outcome as to the utility of the pen! It just shows how different we are in our needs and uses of fountain pens.

The VP definitely has compromises due to its design - the small capacity, finicky grip and tendency to creep and pool ink are all due to this in my opinion.

The one area where my experience differs from the OP is the robustness of the pen. My first VP lasted 10 years or so before I lost it. Daily carry to work in the bottom of my briefcase. Carried in my pocket during the day and generally just put on the desk and not ever carried in a case. I found that it still looked great and unscathed after all that time. My VP was (and it's replacement is) the black Kasuri (carbonesque) finish. I believe it's lacquer over brass and seems to be incredibly tough and hard. My 'new' VP is around five years old and is looking as good as new.

I don't disagree with the OP on the negatives of the pen. It's just that they mean less to me than the positives. For me it is the perfect travel pen and is great for quick note taking on the move. The shape suits my writing grip and the low capacity is easily remedied with a Pilot cartridge refilled with a syringe.

As the OP's thorough review demonstrates, the Pilot VP is a polarising pen for good reason. It really is one you have to try before you buy. You'll either love it or hate it!

You mention the pooling of ink. Any favorites that you find don't pool ink?

John in NC

The passion not to be fooled and not to fool anybody else..two searching questions of positivism: what do you mean? How do you know? (Bertrand Russell, Dominant Passion of The True Scientist)

Got mine with a fine steel nib and I'm glad I didn't opt for the gold nib. it's the identical body (the nib units are swappable) and the fine nib is just fine with me. I don't see how a gold nib would make a blind bit of difference in a nib that tiny. I might opt for the 1.0 stub some day, but it bothers me that it can't be gotten in gold, only rhodium or black.

Overall, a fine nib with a CON40 is not going to run out of ink before I get bored of the color. I think this'll be a great work pen in my breast pocket. mine is a little dry but doesn't skip, so it's fine. just can't use pale inks like glare olive brown.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Thanks for the critical review. It will help those with different grips and steep angles realize this pen may not work for them. I love mine, it fits my hand and grip really well. Due to capacity I tend to use mine with a Pilot cart. The extra fine is so fine that you can easily do crosswords in the news paper with no feathering. Heck you can even write on paper towel or tissue with no feathering!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I have realized that for brief note taking, the pen is freaking fabulous, like when I'm on duty, but for writing more than a few short sentences at a time, I find the shape fairly awkward in the hand and the stepdown between the body and the "cap" is where I tend find the pen most balanced, and that stepdown is very obtrusive and annoying.

Overall... not super in love with this thing. I think the e95s is more to my liking.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 2 months later...

great reviews. I bought two. The matte black is carried in my shirt or jacket pocket most of the day in meetings. I typically take notes sporadically every few minutes. The retractable nib is, for me, its best feature. My former pen had to be capped and uncapped all day long. I am left handed and find the clip great for orientation. I write at a low angle. Black Namiki carts.

My wife, an author, stole my fish scale blue one and never gave it back. She can hold the book open with her left hand, click and sign with her right, and put the pen safely back in her pocket all the while chatting with the purchaser of the book.

One negative: people who borrow my pen universally hate it .....well, maybe not so negative. They cant seem to decide how to hold it.

great reviews. I bought two. The matte black is carried in my shirt or jacket pocket most of the day in meetings. I typically take notes sporadically every few minutes. The retractable nib is, for me, its best feature. My former pen had to be capped and uncapped all day long. I am left handed and find the clip great for orientation. I write at a low angle. Black Namiki carts.

My wife, an author, stole my fish scale blue one and never gave it back. She can hold the book open with her left hand, click and sign with her right, and put the pen safely back in her pocket all the while chatting with the purchaser of the book.

One negative: people who borrow my pen universally hate it .....well, maybe not so negative. They cant seem to decide how to hold it.

Your wife "stole" one of yours? You're lucky to have found someone of such discerning taste. :-)

My matte black VP is showing obvious but entirely superficial signs of wear-and tear (my fault for clipping it to my pants pocket, where it hits all sorts of immovable objects in the course of a day). I just remember that it takes the hits my pair of 823s don't have to (they travel in my dual-eyeglass case from Levenger), but still writes superbly.

Edited by amateriat

You mention the pooling of ink. Any favorites that you find don't pool ink?

For me Aurora blue is the best combo until now. I use the converter.

I have to clean it less with that ink, I can't even remember the las time I had to clean it.

I use it daily.

Orval

• 2 months later...

A thorough review. The pics are a great help. I love my Decimo. I have to keep my pens in my shirt pocket and access them and write with one hand (preferably).And I use a proper grip. Sell your pen. You will never like it.

Yep i totally agree that this pen is not one of an acquired taste. You either need/like this pen, or you don't and never will. I'm working in medicine, and this is the most practical and usable fountain pen for me (left hand on the chart board, right hand click and go).

I still love pulling out my Lamy 2000 for a longer, sit-down writing session though.