Hallo...

hsw21

Hi Everyone,

My name is Hendra from Los Angeles, and I just started to try using a fountain pen.

I would like to know which brand or model to get for beginner, specially the wider tip for calligraphy.

Bought the Manuscript Calligraphy Set, the smaller thinner tip works just fine, but the wider tip (2.8 mm) seems like not working properly, the ink wouldnt constantly flow.

I dont know if this is a defect or the tip that wide has to be used differently (?). And, is the Manuscript a good brand ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA.

Again, Hi from Los Angeles.

Hendra.

Edited by hsw21

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hsw21

• pitonyak

• Carrau

• gmathio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Hendra and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

Welcome aboard, Hendra, from Charleston, SC. You might want to pose your questions regarding calligraphy pens under the forum for Calligraphy Discussions. Do a search for pens for newbies or beginners-there should be lots of threads with recommendations for beginner fountainpens, as well as pros and cons.

As you are a newbie to fountain pens, you might look at the Reference Pages on a website called Richard's Pens: it has a wealth of info about the basics of fountain pens, their use and care, and it will help you avoid making some mistakes. A couple of other websites with useful information for newbies include PenChalet, Jetpens and the Goulet Pen Company. Goulet has made quite a few videos available on their website and on YouTube, which are helpful with some procedures related to FP use. There is a series of posts here, called A Newbies Guide to Inks, which is worth reviewing (you’ll find it as the first pinned topic under the Inky Thoughts Subforum). Bear in mind that how your writing appears on the page is a complex interplay of pen, paper, nib, ink, and handwriting, so be patient as you experiment with these variables. Enjoy, and good luck.

Mike

Hi Hendra.

And another warm welcome from South Africa!

I am also rather new at this... All I can suggest is to do as much research on this Forum as well as internet searches. There is a wealth of information out there (And here of course) but sometimes you need to spend a bit of time on this. Herrjaeger has mentioned a number of excellent sites which you should really look into.

As for your question;

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/169078-manuscript-calligraphy-pen/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/282120-manuscript-clear-calligraphy-set-review-5-35-45-7-35-45/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/231608-are-manuscript-beginner-calligraphy-pens-reliable/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/5939-manuscript-fountain-pens/

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hi Everyone.

Thanks for the warm welcome, and I'm for sure will check out those extra information recommended to me.

Hendra.

Hello and a very warm welcome to you :)

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Welcome to FPN.

You asked some specific questions, so, let me start with a disclaimer that I do not do Calligraphy and you should probably ask in Calligraphy specific section to get started (see https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/forum/12-calligraphy-discussions/) just because I expect a bunch of people who do this to be hanging out...

Now... If I look up the Manuscript Deluxe Calligraphy Set on Amazon, it seems to review poorly. The most common complaint seems to be getting the ink to flow.

If I look up the Pilot set, it seems to review pretty well:

https://www.gouletpens.com/pilot-parallel-pen-hand-lettering-calligraphy-set/p/PN90080

https://www.amazon.com/Set-Pilot-Parallel-Calligraphy-Pens/dp/B0125CTA6U

I inherited a set for Shaeffer, it is pretty old and I do not have any ink for the pens, and it reviews better than yours, but not as good as the Pilot.

When my daughter expressed interest, I started here: https://thepostmansknock.com/beginners-guide-modern-calligraphy/

I then purchased some dip pens and some dip ink. We have not yet explored cartridge pens to do the same and we have not gotten far along. I won't bother with the advantages of each type of system, but, when I ordered the dip pens, I knew of no other alternative, and I cannot say that it is a bad way to go. For sure the dip pens, at least that I saw, the nibs and similar are very inexpensive and you do not need to worry about things drying out because you do not keep the pens inked.

I know that I could order a couple of Pilot Metropolitan pens and get some wider nibs and start there, but, I don't think that they go as wide as the calligraphy sets. Disadvantage, you cannot just change the nibs with a Metropolitan, you get what you get.

if you go with a Lamy, you can buy replacement nibs, and buy a set of 1.1, 1.5, and 1.9 nibs for $37.80; which is more expensive than the entire Pilot Calligraphy pens.

https://www.gouletpens.com/package-set-lamy-replacement-steel-nibs-italics/p/Package-LMY-Italics

If you have no experience, I would be inclined to buy a set that includes a book to learn

The reason that I like this set https://www.gouletpens.com/pilot-parallel-pen-hand-lettering-calligraphy-set/p/PN90080 is that it includes four sets, a guidebook, is well reviewed everyplace that I look.

If you have a local retailer, you can go in and speak with them directly about them. If they are not knowledgeable, call a place such as Goulet Pens and chat with them, they have great customer service.

I hope that this helps at least a little.

Hi there Hendra, greetings from the Twilight Zone!

You might want to try the Shaeffer pens. They cost about $5 each.

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Guys..

Thanks again for all the welcome and answer/info for me.

That was really helpfull.

What I have in mind now is that Im gonna be using Pilot Metro for regular writing and Pilot Parallel for caligraphy stuff. What you Guys think ?

Will try them out hopefully this weekend.

BTW are the cartridge for Pilot Metropolitan and Parallel interchangeable ? If yes, that'll simplify the ink purchase.

Thanks.

Welcome Hendra! You will find lots of great information here and many suggestions to expand your collection.

I do not know much about calligraphy but I do have a Pilot 78G Double Broad Italic nib post-141133-0-76260400-1520947128_thumb.jpg, which makes some nice line variation. On the Pilot Parallel I am not sure about the nib but the Pilot 78G nib is interchangeable with the Metropolitan.

From using the Italic nib I learned there is a sweet spot in which to hold it, that maybe the issue. However, I could not stand the scratchiness of the nib so I micro meshed the sharp corners and polished it with mylar. Now its nice and smooth and is a joy to write with.
post-141133-0-26766200-1520544412_thumb.jpeg

Cheers,
Ozzy

None of us knows how long he shall live or when his time will come. But soon all that will be left of our brief lives is the pride our children feel when they speak our names.