The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Montblanc 146 - Real Or Fake?

146 montblanc

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Alanz25

Alanz25

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:00

Hello All,

Ive just recently embarked on my journey to collect fountain pens, so please forgive me for my inexperience. Ive always loved the look of the Montblancs, and I happened to stumble upon an eBay listing for a 146 in (seemingly) good condition. However, knowing its from eBay, Im unsure if it is a genuine pen or just a high quality fake. Ive looked closely at the pictures and it seems that the engraving on the nib looks a bit off to the left. Knowing I probably cant tell the difference between a real and a fake, I need advice whether or not to purchase this pen

Thanks in advance.

Alan

eBay listing: https://www.ebay.com...wsAAOSwBwBanwgf

Sponsored Content

#2 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:27

On those pictures I can't see the ink window in the barrel, and there are no pictures of the end cone unscrewed to confirm the internal piston is there.

However, the nib and feed look authentic to me. Especially with the collar around the feed. So does the box.  :)

Welcome to FPN.  :W2FPN:

#3 james3paris

james3paris

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2018 - 17:09

I think the pen looks right.   However, I emailed the seller to ask a couple of questions.  If he responds, I will let you know.  For now, I would recommend looking at the classifieds on this site. 

#4 james3paris

james3paris

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2018 - 22:29

I received this image from the seller.    I am pretty confident that it is real. 

Attached Images

• s-l1600.jpg

#5 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 22:35

Yes, that's authentic. :)  Exactly the type of picture you want to see when someone lists a 146 or 149 for sale  :thumbup:

Not just an ink window, but a nice clean one.  :D

#6 fpgreeks

fpgreeks

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2018 - 22:36

it seems real to me!

#7 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,421 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 23:09

I agree, the pen is authentic.

If I may make an observation....   It never hurts to look at the upper right hand corner at the number of sales and the sellers feedback rating.  The seller has been on eBay since 2007,  and has 1060 feedback comments with a 100% positive feedback rating.  You don't get those kind of numbers selling fake pens or defective.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#8 Alanz25

Alanz25

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2018 - 00:35

Thank you all so much for your help!

Sorry for being a bit paranoid about the pens authenticity. This is the most money I've ever spent on fountain pens (probably won't stay the most that way :P ), and my first time buying off eBay so I thought i'd be a bit more careful. That being said, I will definitely remember all the valuable guidance you've all provided for me for future reference. As for the pen, I am now 100% confident in its authenticity and I hope i will be able to win the auction!

Alan

#9 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:02

I agree, the pen is authentic.

If I may make an observation....   It never hurts to look at the upper right hand corner at the number of sales and the sellers feedback rating.  The seller has been on eBay since 2007,  and has 1060 feedback comments with a 100% positive feedback rating.  You don't get those kind of numbers selling fake pens or defective.

I agree. It's always the first thing I look at on a listing.  :thumbup:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 146, montblanc

Sponsored Content

|