The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Can Anyone Identify The Maker Of This Grifos Gold Nib?

grifos

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sub_bluesy

sub_bluesy

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:27

Im trying to justify adding an 18kt gold nib to an order for a Grifos Pen. I dont recognize the markings on the nib and Im not completely familiar with the brand and what nibs they use. Is the nib worth an extra $160 over steel? The pen is made in Italy but I know nothing about the nib maker. Maybe the good people on FPN can tell me if its worth the up charge? I have a couple hours to make the decision so no time to email the manufacturer. Its a massdrop deal.
Someday the mountain might get em but the law never will.........

Sponsored Content

#2 Barkingpig

Barkingpig

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:00

From a post here on 13 October, 2009, Member "diplomat" quoted the nibs being outsourced from BOCK.  

I know the nib on my Grifos pen was merely the gold plated nib & had the same engraving as yours show; I replaced mine with a Goulet 1.5 stub because I didn't care for the nib shipped with my pen, not it's replacement.  I have enjoyed the pen & after replacing the nib can say I am glad I purchased it.

#3 sub_bluesy

sub_bluesy

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:41

From a post here on 13 October, 2009, Member "diplomat" quoted the nibs being outsourced from BOCK.  

I know the nib on my Grifos pen was merely the gold plated nib & had the same engraving as yours show; I replaced mine with a Goulet 1.5 stub because I didn't care for the nib shipped with my pen, not it's replacement.  I have enjoyed the pen & after replacing the nib can say I am glad I purchased it.

If I remember right the Goulet nib is a JoWo. Also a good nib. I have a Goulet stub on a Monteverde right now. I’ve had pretty good luck with Bock nibs overall. I ended up throwing down on the gold stub upgrade. It looks like the going rate on an aftermarket gold nib is on par with the upgrade cost and the only stub option was in gold on that promo. Thanks for the quick reply! That helped me know what I’m getting in to before ordering.
Someday the mountain might get em but the law never will.........

#4 stubnib

stubnib

Maurizio Stura

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2019 - 17:47

Hello from Italy.

This our pen have a German made nib by Bock company.

Thank you so much for your attention and if I can help I'm here at your disposal!

Best regards from Aosta Valley, Italy

Grifos Pens Italy

Maurizio

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grifos

Sponsored Content

|