Old School And New School - Ink Bottle Holder - Adventures In 3D Printing

jconn

It's been a few days since my 3D printer arrived, and I've started designing a few projects. I'm a neophyte when it comes to creating 3D models, so learning how to use the software has been the biggest challenge so far. I'm using OnShape for modeling, which is a browser-based free application, and it seems to work OK.

With that said, hot off the printer, I present this - an ink bottle holder specifically sized for the Montblanc 30ml square bottles. I haven't sanded or touched up this item, so bear with any minor surface imperfections. Then again, I like the "industrial look", which I think contrasts with the fine, delicate design of the Montblanc ink bottles.

This version is printed in black PLA (Polylactic Acid) filament, although I think that it would look much nicer in a white or blue material as well. Total time to design the model was about an hour, but it took about 5 hours to print.

First, a screenshot of the 3D model taken from the slicer program, Cura, which translates the 3D models into gcode instructions that the printer can understand.

post-21068-0-81038200-1520747950.jpg

The finished product!

post-21068-0-89669700-1520748279_thumb.jpg

Side by side with the ink bottle for size comparison.

post-21068-0-71002000-1520748271_thumb.jpg

Next project -- a pair of stands/holders for Montblanc's "shoe"-shaped bottles.

Here's a sneak peek:

post-21068-0-87611800-1520748420.jpg

post-21068-0-11737900-1520748486_thumb.jpg

These are basic designs - I have ideas for much for complicated stuff that I will work on as my ability in 3D modeling improves!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jconn

• Tom Kellie

• zaddick

• Chrissy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

~ Hi, Jeremy!

It's great to have your creativity directed towards Montblanc ink bottles.

As of yet I've never seen a 3-D printer, much less handled any product they've made.

It's useful to see both the models and the finished product, giving a sense of how the process occurs.

May I please ask a basic question?

How do you determine a fit which holds an ink bottle but is not excessively snug?

The bottle in the holder looks fairly stabilized. Does it feel secure without any perceptible jiggling or rocking?

Thank you for posting this information. Your new toy looks like it'll be much fun to use.

Tom K.

~ Hi, Jeremy!

It's great to have your creativity directed towards Montblanc ink bottles.

As of yet I've never seen a 3-D printer, much less handled any product they've made.

It's useful to see both the models and the finished product, giving a sense of how the process occurs.

May I please ask a basic question?

How do you determine a fit which holds an ink bottle but is not excessively snug?

The bottle in the holder looks fairly stabilized. Does it feel secure without any perceptible jiggling or rocking?

Thank you for posting this information. Your new toy looks like it'll be much fun to use.

Tom K.

Tom,

For your first question...

In a word, I guess-timated.

I measured opposing surfaces on the ink bottle at several points and determined the basic dimensions. Given that the bottles are glass, I expected there to be some variation in the dimensions, length and width, and the opposing surfaces are not totally parallel, neither are adjoining surfaces square (90 degrees) to one another.

After I had these measurements of the item, I added a bit extra for clearance and irregularity in the shape of the bottle relative to the square and parallel shape in the model.

What I ended up with (on paper) is a design which offers 0.005" clearance in width and length, but this isn't the end of the story.

Because of the accuracy and precision of the 3D printer, there is an variability to the consistency of the clearance, simply because we're dealing with extruded plastic, built in multiple layers. Likewise, there is some minor distortion possible as the layers rise from the print bed because the print head and support tower can torque and twist relative to the printed part. (Of course, this should be taken with a non-perfectionist's grain of salt, because this deviation is probably somewhere in the ball park of 0.002" or less).

So, the beauty of the 3D printing process is that I can quickly change the dimensions if my guess-timate proved too conservative, or was too liberal, with regard to acceptable fit. Then, I can go just print another and in a few hours, I'll have item to test-fit.

I'm new to 3D printing and 3D modeling, but my Dad and Great Uncles are all machinists, and I've picked up a few kernels of knowledge over the years. Still, machining (as in working with metal) is mostly an operation to remove material from a raw blank to produce a finished product. 3D printing is an additive process, where raw material is added until a finished shape is produced. There's a fair amount of cross-over in the disciplines, but the planning and designing can be different in many ways.

For your second question...

To me, it's not too tight or too loose. Like Goldilocks, it fits just right. There is a bit of wiggle and rattle, which is good in this case. I didn't want a press- or friction-fit because if the bottle was inserted and got stuck, there is no way to remove it without destroying the 3D print. Likewise, since it sits on a desk not being moved around, it wasn't necessary for the two pieces, bottle and holder, to essentially behave as one part.

I'll try to get a video of the machine operation posted some time so you can have a frame of reference; however, there are a lot of interesting 3D printing videos on YouTube that document essentially the same process I'm using.

Jeremy

In a word, I guess-timated.

I'm new to 3D printing and 3D modeling, but my Dad and Great Uncles are all machinists, and I've picked up a few kernels of knowledge over the years. Still, machining (as in working with metal) is mostly an operation to remove material from a raw blank to produce a finished product. 3D printing is an additive process, where raw material is added until a finished shape is produced. There's a fair amount of cross-over in the disciplines, but the planning and designing can be different in many ways.

I'll try to get a video of the machine operation posted some time so you can have a frame of reference; however, there are a lot of interesting 3D printing videos on YouTube that document essentially the same process I'm using.

~ Jeremy:

Thank you for the very helpful explanation.

Now I understand the tolerance which was factored in to accommodate variation in both glass bottle dimensions and the printing process.

My outdated mindset was thinking of a process wherein a general result was lightly paired with a sharp-edged tool to achieve the desired spacing.

It's far more precise than I'd realized so that chisels and blades might be saved for the sculptor's atelier.

Where I work and live is an area wherein YouTube hasn't been available for many years. I've never seen any video posted in Fountain Pen Network, as they're blocked from being displayed here.

However, that's no matter, as others may be highly interested in seeing such a video.

May your 3-D printing adventures continue to yield usable products of charm and functionality.

Tom K.

~ Jeremy:

Thank you for the very helpful explanation.

Now I understand the tolerance which was factored in to accommodate variation in both glass bottle dimensions and the printing process.

My outdated mindset was thinking of a process wherein a general result was lightly paired with a sharp-edged tool to achieve the desired spacing.

It's far more precise than I'd realized so that chisels and blades might be saved for the sculptor's atelier.

Where I work and live is an area wherein YouTube hasn't been available for many years. I've never seen any video posted in Fountain Pen Network, as they're blocked from being displayed here.

However, that's no matter, as others may be highly interested in seeing such a video.

May your 3-D printing adventures continue to yield usable products of charm and functionality.

Tom K.

Tom,

My apologies in referencing YouTube. I forgot about the Great Firewall for your locale.

Jeremy

Tom,

My apologies in referencing YouTube. I forgot about the Great Firewall for your locale.

Jeremy

~ Jeremy:

As is often said here: “没事”, or “meishi”, which roughly means “it doesn't matter”.

Others would benefit from a YouTube video about 3-D printing, so posting such would be most helpful.

As the Internet here is essentially “sanitized for your protection”, one becomes accustomed to life without “foreign” videos.

Tom

My husband has a low-end 3D printer. So far, I think it's mostly been a kind of expensive toy. He printed off a shield shaped cookie cutter, but hasn't got the hang of smoothing the curves out. And I don't think he's actually used it for several months....

Admittedly, I have several weaving looms I haven't used in a long time -- but at least THOSE were bought used, not new....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Today's quick project - 3D printed trays custom sized to fit a drawer in my writing desk. (Of course, to store part of my Montblanc collection).

The surface finish on the printed trays is not perfect, as I had the machine set up to print at higher speed and thicker layers than I would normally. I just wanted the trays printed quickly, so imperfections be damned!

The last tray was going to be tight fit, so I scaled it down by 4% across the X (width) axis when I printed it, and it dropped right in!

Looking at commercially available pen trays, the slot width is normally 1/2" (12.7mm), but I felt like that was a little too narrow for the Montblanc 149 (first 3 pens on the left), so I ended up designing trays with 3/4" (19mm) slots, which fit the MB 149 much better.

I also added some crookedly-cut felt strips fore and aft to keep the pens from getting banged up when opening and closing the drawer (darn inertia!).

post-21068-0-22131500-1520883429_thumb.jpg

post-21068-0-15868200-1520882953_thumb.jpg

post-21068-0-81199000-1520882975_thumb.jpg

post-21068-0-79783500-1520882945_thumb.jpg

Edited by jconn

Hello. Seems like fun to be had. A suggestion for consideration, and maybe marketable item.

Making a stable ink bottle holder that has an adjustable shelf to tilt the bottle as ink levels go down. Something like an L shaped shelf to hold the bottle with the bottom of the L going up the side of the bottle that will face the user and prevent sliding off the long part of the L. The top of the L could then have little wings that could slot into a seris of grooves that increase the angle of tipping. Sort of like rungs on a curved ladder. To me this is one of the most dangerous times to use MB ink. I can use clay or putty to prop the bottle, but if you want to make holder it might be a fun project and more useful that a plain base as the bottles are already quite stable. I can sketch it out if my ramblings are unclear.

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Hello. Seems like fun to be had. A suggestion for consideration, and maybe marketable item.

Making a stable ink bottle holder that has an adjustable shelf to tilt the bottle as ink levels go down. Something like an L shaped shelf to hold the bottle with the bottom of the L going up the side of the bottle that will face the user and prevent sliding off the long part of the L. The top of the L could then have little wings that could slot into a seris of grooves that increase the angle of tipping. Sort of like rungs on a curved ladder. To me this is one of the most dangerous times to use MB ink. I can use clay or putty to prop the bottle, but if you want to make holder it might be a fun project and more useful that a plain base as the bottles are already quite stable. I can sketch it out if my ramblings are unclear.

Zaddick,

I think I'm picking up what you're putting down. Here's something simple I drew up, sized for the Montblanc 30ml square bottles.

The first part sits inside (think ink bottle cradle inside outer frame).

A normal round pencil serves as the axle for rotation on the front, and a second pencil acts as the elevation/angle control by being placed through the series of four holes, going from 0 to 45 degrees (or so).

post-21068-0-98606300-1520897012.jpg

post-21068-0-60898400-1520897007.jpg

post-21068-0-81590500-1520897440_thumb.jpg

post-21068-0-12322400-1520898858_thumb.jpg

Jeremy

Edited by jconn

Great job on the holders! Thank you for sharing.

None of us knows how long he shall live or when his time will come. But soon all that will be left of our brief lives is the pride our children feel when they speak our names.

~ Jeremy:

Regarding the trays, were the slot dimensions all identical?

In other words, did you go with a one size fits all configuration, as opposed to a few larger and a few narrower?

Tom K.

~ Jeremy:

Regarding the trays, were the slot dimensions all identical?

In other words, did you go with a one size fits all configuration, as opposed to a few larger and a few narrower?

Tom K.

Tom,

All the trays were the same size, except the last four on the right side. Those were scaled down by width by 4% to fit in the space available in the drawer. The first 8 slots were sized 0.750" wide, so that makes the last 4 slots only 0.720" wide.

It's all arbitrary, though, as you could design trays that alternate between 0.750" and 0.500", with every 3rd one only 0.333" wide... just depends on how much time you want to put into sub-dividing a linear measurements into parts.

Jeremy

I've really enjoyed reading all about this 3D printer. It sounds like a complicated piece of kit, that can make some very useful items in the hands of someone who can design them. :)

Well done you and a great job! :thumbup:

Maybe just my opinion, but why do you need 2 holes? It seems to be overdoing it.

Just keep the anchoring point to allow tilt control, the other side can be just a nice chamfered end.

If I may, let me add my revision!

post-126100-0-58601600-1520947595_thumb.jpg

PS: ink is Ancient Copper... i thought since its so similar to Leonardo Red chalk, it would be highly appropiate!

Edited by Reed_thoughts

PS: ink is Ancient Copper... i thought since its so similar to Leonardo Red chalk, it would be highly appropiate!

~ Reed_thoughts:

Please number me among those who regularly write with Diamine Ancient Copper.

It's indeed highly appropriate. I like the look of it in your sketch.

Ancient Copper has written very well in several of my Montblanc fountain pens.

I'm pleased that you also write with it.

Tom K.

A few tweaks to the Zaddick's design and idea, and I have a prototype! I removed much of the material for the frame and cradle to make printing times faster and give it a more sleek, functional look.

Sized to fit the 50ml square bottles. Dimensionally, there are some issues with hole spacing and placement, and the print quality is sub-par. I changed to a white filament and it's giving me fits finding the proper print settings, so there are extrusion errors visible and clearances for holes and pins are too tight in some places and too loose in others.

The parts - inner bottle holder/sled, outer frame, and two pins with snap-in retainers.

post-21068-0-15120700-1520964439_thumb.jpg

Assembled view, show tilt options and pin retainer placement.

post-21068-0-47572500-1520964475_thumb.jpg

post-21068-0-06467700-1520964515_thumb.jpg

Fully assembled and bottle of Montblanc Encre du Desert. Tilt set to 3rd position (most tilt but still stable).

post-21068-0-56587300-1520964398_thumb.jpg

Maximum tilt at 4th position, however, stability is iffy and center of gravity is slightly forward of front pin. Needs longer base for better stability.

post-21068-0-09070600-1520964865_thumb.jpg

Not sure how practical this design is but it was fun to envision the entire assembly, and then craft the individual parts to make it work. Definitely an inside/outside/under/above thinking scenario.

Jeremy

Edited by jconn

Hi Jeremy,

Well, you must be keen on moving forward as you went to production! :D Sorry this took so long, but i was in meetings the last 5 hours. Here is what i was thinking. A little different, and hopefully more stable with only one moving part as the shelf would not be attached. It can be made as two separate pieces. The user can then use the lip to push back until the rear shelf rod is disengaged from the slots and then repositioned and reengaged. Let me know what you think.

fpn_1520967021__pen_holder_design.jpg

Sorry I am not a designer or even that good at drawing a spec, but hopefully that gives the idea without me breaking out the popsicle sticks and foam. :D

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Edited by zaddick

Also, it is not clear in the illustration, but the rear bar should be large enough to prevent the bottle from sliding backwards. So mabe it needs to be more like a 3/4 pie so there is a little wall to prevent bottle tipping.

When I modeled my pen trays I used 20mm cutouts and then raised them slightly. It worked great for my MB 149.

I put a narrow slot on the end for converters/cartridges. The box is a $13 picture shadow box and I fit two trays into it for a total of 20 pens.

http://driften.dragonsightsoftware.com/images/PenBox-2.png