The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Eyedropper Pen Filling

eyedropper indian fountain pen

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,562 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2018 - 16:02

Blunt syringes:  Plenty of choices available on Amazon - very inexpensive.

Eyedropper - stainless steel:  Here's a different eyedropper question:

I 'm aware that metal pens are not recommended for use as eyedropper pens because of concerns that the metal will react with the ink and both corrode the pen and contaminate the ink.  This makes sense with pens made of aluminum and brass, which are quite reactive, but would a stainless steel pen be suitable for use as an eyedropper pen?

I dunno.  I use glass or plastic eyedroppers, which are pretty inexpensive, and easily washed out.

Ruth Morrisson @yahoo.com

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Sponsored Content

#22 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 16,562 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2018 - 16:12

There are multiple different sorts of stainless steel. Some start rusting the moment container of water wanders past, others will withstand the sea (especially useful on boats...).

Were you to have a pen with parts made of marine grade S/S, and you used pH neutral inks, and there were no other metals in the ink path (except for the nib, which is usually electrically isolated from the rest of the pen), then you should have no problems.

OTOH, it's going to be pretty heavy.

I ran into this a few years ago when I was looking for food-grade stainless steel wire for a project.  I went to a place that sold metal sheeting and wire and asked and they were like "No idea..."  So I went to a restaurant supply and said "Is x type of stainless steel wire safe to be used around food?"  And they didn't know either, but looked through various catalogs for me.  And the stuff I was considering turned out to be the same type of steel as what is used for steam table trays, as it happened.  So I went back to the metal sales place and said "Yes, this is what I need."  They asked "How much of it do you need?"  and I said, "About five feet...."  And they handed it to me and basically said, "Go.  Just. Go...."  :rolleyes: 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#23 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2018 - 21:49

I ran into this a few years ago when I was looking for food-grade stainless steel wire for a project.  I went to a place that sold metal sheeting and wire and asked and they were like "No idea..."  So I went to a restaurant supply and said "Is x type of stainless steel wire safe to be used around food?"  And they didn't know either, but looked through various catalogs for me.  And the stuff I was considering turned out to be the same type of steel as what is used for steam table trays, as it happened.  So I went back to the metal sales place and said "Yes, this is what I need."  They asked "How much of it do you need?"  and I said, "About five feet...."  And they handed it to me and basically said, "Go.  Just. Go...."  :rolleyes: 

Given that these guys probably deal with it by the mile...

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

#24 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 16,562 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:08

Given that these guys probably deal with it by the mile...

Yeah, that was kinda the impression I got...

#25 Ada

Ada

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:36

fpn_1521364446__img_3785.jpg

Thanks for the explanation, Noihvo. I was curious because it never occurred to me to use anything other than an eyedropper, but I don’t use cartridges and had several eyedroppers for some reason or another long before I had any eyedropper pens.
I've been on a quest to see if I could commit all Seven Deadly Sins in a single day. Finally, it dawned on me I shouldn't try for the One Day Wonder Prize for all seven in one day. It's simply out of any question as you can't commit decent sloth while busily ticking the other six off your crowded "to do" list. -- ViolinWriter

#26 Goudy

Goudy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:54

I normally fill using a long pipette. If I'm travelling with the pen I take a small eyedropper bottle full of ink, protected inside an old bakelite bottle holder in case it leaks. The holder doubles as a stand for the pen when filling.

MWCbBBC.jpg

utQ9Ep9.jpg

#27 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2018 - 16:50

I use transfer pipettes.  

http://www.lcmlab.co...pettes_s/80.htm

As do I.  The 3ml pipettes typically sold by retailers like the Goulet Pen Co. and Anderson Pens can also be used to refill Pilot cartridges (once you remove the little sealing disc) and Platinum cartridges.  It's possible that some of the really fine-tipped transfer pipettes (e.g., these or these) could refill even international cartridges.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eyedropper, indian fountain pen

Sponsored Content

|