Kwz Ink Iron-Gall Green Gold

lgsoltek

An iron-gall murky green that dries to a green brownish colour. As other KWZ inks it flows very well and writes smooth. The water resistance is as expected.

Splash

fpn_1520687140__iggg_spl.jpg

Writing sample

fpn_1520687141__iggg.jpeg

Comparison

(Definitely greener than 150 Confederation, and has a slightly grey tint compared to the others.)

fpn_1520687145__iggg_comp.jpeg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pgcauk

• ENewton

• lgsoltek

• Intensity

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the review and especially for the comparisons. I've been enjoying the non-IG version for some time now and thanks to you I'm sticking to it (these days I prefer my inks lighter).

Sailor has some specially ground nibs called "naginata togi", made for writing Chinese characters. That's the "N".

"MF" is just their weird way of calling "FM" - medium-fine.

thx

As nice as the IG KWZ inks look, I wish he made another line of higher iron gall content. I'd like more water resistance and less feathering.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

As nice as the IG KWZ inks look, I wish he made another line of higher iron gall content. I'd like more water resistance and less feathering.

I agree. they don't darken as dramatically as stuff like platinum citrus black or diamine registrar's.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 2 years later...

I have had the KWZ Golds on my wish list for a while, but a) How to choose? and b) I have a lot of accumulated murk already! This review tipped me over and "in order to qualify for free shipping" I added a bottle each of the IG Green Gold and Gold to an essential order of White Lightning from VanNess. Oh, also I finally gave in to my Sailor 1911 curiosity when I caught sight of the Epinard Ringless, yummy yummy spinach (or is that "Olive Drab"?) with a 21k Zoom nib, all for the low low cost of years of accumulated credit card points!

Inks imbibed by the spinach beauty so far:
Noodlers' El Lawrence (with a little water) - a great WWI looking ink!

Robert Oster Bronze - finally finds its form!

KWZ IG Green Gold - it's like the ink and the pen are so perfectly matched that the drabness wins the day - a little bit depressing :( Will try elsewhere!

KWZ IG Gold - woo-hoo! I had this in a Noodlers' Ebonite Konrad first but I love it! Straw gold (I love De Atramentis' Umber - my Ina Ho!) fading down to very-very-tarnished (but still not black).
Thanks for the prompt, but I'm glad I threw in a few other options with this one!

13 hours ago, pgcauk said:

I have had the KWZ Golds on my wish list for a while, but a) How to choose? and b) I have a lot of accumulated murk already! This review tipped me over and "in order to qualify for free shipping" I added a bottle each of the IG Green Gold and Gold to an essential order of White Lightning from VanNess. Oh, also I finally gave in to my Sailor 1911 curiosity when I caught sight of the Epinard Ringless, yummy yummy spinach (or is that "Olive Drab"?) with a 21k Zoom nib, all for the low low cost of years of accumulated credit card points!

Inks imbibed by the spinach beauty so far:
Noodlers' El Lawrence (with a little water) - a great WWI looking ink!

Robert Oster Bronze - finally finds its form!

KWZ IG Green Gold - it's like the ink and the pen are so perfectly matched that the drabness wins the day - a little bit depressing :( Will try elsewhere!

KWZ IG Gold - woo-hoo! I had this in a Noodlers' Ebonite Konrad first but I love it! Straw gold (I love De Atramentis' Umber - my Ina Ho!) fading down to very-very-tarnished (but still not black).
Thanks for the prompt, but I'm glad I threw in a few other options with this one!

Your joy is uplifting.  Will you be posting an image?

Hi ENewton!

Well it all just looks like variations on pond slime, but obviously that is something I enjoy! Other colors pop in relation to a drab background.

The Zoom nib is not as versatile as a Fude, but it is the broadest thing I have bar those (twice as broad as a Lamy B!), and super smooth and wet - yummy!

However, off topic completely but knowing ENewtons penchant for purple, I made absolutely sure I was qualified for free shipping by throwing in a pouch of LArtisan Pastellier Cassis. Wasn't expecting much but it turns out to be quite a charmer and very true to its name, a "blackcurrant" that doesn't really show its frutiness until you squish it (or spill water). Quite distinct and worth its $8 for sure!

The interesting thing is that my KWZ IG Green Gold is not that gray-brown as the OP photographs indicate.  Mine is extremely similar but a touch more vibrant than Graf von Faber-Castell Olive Green.  I have and used extensively both of those inks, with extra fine nibs and broad nibs.  Even their water resistance is quite similar.  If one dilutes IG Green Gold very slightly, there'll be trouble to tell the two apart.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Here you are ENewton! Bit of a Frankenstein job but I think that's KWZ IG Gold, Green Gold and Noodler's El Lawrence as the big guys, top is El Lawrence in a sandwich with R&K Sepia and De Atramentis' Maron. Didn't have a good piccie of the Oster Bronze, which is a shame as that worked well, I'm just enjoying the waterproof aspect at the moment.

Epinard Inks.jpg

Intensity, I love G-Von-FC Olive, but I only have cartridges so limited pens. Any chance of a side by side with the IG Green Gold?

4 hours ago, pgcauk said:

Hi ENewton!

Well it all just looks like variations on pond slime, but obviously that is something I enjoy! Other colors pop in relation to a drab background.

The Zoom nib is not as versatile as a Fude, but it is the broadest thing I have bar those (twice as broad as a Lamy B!), and super smooth and wet - yummy!

However, off topic completely but knowing ENewtons penchant for purple, I made absolutely sure I was qualified for free shipping by throwing in a pouch of LArtisan Pastellier Cassis. Wasn't expecting much but it turns out to be quite a charmer and very true to its name, a "blackcurrant" that doesn't really show its frutiness until you squish it (or spill water). Quite distinct and worth its $8 for sure!

Thank you!  As you know, I am as drawn to the purple grays as you are to the murky greens.

Sure!

On Fabriano Bioprima paper:  (all well aged, multiple months to a year or older writing):

IMG_20210228_0001.thumb.jpg.63f33bf27656fe6d8b90b5b1daac1905.jpg

On Nakabayashi Logical Prime paper

IMG_20210228_0002.thumb.jpg.ae8c303e3ee4315e7b2d2f58f24ed9c9.jpg

IMG_20210228_0003.thumb.jpg.8d137a2ef4a423dfa71b332b446b80f0.jpg

IMG_20210228_0004.thumb.jpg.86fc1e5306dd70598203ca4189e8aa55.jpg

On Tomoe River 52g white paper:

KWZ IG Green Gold:

IMG_20210228_0006.thumb.jpg.7d38575ff29b3826886f4b1314ab6079.jpg

IMG_20210228_0007.thumb.jpg.d7a974ac54d3a79692549d5c6e5dc5b5.jpg

GvFC Olive Green:

IMG_20210228_0009.jpg.1cdf88913bb7dcb93f309fef6ba75409.jpg

IMG_20210228_0008.jpg.fbe048520b482f29af7030e8541ab113.jpg

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

5 hours ago, Intensity said:

The interesting thing is that my KWZ IG Green Gold is not that gray-brown as the OP photographs indicate.  Mine is extremely similar but a touch more vibrant than Graf von Faber-Castell Olive Green.  I have and used extensively both of those inks, with extra fine nibs and broad nibs.  Even their water resistance is quite similar.  If one dilutes IG Green Gold very slightly, there'll be trouble to tell the two apart.

This is quite probable. I remember my bottle became more grey brown sometime after my review and lost the green tint to it after a very hot summer. Mrs KWZI told me my bottle could be from a very early defective batch, where the green dye in it was unstable in the heat, so there’s only the grey brown iron-gall component left.

Thank you Intensity, some lovely work and very helpful comparisons.

The logical case is that having recently purchased the IG Green Gold, there is no argument for an additional purchase of the G Von F C Olive that you make look so appealing?

Wanting and logic are not always easy companions!

Oh, and that Papier Plume Moss looks rather nice  too!

Yes, I think you can skip GvFC Olive Green, unless you want a Very slightly less vibrant (more grayed) look.  It’s very hard, if not impossible, to tell the two apart in person with finer nibs or for drawing.  I have and use both; they are my default olive greens.  But I keep wondering if I need both and which one I prefer.  I think I give the edge to IG Green Gall for its hue.

I was disappointed with Papier Plume Moss Green: it’s very watery and pale.  Needs a really juicy pen to look good.

13 hours ago, ENewton said:

Thank you!  As you know, I am as drawn to the purple grays as you are to the murky greens.

I received Callifolio Cassis about a month ago and it quickly became one of my favorite inks. For my tastes it the best purple grey I've seen and hard for me to think it could be topped. It's a little bit dry, which I prefer, and looks great with the dry pens I have it in right now, a Parker 45 with a fine steel nib and a Pilot 78G with a B nib (which is actually a ~1.0mm stub or italic). The pictures in namrehsnoom's review are a pretty good match to mine - mine looks slightly more grey, his slightly more purple. If you like purple greys I suggest giving it a try.

(Sorry about going off topic!)

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

6 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

I received Callifolio Cassis about a month ago and it quickly became one of my favorite inks. For my tastes it the best purple grey I've seen and hard for me to think it could be topped. It's a little bit dry, which I prefer, and looks great with the dry pens I have it in right now, a Parker 45 with a fine steel nib and a Pilot 78G with a B nib (which is actually a ~1.0mm stub or italic). The pictures in namrehsnoom's review are a pretty good match to mine - mine looks slightly more grey, his slightly more purple. If you like purple greys I suggest giving it a try.

(Sorry about going off topic!)

Thank you.

ENewton,
I don't think it's an either/or but the combination that delights me!
This is from one of my sixth grade students, combining G-Von-F-C Olive and Scabiosa - my definition of good taste!:

05 Ella.jpg

- and from me, same Violet but this time it's Diamine Classic Green and Akkerman Steen Rood

Pentagon C0001 Fbook.jpg