Salutation!

weeviljing

Hello everyone! I'm new to using and collecting fountain pens. I'm in a profession that uses mostly keyboards, mice, styli and Wacom tablets every day. So if I get to write with a pen at all, it would be for quick sketches and storyboards. And those are technical pens. But I realized I've immersed myself too much in technology that I miss the tactile feeling of just using a simple yet fine writing instrument in my hand. There's a lot to be said in the very act of putting fountain pen unto paper - the smoothness of the nib, the ink flow, the texture of the paper, the strokes that manifest themselves as your own handwriting. So now, I'm making an effort to write/draw/doodle with fountain pens as much as I can. With this journey started, I'm pleased to say that I'm finally able to use my grandfather's Parker 51 Vacumatic (which has been sitting in my drawer, forgotten and unused) along with some lovely modern FPs I've bought for myself (so far...hahaha). Thank you in advance for the welcome. I'm looking forward to pouring over this site's many helpful information and connecting with other fountain pen users. :)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• weeviljing

• jar

• vaselinepen

• omarcenaro

Hello and welcome from Indiana!

Please visit my store A&D Penworx.

Brands we carry: Benu Pen, Conklin, Kaweco, Monteverde, TWSBI - Diamine, J Herbin, KWZ- Clairefontaine, Field Notes, Rhodia, Whitelines

Hello and welcome from Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Enjoy your time here

Thank you for the welcome. I will.

Welcome! You will find lots of great information here and many suggestions to expand your collection.

Cheers,

Ozzy

None of us knows how long he shall live or when his time will come. But soon all that will be left of our brief lives is the pride our children feel when they speak our names.

Welcome! You will find lots of great information here and many suggestions to expand your collection.

Cheers,

Ozzy

Thank you. I'm finding a lot of helpful info (as well as 'enabling' er, encouraging ones! :lol: ). Here's to hoping I don't go broke. :happy:

Greetings from Pittsburgh! :W2FPN:

You're very lucky to have such a nice heirloom. I wish I still had what in retrospect was probably a pen/pencil combo that had been my grandfather's -- but of course it was lost years ago (I remember trying to use the lever to load the pencil leads because I didn't know any better).

I generally recommend that new people click on the "View New Content" button at the top of the screen when they log in, to get a good overview of a range of topics (the main page will have a way to control how much/often you get in the sidebar). Don't do what I didn't when I started here -- which was to read the Parker Forum. In its entirety.... All 175 PAGES of threads.... :wallbash: (It's bigger now.) Also, have a look at the pinned index to the Ink Reviews Forum.

So besides your grandfather's 51, what other pens have you acquired? Oh, and I should warn you that we are all shameless enablers here -- that 51 Vac will need friends sooner or later :rolleyes: (I should know -- six years ago I had never heard of Parker 51s and now I have six Aerometric models and three 51 Vacs...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Hello and a warm welcome to you :)

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Greetings from Pittsburgh! :W2FPN:

You're very lucky to have such a nice heirloom. I wish I still had what in retrospect was probably a pen/pencil combo that had been my grandfather's -- but of course it was lost years ago (I remember trying to use the lever to load the pencil leads because I didn't know any better).

I generally recommend that new people click on the "View New Content" button at the top of the screen when they log in, to get a good overview of a range of topics (the main page will have a way to control how much/often you get in the sidebar). Don't do what I didn't when I started here -- which was to read the Parker Forum. In its entirety.... All 175 PAGES of threads.... :wallbash: (It's bigger now.) Also, have a look at the pinned index to the Ink Reviews Forum.

So besides your grandfather's 51, what other pens have you acquired? Oh, and I should warn you that we are all shameless enablers here -- that 51 Vac will need friends sooner or later :rolleyes: (I should know -- six years ago I had never heard of Parker 51s and now I have six Aerometric models and three 51 Vacs...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Thank you so much for the tips. I will keep them in mind especially when I'm doing research on fountain pen related things. I'd like to read various info that would help me in my buying and collecting decisions as well as troubleshooting problems I would encounter with the use and care of my pens. I'm also going to look at the Ink reviews. I feel I have to educate myself about them in terms of performance and quality. I'm trying, really trying, not to give in to the temptation of buying inks solely by their names. :rolleyes:

Hello, Montblanc William Shakespeare and Antoine de Saint-Exupery inks. :D Sorry to hear you lost your grandfather's pen. I was lucky to have been given the Parker 51 when he was still alive and he specifically told me to have it serviced first before I use it. "This isn't your regular ballpoint pens. It's an old pen, older than you, so you have to have it cleaned and serviced so it would last longer than I would. Remember that!" Perhaps, that's why I dragged my feet using it since in my young mind, it was too much work! :lol: Silly me. But now, I use it regularly and it's part of my EDC. At the moment, I have two other vintage pens - a copper Esterbrook fountain pen, an unbranded marble-like ebonite piston pen and a customized Parker 45. I'm starting slow and low-end on my modern FPs and got a Pilot Metropolitan, Platinum Plaisir, Wing Sun 650 and Jinhao x750. Thanks again for the info, I appreciate it. :)

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego.

Hello pen user in San Diego...thank you for welcoming me in this little corner...from a pen user in San Francisco. :)

Greetings and welcome to FPN from a pen, paper and ink lover in Islamabad, Pakistan. Hope you enjoy your time here with us.

Khan M. Ilyas

Greetings and welcome to FPN from a pen, paper and ink lover in Islamabad, Pakistan. Hope you enjoy your time here with us.

I will. Thank you for the warm welcome. :)