Penbbs 308 Owners - Can You Swap In A Standard #6 Jowo Nib?

Betweenthelines

Here's my dilemma - I recently bought a Penbbs 308 with the intention of purchasing and swapping in a #6 JoWo custom ground nib from Fpnibs.com, however I am getting conflicting reports about whether this nib will actually fit in the pen. One user has reported that the #6 Goulet nibs will NOT fit as the tip will hit the metal ring inside the cap and mangle the nib. Other users have reported that Hero #6 and Nemosine #6 nibs will fit. This is for the 308 only - the other models have no issues.

For those of you who own the 308, could you try to clear this up for me by seeing if you can swap in a standard #6 JoWo nib and putting the cap on fully? Ideally I could resolve this before buying nibs from FPnibs. Thanks!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Betweenthelines

• truthpil

• WJM

• crosshatch

The Goulet nib is a tiny bit longer at the tip than the PenBBS nib, and there is not much clearance at the end of the cap, so yes, it will bump it. It's a matter of about 2mm. You might be able to get around this by grinding 2mm off the end of the Goulet nib so it can be seated further down, but that could also cause issues with the alignment with the feed or it might not work at all due to the way the nib spreads.

Edited by DasKaltblut

Oh wait...another solution would be to stub the replacement nib. That might be enough to get the clearance at the end of the cap.

The Goulet nib is a tiny bit longer at the tip than the PenBBS nib, and there is not much clearance at the end of the cap, so yes, it will bump it. It's a matter of about 2mm. You might be able to get around this by grinding 2mm off the end of the Goulet nib so it can be seated further down, but that could also cause issues with the alignment with the feed or it might not work at all due to the way the nib spreads.

Thanks for the response - but I do already understand that the Goulet #6 JoWo nibs will not fit. I am asking about standard (unbranded) JoWo #6 nibs, if there's any difference. I am puzzled because others report that other brands of #6 JoWo nibs will fit. So I'm hoping someone has an unbranded standard #6 JoWo lying around to test it out.

I see, so what you are asking is if there is a difference between Jowo Goulet nibs and regular Jowo nibs in terms of length. Sorry I couldn't help.

I see, so what you are asking is if there is a difference between Jowo Goulet nibs and regular Jowo nibs in terms of length. Sorry I couldn't help.

Basically. I'm not well versed in the various interchangeable #6 nibs, and it's confusing that while the Goulet nibs don't fit, people are reporting various other brands of #6 nibs fitting.

The simple fact is no.6 just mean the feed is 6mm in dia. But every other measurmenr is open

I just talked to someone at Goulet, who reports that their #6 JoWo nibs are the exact same dimensions as unbranded ones. Bummer!! The whole reason I bought this pen was to be a #6 JoWo nib holder. Looks like it's going into the classifieds new. :(

For what it's worth, I put an EF #6 Goulet/JoWo nib in my 308, and it fits just fine. There's not much room left over, however (just eyeballing it, I want to say there's ~0.75mm clearance). So it's a situation where tipping will be the deciding factor. You miiiiight be able to get away with a F Jowo, just barely, but it seems like anything M+ would touch for sure.

edit: I'll post a pic when I get home tonight, for reference.

Edited by trustywren

Here's that <EF> #6 Goulet nib in a 308...

https://imgur.com/J521Br0

As you can see, it fits, but there's not a lot of clearance between the tip and the washer-shaped piece of metal at the end of the inner cap. I'd be surprised if you could get a JoWo <B> in there without it touching.

Edited by trustywren

I tried Lucky/Wing Sung's 35mm nib on Penbbs 267.

It is OK but tight.

However, for Penbbs 309, 35mm nib is a little long.

Penbbs's nibs are 34mm.

Would it be possible to grind off the bottom of a cheap #6 nib? I ask because a few years ago, before Kaweco released EF nibs, I took a nib from a cheap pen that fit the Kaweco fit, and remove the extra lnength. It then fit the Kaweco pen.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if an extra fine Franklin Christoph will fit in the PenBBS 308?

The FC music nib fits fine with no flow problems

Does anyone know if an extra fine Franklin Christoph will fit in the PenBBS 308?

The FC music nib fits fine with no flow problems and its a #6

Edited by Ichiro

Would it be possible to grind off the bottom of a cheap #6 nib? I ask because a few years ago, before Kaweco released EF nibs, I took a nib from a cheap pen that fit the Kaweco fit, and remove the extra lnength. It then fit the Kaweco pen.

Probably. You wouldn't need to remove much material, maybe a couple of MM at the most.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been following this thread with trepidation. I just bought quite a few Penbbs 308, 309, 323, 267 along with 4 Goulet broads, 2 stubs with the idea of replacing the Pen BBS nibs with Goulet nibs...Are you saying I won’t be able to do that? If that’s the case I’ve wasted about $250. If it is just the 308 I can absorb that problem but if it’s all the other pens I am quite upset. Would somebody advise. Thanks

I tried Lucky/Wing Sung's 35mm nib on Penbbs 267.

It is OK but tight.

However, for Penbbs 309, 35mm nib is a little long.

Penbbs's nibs are 34mm.

I am using a custom ground #6 Jowo nib from FPNibs on my penbbs 309. It fits perfectly. No issues.