• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tvradio

• Honeybadgers

• Dragonmaster Lou

• Algester

Nice! No ugliness to have to sand off (Preppy).

I may not have been much help, but I DID bump your thread up to the top.

The "Friendship Pen" looks quite neat to me. However, I couldn't find any info on it, except from this post, through a quick search.

Does anyone knows more about it?

For eyedropper fans, it looks like the Preppy Crystal is going head-to-head with Moonman M2, and beating it on price! :thumbup:

“We could be heroes/Just for one day” ― David Bowie

The "Friendship Pen" looks quite neat to me. However, I couldn't find any info on it, except from this post, through a quick search.

Does anyone knows more about it?

It's very likely just a special Pro Gear Slim, Japan only, 200 limited run for a local celebration.I think the metal section was also used previously on some Pro Gears. Tough to get if you are outside Asia.

For eyedropper fans, it looks like the Preppy Crystal is going head-to-head with Moonman M2, and beating it on price! :thumbup:

Worse plastic, arguably similar writing capability, and (in my opinion) much uglier with a real risk of cracking and no capability to switch nibs.

I'll stick with the chinese pen.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

It's very likely just a special Pro Gear Slim, Japan only, 200 limited run for a local celebration.I think the metal section was also used previously on some Pro Gears. Tough to get if you are outside Asia.

http://real.tsite.jp/daikanyama/news/2018/02/-friendship-pen.html

its exclusive to Tsutaya Bookstore in Daikanyama Tokyo

Worse plastic, arguably similar writing capability, and (in my opinion) much uglier with a real risk of cracking and no capability to switch nibs.

How do you know it's "worse plastic"?

• 2 weeks later...

I personally have no idea, however I will concede that the Moonman M2 has thicker plastic.

• 3 weeks later...

You can thank Brian Goulet and Platinum filling out product requests.

According to their online product specifications their preppys are now made of polycarbonate. You know that indistructable stuff that those indistructable reuseable water bottles are made of.

I was looking the other day too, came up empty. Japanese shops don't seem to have it in yet.

“We could be heroes/Just for one day” ― David Bowie

Acrylic vs ABS.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Both of my Jinhaos (159 and x750) have fallen apart on me within a couple of months. Unless you're buying some other cheap brand that doesn't fall apart as much, I'm kinda leaning on getting a Preppy next time I need a cheap pen.

Both of my Jinhaos (159 and x750) have fallen apart on me within a couple of months. Unless you're buying some other cheap brand that doesn't fall apart as much, I'm kinda leaning on getting a Preppy next time I need a cheap pen.

You're really leaning on the wrong angle there. That's like saying you'll never buy an Aurora because your visconti's nib was terrible or that becuase your preppy cracked (which they do. A lot. They're well known for it, though not as bad as the jinhao 992/monteverde monza) you'll never buy a pilot custom 823 because it's also japanese and plastic. Assuming that all pens coming from china follow the same level of quality and that they're all made in the same factory is pretty bad stereotyping.

These are not even remotely similar products. Jinhao was one of the first popular cheap pens, yes, but china has a lot of different factories and the quality has gone up dramatically. I'd put the wing sung 698 or 601 vacumatic up against any western pen under $50. And chinese acrylic pens have been around for a couple years now and have ZERO reports of cracking.

Edited by Honeybadgers

You're really leaning on the wrong angle there. That's like saying you'll never buy an Aurora because your visconti's nib was terrible or that becuase your preppy cracked (which they do. A lot. They're well known for it, though not as bad as the jinhao 992/monteverde monza) you'll never buy a pilot custom 823 because it's also japanese and plastic. Assuming that all pens coming from china follow the same level of quality and that they're all made in the same factory is pretty bad stereotyping.

These are not even remotely similar products. Jinhao was one of the first popular cheap pens, yes, but china has a lot of different factories and the quality has gone up dramatically. I'd put the wing sung 698 or 601 vacumatic up against any western pen under $50. And chinese acrylic pens have been around for a couple years now and have ZERO reports of cracking.

Fair enough. I should have stated that I'm comparing within the same sub-$10 or so price range. I should hope that a $20 Chinese pen, for example, would be better than a $4 one.

I'm not ruling out buying a Wing Sung 698 ($23 on Amazon via a quick search) just because I've had bad experiences with the Jinhaos I've owned, both of which were under $10.

Also, I didn't realize you were apparently comparing the Preppy with the Moonman M2 (also about $20 or so) as an eyedropper pen. Frankly, I'm not sure as that's a fair comparison either as the Moonman is more expensive than the Preppy, despite being a Chinese pen.