Obb For Beginner?

surferc

Hi all, this is my first post here. I'm a rookie in this world of Fountain pens. I recently purchased a Platinum LeGrand (146?) with a M nib. I'm planning to take advantage of the Nib Exchange program and get a different nib. I'm interested in getting nib with greater line variation. This pen will be used for mostly letters/cards instead of every day use. From the Nib selection in MB's site, I am leaning towards a OBB nib. I love the line variation. However, people caution me that the OBB maybe too thick/felt like and suggested a OM nib for me. Or should I stay away from the oblique nibs? Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• Tom Kellie

• surferc

• AL01

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

An OB or OBB will give you maximum line variation on the diagonal strokes where a B or BB will have max variation on the vertical and horizontal strokes when writing. So it is a matter of preference on the direction of variation. I use oblique nibs all the time. I would not waste my time with an OM personally. Go OBB and if it b is too wide or not enough variation, invest a few more bucks in a custom grind to narrow the width or increase variation.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Try before you buy.

I love oblique nibs but there are experienced fountain pen users who dont get along with them at all. Ultimately, it is a matter of individual preference.

Are you close to a Montblanc Boutique? One that is well equipped would let you try their oblique nibs. They are not difficult to handle.

Edited by meiers

Thanks Zaddick and meiers. Unfortunately, I'm not close to a Montblanc Boutique. The MB dealers here don't have any oblique nibs to try.

You have committed to a first tier pen. The nibs will perform just as zaddick described.

Getting an oblique nib early in your fountain pen career might help you learn the versatility to use many different nibs. Hopefully you will learn to find and adapt to different sweet spots on different nibs. If you also are able to learn to choke up or choke down on pens depending on their balance you'll be able to comfortably use a wider variety of pens.

Welcome to FPN,

gary

Try before you buy.

I love oblique nibs but there are experienced fountain pen users who dont get along with them at all. Ultimately, it is a matter of individual preference.

Are you close to a Montblanc Boutique? One that is well equipped would let you try their oblique nibs. They are not difficult to handle.

I go with the above. Bit of an aquired taste, I am a lover of all things oblique but another local fountain pen buyer & user is not. Definite 'try before you buy' item if you possibly can.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

OB might be a good compromise for a daily writer.

I'd suggest perusing the FPN classifieds or eBay for a vintage oblique-nibbed German postwar pen.

Pelikans (e.g. 140, 400NN) and MBs (342, 22, Monte Rosa etc.) will start around $100-150, less-known brands like Geha and Kaweco for less.

This will provide some self-education about what is possible as far as the writing experience. If not to your taste or if you want a more prestigious model, the starter pen could be sold at little loss.

Dive in. Lord knows there’s a resale market here on the board. I let all the piddling nib people talk me out of going wide for years when I could have been having fun.

Go OBB and PLAY. It takes actually using one for at least a week to discover all the things one can do and develop the muscle memory for how the nib likes to naturally fall on the page.

I started life using medium nibbed pens. Eventually i got to stubs... then Ghost and Tom encouraged me to try obliques, now there is no going back!

Still, writing with obliques is amazing fun! but it can have a learning curve... I now appreciate the nibs more so than before...

It took me a while to learn what i liked... And as Ghost in telling you, it may take a week of use to learn to love and write with the pen.

I use my 146 OBB all of the time. I just tilt the nib depending on the type of writing I'm doing.

I have an OM which is great for daily writing with just a tiny bit of variation which satisfies me. I also have an OB which has more defined variation but can still be a daily writer. The OBB will be great fun to use, but you wil have to be careful on your choice of paper (or cards) as it will likely be wet.

I also have B and BB, they are still fun but as Zaddick mentioned above, the variation is different. The only user difference between OBB and BB is that the Obliques are less forgiving regarding writing angle, you have to find the sweet spot. But, with a tiny bit of patience it will be so worth the effort.

Ghost Plane : " I let all the piddling nib people talk me out of going wide for years when I could have been having fun "

I know its childish but did anyone else find that slightly amusing ? :rolleyes:

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Although it’s not a MB or Pelikan, Mr Pen, a UK based company, sells Italix pens at reasonable prices,and these are available with Oblique nibs in various sizes, and specialty double and treble B oblique nibs for some of his pens. I believe the nibs are made in UK and hand ground, and many of them are interchangeable, so you can have one pen with several nibs. Mr Pens has an excellent reputation for service, particularly with nibs, and has had very good reviews on FPN for his pens, nibs and service. I suggest you look at posts on FPN regarding Mr Pen and Italix pens/ nibs. I have no affiliation, just a very satisfied customer. He is very responsive to emails as regards questions about exactly what you want, and I’d recommend doing this if you are looking for a particular nib.This may be a less expensive alternative if you don’t have the opportunity to try out an oblique at a shop or club meeting.

Hi all, this is my first post here. I'm a rookie in this world of Fountain pens. I recently purchased a Platinum LeGrand (146?) with a M nib. I'm planning to take advantage of the Nib Exchange program and get a different nib. I'm interested in getting nib with greater line variation. This pen will be used for mostly letters/cards instead of every day use. From the Nib selection in MB's site, I am leaning towards a OBB nib. I love the line variation. However, people caution me that the OBB maybe too thick/felt like and suggested a OM nib for me. Or should I stay away from the oblique nibs? Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

If you write real big, then go ahead.

I own a Pelikan with an OF, (on my profile pic), and it has a TON of line variation.

When you physically have the pen, you will find ways to write with it so that the nib can virtually write on anything in any situation.

And a OBB/OB will lay down more ink than an OM.

MB nibs are killer nibs!

Whatever nib you choose, it will be the write one for you.

(Pun intended. :P )

If you write cursive under a right side angle, obliques are great. Id personally start off with an OB just to be on the safe side, but I love broad nibs, so I wouldnt mind even an OBBB. Especially paired with the amazing Montblanc inks.

I own a Pelikan with an OF, (on my profile pic), and it has a TON of line variation.

~ AL01:

Thanks so much for calling attention to your Pelikan 140 OF.

Yours truly has a Pelikan 140 M with very nice line variation.

Last month I acquired a Pelikan 400 OF which is a super-pen.

Yes, Montblanc nibs are superb...as are vintage Pelikan nibs.

Tom K.

I had a similar dilemma a few weeks ago . My solution was to buy a Lamy and a few different nibs to play with before committing to a nib change . This approach worked for me . The other option could be get a BB and get a nibmesiter to grind to your exact preference . Which ever size you choose enjoy your new pen .

~ AL01:

Thanks so much for calling attention to your Pelikan 140 OF.

Yours truly has a Pelikan 140 M with very nice line variation.

Last month I acquired a Pelikan 400 OF which is a super-pen.

Yes, Montblanc nibs are superb...as are vintage Pelikan nibs.

Tom K.

Oh yeah!!

But I think vintage MBs' are probably more durable than vintage Pelikans...

146s and 149s don't come in Obliques??

(What were ya trying to say on the first line?)