Ink Suggestions?

Rosendust2121

Hey all, so I've been using Pilot Iroshizuku (Yama-Budo & Beauty Berry are my top favorites) but I'm wanting ink suggestions, like for brands like Noodler's(they don't have to be this brand, you can mention any brands, of course)! (Things to note: I'm a lefty and I didn't like the feathering of BB.)

Any help is welcomed,

Rosendust

Edited by Rosendust2121

<i>Many boys will bring you flowers. But someday you'll meet a boy who will learn your favourite flower, your favourite song, your favourite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart-Leigh Bardugo

. Please assume no affiliation, as I'm just a pleased customer. IG: Lenses and pens_

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Torrilin

• Rosendust2121

• displacermoose

• Chrissy

That's rather broad. What colors are you after? Since you like Pilot you might want to look at Sailor. They are high quality (although very expensive after their recent price hike) and come in hundreds of colors.

Yet another Sarah.

That's rather broad. What colors are you after? Since you like Pilot you might want to look at Sailor. They are high quality (although very expensive after their recent price hike) and come in hundreds of colors.

Well, I'm looking for a good green and a light pink and a darker blue because Asa-Gao is too light for my tastes sometimes. I'm also looking for something to make note taking less boring, if that makes sense!

Edited by Rosendust2121

<i>Many boys will bring you flowers. But someday you'll meet a boy who will learn your favourite flower, your favourite song, your favourite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart-Leigh Bardugo

. Please assume no affiliation, as I'm just a pleased customer. IG: Lenses and pens_

Green is hard. Are you looking for readable, pretty, blue toned, yellow toned, murky or pure?

For readable, Platinum Leaf Green might work. Pretty, not sure. Depends so much on your taste. For yellowy green, I’ve tried both J Herbin Vert Olive and Rohrer and Klingner Alt Goldgrun. The dry time is ok on both for my lefty taste. I don’t have a blue green option that is bluer than the Platinum, but that’s already too blue to be useful for much drawing.

Pink is incredibly hard because a lot of red dyes have dry time issues and a lot of pink formulas are too pale to be readable. So most pink ink ends up being very Barbie hot pink or Elsa Schiaparelli. If you’re the sort of person who reads magenta as pink, you will have more options.

If you like dark blue best, take a look at various blue black inks. Mostly these days it means a dark blue, tho a few makers still do old school iron gall formulas. Pilot Blue Black is cheap and lefty friendly and very classic as blue black goes. And by cheap I mean 350mL for under $25. But there’s scads of others. Iroshizuko has a blue black too, Shin Kai, but try the cheap one first.

If you’ve never tried purple ink, I recommend it. J Herbin Violette Penseé is a good one, but there’s probably other good choices.

Also, check reviews. A lot of reviews mention dry time. By itself, not useful because paper varies. But a good reviewer will tell you the paper they used, and the pen. And as you get experience with your pens and paper you can benchmark what you can expect with your stuff. It’s a huge boon for saving money as a lefty.

When I post my ink reviews on here, I always add tags into the tag cloud stating ink colour such as: "green ink" "pink ink" etc. I'm sure other ink reviewers do the same.

So if you type these into the search box, reviews for those colour inks should come up, and you will have a good choice to pick from.

The search box is up near the top of your screen on the right hand side. Use quotes like "green ink" and Ink Reviews as the forum, to make the search specific. :)

Torrilin and Chrissy both make great suggestions.

I'm not into pink, I can't be much help there. I like my greens really murky. Sailor Rikyucha is my favorite with Alt-goldgrun getting honorable mention.

I'm a big fan of both Sailor Sei-Boku and Pilot Blue Black for dark blues. Sei-boku is my preference as far as color goes, but both are very well behaved.

I take notes in all sorts of colors especially brown, burgundy, and purple. My criteria for notes are that ink must not clog, bleed, or feather; must be dark enough to be readable; and must be interesting enough to make enjoy putting marks on the page. Because there are so many different inks you might want to think about what is important to you apart from color.

There are a bunch of threads marked TOD that are sorted into different colors. I suggest you look through those to get some ideas about specifics and then go to the ink reviews.

Yet another Sarah.

I often find inks to try by looking for something else. Different color, pen reviews, paint reviews, looking at someone else’s drawing...

Courtesy of my wandering, if you ask the ink comparison forum about Diamine Scarlet, you get loads of pink ink comparisons. And you get a second search term, Levenger Pinkly. (I was actually looking for a comparison of Scarlet to Diamine Claret, which I found)

Hi

It might be worth looking at KWZ, I have a selection of their inks and what I have used so far I have been very pleased with; they have a good range of colours both standard and IG varieties - Herbin also have some nice inks, I've used several and they have fixed pens that ran dry with the same colour in a different brand.

Al

For pink, I recommend J.Herbin Bouquet d'antan, it's more a soft pale rosy pink, but still legible depending on which pen you use. A little more saturated, but still light would be Seitz Kreuznach Flamingo Pink. Since you specifically asked for Noodler's, Shah's Rose which is more a highly saturated, darker pink that can also be diluted well for lighter tones.

As for greens, I could probably go on for days haha. Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrun is a lighter green that's a nice break from the usual dark inks. For a nice blue-leaning, more emerald green, go for Rohrer & Klingner Smaragdrun. For a dark, leafy, yellowy-green, Sailor Jentle Tokiwa-matsu. For an even green, Diamine Sherwood Green or Noodler's Green Marine.

Another thing I suggest is look at inks that aren't your usual colors. I've always been heavy on green and off black inks, but recently I started looking more into grey and I have fallen in love with several. Plus it makes note taking and long-term writing fun when you can switch to an ink that contrasts with everything else in your collection!

Step 1: Go to Anderson's or Goulet and look at their on-line samples.

Step 2: Order a few sample vials of what looks interesting

Step:3 Order a full bottle or two of what you liked best

Step 4: Just for fun, order a few more

Step 5: Join the rest of us with a bookshelf full of inks that will take at least 83 years to use up

Go to the links to the colors in my signature below. Once you find a color (or ten) that you like, go check out the reviews of the ink.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thanks all! I've got tons of sample vials, so I've pretty much filled my pen care box with them, lol!

I’m (slowly) working my way through mine. Two different candy tins worth.

Basically, if you love color, fountain pens make a great color delivery system. Sooooooo many choices.