The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

Any Ink Recommendations For Note Taking And Signing Docs?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 PanDeBer

PanDeBer

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:26

I am a student who also works in the legal field. So I need an ink that is good for taking notes. It also needs to be suitable for any legal documents I sign.  I am looking for any recommendation of inks with the following specifications:

Color - Blue/Turquoise (I'll grant some latitude with what reasonably constitutes blue) 

Permanent/Bulletproof or some kind of Water Resistance

Won't dry the nib when pen is uncapped for a few minutes

Well behaved on cheap copy paper

The inks I currently have are:

Noodler's Liberty Elysium,

Pilot Iroshizuku Kon Peki

Diamine Majestic Blue 

The closer it is to a nice dark blue like Liberty Elysium or Majestic Blue, the better. 

Edited by Erggg, 09 March 2018 - 03:33.

Sponsored Content

#2 displacermoose

displacermoose

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:45

Sailor Sei-Boku. A lovely green leaning blue black that is stunning well behaved on horrible paper and waterproof.

The other one that immediately springs to mind is Pilot Blue Black. The color is not so interesting, but it is highly water resistant and writes nicely on pretty much anything. It is also inexpensive if that is an issue for you. These are my go to blues for work (I work in tax law).

Yet another Sarah.

#3 LizEF

LizEF

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:55

I'll second displacermoose's recommendations!  Both great inks.  I have no idea about drying on the nib, though, as I haven't explicitly tested that.  What I can say is that it will depend in part on how dry the climate (which includes heating and AC) is where you are, and how exposed the nib is, and the pen itself (some pens just seem to dry ink faster).

Sei Boku in my push-cap Pilot Stargazer worked particularly well in my arid environment - I was surprised at how well.  Whether that indicates it'll work well in your environment, I don't know, but that should make it a strong contender.

I'd strongly recommend ink samples first, so you can determine what works best for you in your pen and environment.

#4 UDog

UDog

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 875 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:09

Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher is a good darker blue for notes.

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

#5 PanDeBer

PanDeBer

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:28

Thanks for all of the recommendations.  I'm going to order samples of all the recommended inks.  I'm excited to experiment with some ink/pen combinations to see what works best.

#6 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,959 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:46

Don't forget Koh-i-noor Document blue. Document certified to ISO standard, a nice, well behaved blue, a pleasant dark royal blue colour and cheap as chips. $5 for a 50ml bottle, postage included.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

#7 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:46

Sailor Sei-Boku... well behaved on horrible paper and waterproof.

And lightfast.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

#8 PanDeBer

PanDeBer

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 15:54

Don't forget Koh-i-noor Document blue. Document certified to ISO standard, a nice, well behaved blue, a pleasant dark royal blue colour and cheap as chips. $5 for a 50ml bottle, postage included.

I never heard of that ink. When I look around my typical retailers, I can't seem to find it.

#9 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• 6,959 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 21:20

I never heard of that ink. When I look around my typical retailers, I can't seem to find it.

I get mine on eBay --

https://www.ebay.com...53.m1438.l2649

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

#10 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• 8,017 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:24

Pelikan 4001 Blue Black. Great ink, but a bit dry. But that makes it good on crappy paper.

Diamine Blue Black is wetter, but not bad on that same paper. Not as water resistant though.

Blackstone Barrier Reef Blue or Sydney Harbour Blue. Not water resistant to my knowledge, but more interesting.

Iroshizuku Kon Peki, more of a turquoise type color though. Diamine Steel Blue is a bit greener.

Markup inks: Noodler's Apache Sunset or Diamine Classic Red. Robert Oster Astorquiza Rot or Levenger Amethyst would be good for that too.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#11 PanDeBer

PanDeBer

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2018 - 20:04

I get mine on eBay --

https://www.ebay.com...53.m1438.l2649

Neat, I'll try that ink too. Thanks.

#12 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,295 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:41

Sei Boku! Sei Boku! Sei Boku!

Seriously, Sei Boku.

If I ever find myself in a situation where I can only use one ink for the rest of my life it would be this one. It's my EDC and I keep a pen inked with it at home for writing checks, addresses, anything important, as well as taking notes on crappy paper. It never, ever fails. Ever.

#13 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,700 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:21

Diamine Oxford Blue. Dark blue. Can be scrubbed off fingers with some work, so it's about as permanent as traditional permanent inks were, such as Sheaffer Skrip or Parker Quink about 1955. 

We ran out of space to store paper copies. The company from which I retired digitized documents and then shredded them. Kept copies in four or five different continents. So did our owner/customers, the global banks. Around 2010, the biggest company in the world demanded that their banks begin sending monthly statements by PDF rather than on paper.  

Have other legal departments moved that way?

Don't take any job that requires new clothes.

#14 dadoody

dadoody

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 21:32

Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher. 

It's a nice looking blue. It's very permanent - It was developed, because some lab guy in Stanford U was able to figure out to use lasers to wipe Bulletproof ink, so Tardiff and this guy worked together and came up with the Warden series. 

Lasers. Pew pew!

Edited by dadoody, 13 March 2018 - 21:33.

#15 bluebellrose

bluebellrose

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:35

Have you tried Platinum Pigmented Blue? Or Platinum Blue Black?

Sponsored Content

|