The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

Light Fastness

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Drawing61

Drawing61

Isle of Innisfree

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 00:58

Apologies if I've missed obvious information here or elsewhere. Is there a rating for light fastness for inks as there is for other pigments such as watercolor or acrylics? 

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

Sponsored Content

#2 Torrilin

Torrilin

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:42

Most fountain pen inks are dye based, not pigment based. There’s definitely differences in the lightfastness of different dyes, but I’m not aware of any classification system like we have for pigments. And fountain pen inks seem to primarily use acid dyes, which don’t bond well with cellulose fibers. And I know most dyes will exhibit different lightfastness behaviors before and after they react with their target, so that makes things harder.

There’s some pigment inks that do work in fountain pens! But none of them are labeled the way paints are.

#3 Corona688

Corona688

Inkfingered Crackpot

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:52

Most fountain pen inks are dye based, not pigment based.

Which these days means a few hydrogens less or more on the same molecule.

And fountain pen inks seem to primarily use acid dyes

This is a subject I'm interested in, I'd like to know more please.

Sponsored Content

|