FPN Quick Navigation
- Our New FPN 2015 LE Pen!
- - FPN Blue Pearl Celebration LE
- FPN Forums & Forum Categories
- - FPN News forum
- - The Mall forum
- - FPN World forums
- - The Marketplace Forums
- - Writing Instruments forums
- - Brand Focus forums
- - Regional Focus forums
- - Inks, Inc. forums
- - Paper, & Pen Acc. forums
- - Creative Expressions forums
- FPN Store, Donations, Accounts & Advertising
- - Store Home
- - FPN Ink Store
- - Advertise on FPN - Info
- - FPN Marketing & Advertising
- - Variable Amount Donations - Iridium, Rhodium & Platinum
- - Fixed Amount FPN Rhodium & Platinum Supporters, & FPN without Ads Donations
- - Premium (Trader/Retailer) Accounts
- - Straight PayPal Anonymous Donations
- - FPN Without Ads Donation, Annual Subscription
- - FPN Without Ads Donation, Monthly Subscription
- - The FPN Café Press Shop
- FPN Apps & Modules
- - Blogs
- - Classifieds
- - Gallery
- - Downloads
- - Home Page
- - Members
- - Pen Events Calendar
- - FPN's RSS Feeds
- - Shoutbox
- - Upload
- - Classifieds: Browsing
- - Classifieds: Creation
- - Classifieds: Questions & Answers
- - Upload: How-to
- Rules & Guidelines
- - FPN Rules, Guidelines, TOU
- - Classifieds Rules
- - Premium Accounts: Rules
- - Market Watch Rules
Pilot Custom 823 Acquisition Advice Needed (Holland)
Posted 08 March 2018 - 18:04
1) I'm seriously considering getting a Pilot Custom 823 with M nib, but no store in The Netherland seems to carry it. I did some searching but can't find a single source. In the US, Goulet carries it. And of course it can be ordered from Japan. In both cases, there are tax and warranty issues to be considered. Long story short: does anyone know of a reliable vendor in the EU who carries this pen...?
2) In this price range, is there any other pen out there that I really ought to try before I spend money on an 823? I.e. any pen that rivals the 823 in terms of construction, durability and (especially) nib quality and top-level writing experience?
Posted 08 March 2018 - 19:43
One of the best pens money can buy (in my opinion). I bought both of mine direct from Japan. Even factoring in customs duty it was very considerably cheaper than ordering from the US. It does seem difficult to get in Europe for some strange reason. La Cour. du Compte don't have it, neither do Andy's Pens, Pure Pens or the Writing Desk. Pilot Europe should honour some kind of warranty on the pen. You may be able to email them and ask.
Posted 08 March 2018 - 20:21
Posted 08 March 2018 - 20:23
1) You could also put an ad here; maybe some FPN member in the EU has one for sale (mine unfortunately has a broad nib)
2) That's a tough one: I guess there are quite a few pens in this price range you might want to consider, all depending on what you want: large ink capacity, smooth or flexible nib, etc. There are various preferences and many combinations of features that could determine what one might compare to an 823. My own reaction to such matters is probably a bad one: I just buy all the alternatives, that's why I have too many pens.
Veel succes met deze leuke dilemma's.
Posted 08 March 2018 - 21:48
I asked a UK store (which has a very good reputation) and they told me Pilot refuses to allow them to be sold in Europe - but then if you look at the old Stephen Bre Brown video on his, it was probably because previously they sold badly due to a silly high price (I think he said it cost him €600 !!!!).
Only way really is to take the hit on import duties from either the US or Japan, the latter being cheaper, else to look out for the rare one for sale in Europe, which is how I got my nearly new one (was very lucky).
Edited by dapprman, 08 March 2018 - 21:48.
Posted 08 March 2018 - 22:03
I myself wouldn't worry about warranty issues with a Pilot. Order it from someone like Pisuke2005 and in the unlikely case there is any issue with the pen, he'll make it right.
Sorry to hear your local online retailers don't carry it I thought for sure that Appelboom on Cultpens would have it but of course you are right : they don't. Weird.
Edit: they seem to be on amazon.de ... much more expensive though than US retail, especially the brown one.
Edit2: re: your second question : you are asking the wrong crowd The 823 is in a class of its own. Don't settle for less.
Edited by katerchen, 08 March 2018 - 22:06.
Posted 08 March 2018 - 22:10
Good luck with the search. I'm in the US and am buying through Japan as well... mainly because I want the black/smoke 823. Being used to the 2-day Amazon delivery for just about all my on-line purchases, this month long wait for it to get to me from Japan is killing me.
Posted 09 March 2018 - 00:46
Not sure where is best for you to get one, but the 823 is a great pen that is the match for much higher priced pens.
Posted 09 March 2018 - 07:08