What Converter Should I Get?

FPNewbie888

post-142089-0-65420800-1520505437_thumb.jpgHello Fountain Pen Network and Enthusiasts!

Greetings! This is my first post and am asking for your help.

I would like to know what Converter should I order for my Waterman Expert FP.

I believe, there is a Brass Sleeve inside the barrel of the pen.

I have tried US/International Cartridges (Kaweko, Lamy) which I can source out here in my country and even though they are the short type, they would fit the Nib (nipple) part of the FP but won't fully close with the rest of the body/barrel when twisted closed.

I've been searching out the converter online from Waterman's Website and another company's website and found that they have the same Reference Number, but with a different opening (one is ribbed and one is smooth) connecting to the nipple.

I have attached pictures of my pen and the type of temporary cartridge I'm using.

What type of Converter should I use and where can I source it out online?

Thank you very much!

FP Newbie

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FPNewbie888

• Left FPN

• Zaphodbebullbrox

• RMN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did you buy the Waterman from an authorized dealer of Waterman writing instruments?

if so i would go there, they should be able to fix you right up.

If not, i am not sure.

Most pens (i do not have a Waterman) that i have bought always came with a converter included with purchase. (except my Lamy Al-star).

Did you buy the Waterman from an authorized dealer of Waterman writing instruments?

if so i would go there, they should be able to fix you right up.

If not, i am not sure.

Most pens (i do not have a Waterman) that i have bought always came with a converter included with purchase. (except my Lamy Al-star).

Thank you for your reply.

Yes. The pen was bought eons ago from a Waterman AD but the brand and AD has long disappeared here in my country. There is no support of any kind for Waterman here in my country.

I lost the original cartridge (I believe it was long and thin) it came with and would like to use a converter instead.

I hope that someone can point me to the right direction on where to buy (online) and what type (model) of converter (hopefully the real mccoy) I should order.

Thank you again for your help.

FP Newbie

Yeah, that can be a problem, i too live where there are not too many fountain pen re-sellers anymore & i have to buy on-line.

i am sure someone who knows more can probably give you more help.

i found this one, not sure if it is the right one for your pen however.

http://www.waterman.com/en/converter/211-converter-for-fountain-pen-3034325601090.html

Yeah, that can be a problem, i too live where there are not too many fountain pen re-sellers anymore & i have to buy on-line.

i am sure someone who knows more can probably give you more help.

i found this one, not sure if it is the right one for your pen however.

http://www.waterman.com/en/converter/211-converter-for-fountain-pen-3034325601090.html

Again, thank you for your reply.

I hope more people could chime in and enlighten us.

Thank you very much!

FP Newbie

I may be totally wrong but I think that is a roller ball barrel.

From another source, I conclude the FP does have a brass liner so the Int Std Long cartridge and Waterman converter should fit.

Where did you buy the pen.

If you were to buy a converter I very much doubt you would receive the style shown in the above link. Waterman SHOULD know better than to use outdated pictures. The current Waterman converter is this style,

Force, do you own an Expert mkI? (I seem to detect an oblong nibhole in the somewhat deformed picture abobe)

Does that have the stabilising ring inside the barrel? The one that just allows the Waterman stuff to pass, but is just too narrow for the SI stuff?

I own a mkII which accepts the SI as far as I remember. Has been a while since I inked that one. But not sure about the mkI that I have never seen in the flesh.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Force, do you own an Expert mkI? (I seem to detect an oblong nibhole in the somewhat deformed picture abobe)

Does that have the stabilising ring inside the barrel? The one that just allows the Waterman stuff to pass, but is just too narrow for the SI stuff?

I own a mkII which accepts the SI as far as I remember. Has been a while since I inked that one. But not sure about the mkI that I have never seen in the flesh.

D.ick

Hi Dick, my eyes see it as a Mk 2. It has round breather hole and two tone plating. I no longer have any Experts. Still waiting for a reply from the op. It's becoming like leaky Carenes here.

Hello there!

First off, I'd like to thank all of you for your replies! Been very busy lately, however I've jumped the gun and ordered the Original Waterman Converter, I found on Amazon.

It has a smooth opening, near the nib. I just hope it fits! It will arrive within 2 weeks.

The one I ordered is similar to what Force posted above.

There is another Waterman Converter which I saw in their official website. It is the only one available from them. This is it: http://www.waterman.com/en/converter/211-converter-for-fountain-pen-3034325601090.html As you can see, it has a ribbed opening. I didn't order that, but I ordered the one Force posted above.

@ RMN, yes it has the brass, stabilizing ring inside the barrel.

Thank you again for your replies and will let you know how it goes.

FP Newbie

@ Force

Great! You've been very instrumental in this pursuit of mine. Haha!

Thanks buddy!

Also, I've tried reaching out to Waterman via email about a week ago to no avail. No real reply, just a computer generated message stating that they'll deal with my concern, soon. Outdated pictures as you mentioned and no reply from them - that's just frustrating from the customer's end.

Will let you know what happens next.

FP Newbie