The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Few Lamy 2000 Questions

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Xeros

Xeros

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 23:51

Hey guys!

This is sort of a few questions muddled up into one thread so sorry in advance!

I purchased a Lamy 2000 about 6 months ago now but I've been struggling to get it to work exactly how I want :(

So basically, these are the issues I've been having:

1. It seems to be very fussy in terms of which inks run well in it, for example when I use my fine nib (I have a fine and broad nib that I rotate for the same pen), and I use inks such as Aurora Black and Waterman Florida Blue it seems to run a very thin line and it also seems to skip a lot. However when I use Noodlers Liberty Elysium or Iroshizuku Kon-Peki it seems to run exactly how I want it. I'm not exactly sure why this is the case though, as I thought wet inks such as Aurora Black would produce a broader line (which is what I wanted)?

2. I'm not particularly a fan of my broad nib as it's to stubby for my liking, but I don't enjoy the fine either as I thought it'd be broader...this may seem like the stupidest question on earth, but would a medium nib solve both of these issues (not as stubby as the broad but also produces a fair bit thicker of a line than the fine nib)?

3. This is sort of unrelated to the Lamy 2000, but I was looking for a green ink that behaves similarly to Liberty's Elysium and Kon-Peki, would you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks so much in advance, I apologize for the long uneducated post!

Sponsored Content

#2 Calabria

Calabria

Pelikano

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 00:00

I'll try and respond to some of your questions:
1. Nib behavior is subjective and satisfaction is a very personal matter. Also, nibs can vary. Since you seem to be exchanging nibs, I assume they are in working order. Ink varies according to paper, for example my F nib writes like an ink starved EF on a Japanese pad I have, and like a wet felt tip on my more absorbent Scottish paper. Maybe adjusting your ink choice to your paper can solve your problems?
2. Lamy B nibs are stubbish while M are more round (I think that's mostly true). So changing your nib will involve more than just width.
3. Not a fan of green, so don't know.

Good luck! Enjoy your pen!
"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."
– Lin Yu-T'ang

#3 Xeros

Xeros

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 00:16

I'll try and respond to some of your questions:
1. Nib behavior is subjective and satisfaction is a very personal matter. Also, nibs can vary. Since you seem to be exchanging nibs, I assume they are in working order. Ink varies according to paper, for example my F nib writes like an ink starved EF on a Japanese pad I have, and like a wet felt tip on my more absorbent Scottish paper. Maybe adjusting your ink choice to your paper can solve your problems?
2. Lamy B nibs are stubbish while M are more round (I think that's mostly true). So changing your nib will involve more than just width.
3. Not a fan of green, so don't know.

Good luck! Enjoy your pen!

Thanks so much this helped a bit!

Sorry I forgot to mention that I only really use my fountain pen paper for it (rhodia and clairefontaine). 

If the medium is more 'roundish' than the broad then that is exactly what I'm looking for!

#4 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,621 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 00:48

Wet inks run freer in a fine or EF nib than drier inks.  I have found this true about some mediums as well.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#5 Driften

Driften

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,294 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:57

I find Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-Peki and other Iroshizuku inks run nice in the Lamy 2000's I have had. There are several greens to pick from in Pilot's Iroshizuku line of inks. I have not had one in M just F and B so don't know anything about the M 2000's. It does seem like your 2000's are running too dry. My B is also on the dry side. You might see if you can get your F adjusted for flow and that might fix your problems with it, or just run Iroshizuku inks since they produce a like you like in it.

#6 Aditkamath26

Aditkamath26

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:05

What surprises me is that the pen behaves strangely with Aurora Black. That is reputed to be on of the most wettest black inks and is a go to recommendation for dry nibs on many pen forums. According to what I have read, the Lamy 2000 medium is very much like a western broad. I recommend a trip to a nibmeister. 

#7 marlinspike

marlinspike

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:49

The green ink I run in my 2000 is Iroshizuku Shin-Ryoku

#8 minddance

minddance

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,039 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:14

Herbin Lierre Sauvage behaves perfectly in my Lamy2000 fine.

#9 jchch1950

jchch1950

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:20

Get a medium nib if you feel fine is too narrow and broad is too wide for your taste.Try the new nib before you buy it so it will be up to your expectation.

#10 fpgreeks

fpgreeks

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:19

i have a broad nib on my lamy 2000 and it performs flawlessly with any ink. i like it but i would love it if it were a little stubby like yours. LOL. I bought it because i heard that lamy 2000 broad nibs are stubby but unfortunately mine is a pure broad :huh: !

IMG_20180308_121723_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180308_122256_HDR.jpg

Edited by friedrichwild, 08 March 2018 - 10:27.

#11 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:43

When I bought my 2000 I was as in love with it as so many others on this forum but eventually sold it as certain aspects were not for me. I post, and the finish does mark rather rapidly no matter how careful you are. I still think its a masterclass in modern design though. The nibs began to irritate me after a while. I started the pointless task of nib try outs. Anything below the broad is not hugely different in the line it produces; in fact I could not tell the difference at all on paper between a medium and a fine. There is a visible difference between the medium and extra fine but it isn't terribly pronounced. Anything below a broad also seems to have a curious sweet spot that after a while I found really annoying, especially on the nibs below medium. Can't say I ever noticed any flow issues with different inks. Overall, if you change to a medium nib you may be very disappointed as it is quite a step down from the broad. If you have a brick and mortar store near you that sells them they may allow you to dip the nib to test it, which would be the best way to decide.

#12 Xeros

Xeros

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 12:59

When I bought my 2000 I was as in love with it as so many others on this forum but eventually sold it as certain aspects were not for me. I post, and the finish does mark rather rapidly no matter how careful you are. I still think its a masterclass in modern design though. The nibs began to irritate me after a while. I started the pointless task of nib try outs. Anything below the broad is not hugely different in the line it produces; in fact I could not tell the difference at all on paper between a medium and a fine. There is a visible difference between the medium and extra fine but it isn't terribly pronounced. Anything below a broad also seems to have a curious sweet spot that after a while I found really annoying, especially on the nibs below medium. Can't say I ever noticed any flow issues with different inks. Overall, if you change to a medium nib you may be very disappointed as it is quite a step down from the broad. If you have a brick and mortar store near you that sells them they may allow you to dip the nib to test it, which would be the best way to decide.

Hey Uncial, thanks for the response!

From what I've gathered today the quality control on the Lamy nibs seem to be really inconsistant. I think this is an example of that. You and others have said there is not much difference between a medium and a fine...however I also see other people saying quite the opposite. For example here, a video by Pens and tea where you can quite clearly tell the difference between medium and fine:  . Similarly I have seen other people with extra fines who say theirs write more like a medium?? 

Not sure why this would be the case, but I guess based on other responses I am going to go to my local brick and mortar shop tomorrow and see if I can try a medium for myself!!

Oh and by the way the green ink I decided on is private reserve spearmint :)

Edited by Xeros, 08 March 2018 - 12:59.

Sponsored Content

|