The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Can One Make A Feed Less "wet"?

22 replies to this topic

#1 Miles R.

Miles R.

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 21:48

Complaints about dry writers are common enough, but a pen can also be too wet, at least for my tastes. I have this problem with the Wing Sung 3008, a piston filler whose grip section, feed, and nib have a design copied from the Lamy Vista/Safari series. I have inserted below a photo from someone else's review of the pen to show what it looks like (Wing Sung on the left, Lamy on the right). It comes with an EF nib, which is too fine for my liking. I find it most comfortable to use with a Lamy M nib. But no matter which nib I use (I have also used a Lamy F), the pen lays down too much ink for my taste. All shading is lost and the line tends to feather and is much darker than it would be if one were using the same ink in another pen.

Plainly it is the feed that is the cause of the excessive ink flow, not the nib. So my question is: Is there something that one can do to make a feed less wet?

post-114545-0-16259600-1505980955.jpg

Edited by Miles R., 07 March 2018 - 21:48.

Sponsored Content

#2 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 16:16

"Simplify and add Lightness"

"Want little. Need less. Love more."

#3 Corona688

Corona688

Inkfingered Crackpot

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 17:59

Lacking a decent synopsis, I'm not sure I trust that.  The gist appears to be adjusting the distance between the tines. 

#4 Miles R.

Miles R.

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 20:01

I have not yet tried narrowing the nib slit, which may or may not reduce the flow. I would prefer to remedy the difficulty at its source, which is the feed, rather than by changing the nib or nibs that I use with the pen. They work perfectly well with my Lamy Vista, on which I would also like to continue to be able to use them.

#5 Miles R.

Miles R.

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 20:02

Actually, that suggests that one possible remedy would be to replace the feed with the feed from my Lamy Vista—though I really like having a transparent feed in the pen.

#6 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 20:26

Hey Miles. In the photo you provided the feeds look like they have different design/geometry.

Just curious. Have you tried different inks?

http://www.fountainp...-best-dry-inks/

http://www.fountainp...t-are-dry-inks/

#7 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,322 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 20:57

Lamy feed is chemically treated to make it react like an ebonite feed....and has no buffering slits...very '20's. ;) .

It may not look it but Lamy is a better feed because of the roughing treatment.

Ebonite holds ink better than regular pressed plastic with combs in it's sawn so rougher than pressed.

Lamy will be a rougher feed than the Chinese one....and there is a poster here....that worked on making Lamy feeds. Penenginer or close. Took him a long time to get that down. Copies don't waste money on doing it right.

Big extremely detailed must read blog....hopefully some one will link you.

Lamy of course designed it's ink to work on it's feeds, like all big companies who make their own inks.

You have to use a dry ink....try Pelikan 4001 inks.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 08 March 2018 - 20:58.

Everyone says poor Mozart dead at only 36. None say poor Mendelson, dead at only 38. His family only allowed him to start at 20, but before, musicians use to come to the Mendelson garden to steal the music of Mendelson and his sister. A good artist also, can still buy prints of his famous Scottish drawings in Scotland.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Pens/inks/paper on hold for a year....new addiction pocket watch chains. :happyberet:

#8 Miles R.

Miles R.

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 00:30

Hey Miles. In the photo you provided the feeds look like they have different design/geometry.

Just curious. Have you tried different inks?

http://www.fountainp...-best-dry-inks/

http://www.fountainp...t-are-dry-inks/

Somebody in that first thread mentions Noodler's Walnut, which is an ink that I have, so I will try using that one in the pen.

#9 Miles R.

Miles R.

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 00:43

Lamy feed is chemically treated to make it react like an ebonite feed....and has no buffering slits...very '20's. ;) .

It may not look it but Lamy is a better feed because of the roughing treatment.

Ebonite holds ink better than regular pressed plastic with combs in it's sawn so rougher than pressed.

Lamy will be a rougher feed than the Chinese one....and there is a poster here....that worked on making Lamy feeds. Penenginer or close. Took him a long time to get that down. Copies don't waste money on doing it right.

Big extremely detailed must read blog....hopefully some one will link you.

Lamy of course designed it's ink to work on it's feeds, like all big companies who make their own inks.

You have to use a dry ink....try Pelikan 4001 inks.

I tried replacing the original feed with the feed from my Lamy Vista. I think the fit was imperfect, as some drops of ink spilled out. But the flow was the same. It occurs to me now that I have used the ink that I am using in the Wing Sung (Monteverde Scotch Brown) in only one other pen, so I don't know it well enough to know that it is not the cause of the excessive flow. I have emptied and rinsed out the pen, and will try it with Noodler's Walnut once it has dried out.

#10 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 19,322 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:15

I have no idea which if any Noodlers ink is dry.

Pelikan 4001 is known to be a dry ink............Lamy not quite so dry....

Other inks to look at..........are shading inks, not so supersaturated, but dryer I think than Noodlers.

Herbin,

MB is an ink in the middle as is some of the Pelikan Edelstein inks....one or two might be dry....you'd have to look them up in Ink Reviews.

Everyone says poor Mozart dead at only 36. None say poor Mendelson, dead at only 38. His family only allowed him to start at 20, but before, musicians use to come to the Mendelson garden to steal the music of Mendelson and his sister. A good artist also, can still buy prints of his famous Scottish drawings in Scotland.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Pens/inks/paper on hold for a year....new addiction pocket watch chains. :happyberet:

#11 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:35

Lacking a decent synopsis, I'm not sure I trust that.  The gist appears to be adjusting the distance between the tines. 

No need to trust. Try it and see if it works. There are those who have had a positive effect using this technique. The only cost is sore fingers!

Edited by kd3, 09 March 2018 - 12:17.

#12 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:44

I have this problem with the Wing Sung 3008, a piston filler whose grip section, feed, and nib have a design copied from the Lamy Vista/Safari series.

Lamy Vista/Safari series aren't piston fillers or at least mine aren't.  :huh:

I've made nibs write drier by adjusting the difference between the tines, but accept that may not make enough difference for you.  :)

#13 Miles R.

Miles R.

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 15:04

Somebody in that first thread mentions Noodler's Walnut, which is an ink that I have, so I will try using that one in the pen.

I have refilled the pen with Noodler's Walnut. The flow is much more reasonable now. I was using Monteverde Scotch Brown without having previously used it in enough different pens to appreciate how lubricated it is.

Lamy Vista/Safari series aren't piston fillers or at least mine aren't.  :huh:

I don't see how "the Wing Sung 3008 [is] a piston filler whose grip section, feed, and nib have a design copied from the Lamy Vista/Safari series" (what I wrote) entails "the Lamy Vista/Safari series is a piston filler." The grip section of a pen does not include its ink reservoir.

#14 migo984

migo984

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,588 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 15:06

I have a Wing Sung piston filler with the Lamy Safari/Vista-style feed and nib. The model is the B698, with the locking piston knob and push on cap.

It appears that super-wet flow is a trait of these pens. Mine is an absolute gusher and the EF nib writes more like a medium/broad as a consequence. I also get ink in the cap all the time. Adjusting the tines and/or using my driest ink makes practically zero difference; the feed is just too generous.

Apart from major surgery, which is probably not worth the effort on this pen, I just go with the flow (pun intended).

Verba volant, scripta manent

#15 Miles R.

Miles R.

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 15:31

I have a Wing Sung piston filler with the Lamy Safari/Vista-style feed and nib. The model is the B698, with the locking piston knob and push on cap.

It appears that super-wet flow is a trait of these pens. Mine is an absolute gusher and the EF nib writes more like a medium/broad as a consequence. I also get ink in the cap all the time. Adjusting the tines and/or using my driest ink makes practically zero difference; the feed is just too generous.

Apart from major surgery, which is probably not worth the effort on this pen, I just go with the flow (pun intended).

:( The review that I cited mentions that the 3008 is "on the wetter side," which may be understatement, but I'm pretty sure that it is not as bad as what you describe. I also have a 698, which I have not used in a while. I stopped using it mainly because the nib was too fine for my taste, but I recall also that it was excessively wet. As I mentioned in my last post, using a dry ink seems to be an effective solution with my 3008.

Edited by Miles R., 09 March 2018 - 15:32.

#16 minddance

minddance

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 16:28

Wingsung 3008 is quite wet, a reasonable flow, I would say. You could always try some Scabiosa or Herbin Cafe des Iles or Diamine Damson or Autumn Oak or Classic Green in yours and I am sure the perceived wetness will be gone. Some inks certainly benefit from this pen.

Edited by minddance, 09 March 2018 - 16:30.

#17 DasKaltblut

DasKaltblut

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 16:41

I have inserted below a photo from someone else's review of the pen to show what it looks like (Wing Sung on the left, Lamy on the right).
post-114545-0-16259600-1505980955.jpg

Does it bother anyone else that the cardbord ring that says "remove" hasn't been removed??? :D

#18 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• 11,621 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2018 - 22:38

Does it bother anyone else that the cardbord ring that says "remove" hasn't been removed??? :D

Pen is terrible.  Dries up right away.

Seriously, the info here helped me tame a newly acquired Montblanc medium that wrote like a wet B.  Pushed tines together and used Pelikan 4001 Violet ink. 

Edited by pajaro, 10 March 2018 - 22:41.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#19 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 23:34

Groovy!

#20 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 March 2018 - 00:59

I have a pair of 3008s, and don't find either of them too wet. In fact, I had problems with one, because part of the feed slit was too narrow, and I had to open that section up to get reliable ink flow. I swapped one of them with a Lamy Safari nib, and found no real improvement so I swapped back again.

I usually adjust my nibs so that the tips of the tines just touch. That way, I get enough ink through to show shading, and the true colour of the ink. Nathan Tardif, OTOH, recommends that there should be a teensy, tiny gap in the tines all the way to the end. That will give you a richer line of ink on the page.

The feed will simply govern the maximum amount of ink that will be fed to the nib. The tine gap will control how much actually ends up on the paqe.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|