Got My First Lamy From Amazon - Scratchy Lid?

Petch

Why would they ship the pen in a separate box? I wouldn't know because I've bought all four of my Lamy fountain pens at a reputable brick-and-mortar store here in The Netherlands. But it doesn't make any sense, because putting the pen in a separate box only increases the risk of damage, I would think. The box that the Lamy 2000 comes in should be able to protect the pen during shipping.

It was still an official Lamy box. It looks like what the retailer would receive (it had the product/RRP on it), and should be put in the 'proper' box by the retailer. I guess Amazon just ship them as-is, which is a bad idea if it was packaged in one box with some heavy inks like mine was.

Edited by Petch

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Petch

• Driften

• ErrantSmudge

• pitonyak

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you look this USA product page for the Lamy 2000, it says up top "ships from and sold by Amazon" but in the Q&A section various retailers (Fahrney's, Pen Chalet, GrandLuxPens, Passion4Pens, PensAndLeather) are responding to availability queries:

https://www.amazon.com/Lamy-Fountain-Black-Medium-L01M/dp/B000G0EJBA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1520812171&sr=8-3&keywords=lamy+2000+fountain+pen&dpID=31brYPNqHsL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I don't have contacts at Lamy to get a definitive statement, but I'd bet that Amazon is not an authorized Lamy dealer - instead they are aggregating and reselling stock from authorized dealers.

Here's an article explaining how counterfeit, returned, damaged and stolen merchandise can find its way into Amazon's supply chain, even for goods marked as "sold by Amazon".

https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/4j7xma/amazons_grey_market_explained/

Edited by ErrantSmudge

Just an update after trying out the new pen for a couple hours...

This one has the same 'issue' as the first, but is actually worse. I don't think this is actually an issue at all, and whatever is causing the feeling has been worn away on the original I had (making the new one seem worse). This, together with Driften's helpful replies, leads me to believe either there's a dodgy batch or two or everyone has just worn their pens smooth and I wasn't expecting the pen to be this rough at first.

I believe Driften's pen is pretty new also, whereas everyone who's responded to the thread has probably had their 2000 for some time now.

I'm going to use the new one for a few more days to see how it compares to the original, and then send the original back (it has some very minor marks to the Makrolon from poor shipping).

Edited by Petch

Why would they ship the pen in a separate box? I wouldn't know because I've bought all four of my Lamy fountain pens at a reputable brick-and-mortar store here in The Netherlands. But it doesn't make any sense, because putting the pen in a separate box only increases the risk of damage, I would think. The box that the Lamy 2000 comes in should be able to protect the pen during shipping.

This is normal for Lamy pens.

They are supplied to retailers in the small boxes and the larger boxes are supplied separately.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

I ordered a Lamy 2000 in Fine from Amazon around the same time as the OP. It arrived today. Photos of packaging inside shipping bubble envelope follow:

fpn_1520967150__envel-img_1405.jpg

fpn_1520967177__sleeve-img_1407.jpg

fpn_1520967194__box-img_1414.jpg

fpn_1520967208__open-b-img_1415.jpg

fpn_1520967216__papers-img_1417.jpg

Everything seems perfectly in order. I flushed and inked the pen and it writes smoothly and true to nib size. I feel no grittiness when closing the pen.

The pen has a limited lifetime warranty from Universal Luxury Brands of New Jersey.

I ordered mine from Goulet Pens, I expect it to arrive this week.

At the Columbus FP User group meeting, I was offered a new stainless pen (He bought has not inked or used it) for $250. seemed like a good deal for what it is, but, I already have a non metal one ordered. It was heavy but felt good in the hand. I surely did not have money for a second pen, however. I don't remember what nib size he had, but I ordered the EF.

Waiting waiting waiting.....

I should receive it tomorrow; yippee!

All of my 2000sfive of them currentlyhave a certain grittiness to them when capping. I think its normal, and probably just the metal ears of the body sliding against the metal fingers of the clutch mechanism of the cap. Or, the textured metal of the metal above the nib sliding against the metal fingers of the cap clutch. Perhaps it is a combination of both. Either way, nothing to worry about.

I would do this, but I'm not sure of any B&M stores nearby. Even if I found one, the price would be higher than the online retails - all of which are £40 more than amazon (£120 vs £160)

There is a reason that prices are higher from a reputable dealer - They're selling a proper product. I'll always pay more to know that I am getting the product as it is supposed to come from the manufacturer. Saving a few pounds makes ZERO sense if you end up with junk.

​As an aside, it's not only with pens that I don't trust all that I see on Amazon. I see that they are selling Kodachrome S8 movie film for $35.00 plus shipping, The copy along with the product states a lot of information that was true years ago, but they make no mention that the film is way out of date, impossible to process, and insanely priced. A somewhat more honest rip-off in the film field is current 35mm film selling for $12.00 plus shipping - the same film which I regularly order out of New York from a well known retailer for half that. Yes, you can get good deals from Amazon, but around every other turn of the web page there are an awful lot of thieves waiting to take your money with a sly snicker.

Edited by Charles Rice

All of my 2000sfive of them currentlyhave a certain grittiness to them when capping.

I don't know if "grittiness" is the word for my experience, more like "scrapiness"....like metal on metal scraping against each other.

I've tried the 2000 a few times at pen shows, and this feeling with capping/uncapping made me decide this pen was Not For Me.