Hoping To Ask For Some Birthday Ink Gift Advice

glassgauze

Hey! So glad to be here!

I was forcefully dragged into the world of fountain pens when I fell in love with a cheap Jinhao I got as a random gift. My father happened to have a few nicer fountain pens to lend me, and before I knew it, I couldn't write with a ballpoint anymore.

The most annoying thing about it is that I really like inks, but I have no way to try any samples.

That means a lot of researching before I buy any. Fortunately, I've been fairly happy with all my purchases so far, and that's in part thanks to this site. It's been my first stop when I'm searching for reviews and comparisons.

So I've been looking around here for a while. Then I recently learned that, for this year's birthday, I'll get to import some inks I wouldn't usually be able to buy. I'm very excited, but having a hard time picking the colors. The brand I want is a little less well known, and it's been hard to find enough reviews.

I thought I should make a post asking for help on Inky Thoughts... which was when I realized I didn't actually have an account here yet. I decided to correct that.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• glassgauze

• Sinistral1

• OCArt

• pitonyak

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego. What is the brand you want? Pilot Iroshizuku inks are very well-behaved and come in exceptionally beautiful colors. They are a bit more expensive but Amazon usually has them for a good price.

We ned more information to help you; favorite colors, your country location, etc. What inks does your father have already that you can try?

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Hello, and thank you for being so helpful!

I really want to try Pilot Iroshizuku inks (I'm particularly interested in Yama-Budo and Mom-Iji!) but it's unfortunately not the brand I'm looking at right now.

I'm in Brazil, and I actually have already started my own small collection of inks... right now I have a few Pelikan 4001 inks, a couple of Edelsteins (I managed to find Amethyst!), and a few that my father generously donated to my cause.

The brand I was interested in trying right now was KWZ, in particular their Iron Gall series. I've heard interesting things about them, and I really like the idea of really resistant ink that's still colorful.

I really like shading, and I'm looking for colors that don't remind me of black or grey. I already have an IG blue, so I'd like to ask about their green shades, brown (I'm interested in both Gold and Mandarin, which seem very different from each other), and the differences between Violet #3 and Gummiberry.

Should I post on Inky Thoughts already or wait a little?

Thank you again!

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego. What is the brand you want? Pilot Iroshizuku inks are very well-behaved and come in exceptionally beautiful colors. They are a bit more expensive but Amazon usually has them for a good price.

We ned more information to help you; favorite colors, your country location, etc. What inks does your father have already that you can try?

Sorry, only just saw the quote option. Answered above.

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. I can't help much on ink I fear.

Thank you, and it's alright. I suppose you're more like my father, and prefer to use one or two traditional ink colors?

KWZ Inks, including their iron gall inks, are fantastic and they have lots of fun colors. Vanness pen company sells samples, I believe. Their web site is Vanness1938.com.

Edited by Sinistral1

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

KWZ Inks, including their iron gall inks, are fantastic and they have lots of fun colors. Vanness pen company sells samples, I believe. Their web site is Vanness1938.com.

Thanks! I'm really excited to try out some of their inks! And yeah, unfortunately, the issue is that, even if Vanness shipped to my country, the shipping would be way too expensive...

Welcome! Glad you are with us!

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

Oi glassgauze! I have visited your beautiful country and have friends who live near Sao Paulo. Whenever they come to visit they always leave with at least two more luggage bags filled with goodies! I think you need to carefully read through the ink reviews to make your choice of KWZ inks. I, too, had a fascination with iron gall inks and think that they are fun to try. Just be sure that your pens are super clear of any old ink before loading the IG inks.

I wish you a very happy birthday and many years of fountain pen pleasure.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hello and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

Hello and welcome to you. Research your iron gall ink choice well and listen to those on here regarding possible issues with such inks.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Thank you all! I'm glad to be here!

Oi glassgauze! I have visited your beautiful country and have friends who live near Sao Paulo. Whenever they come to visit they always leave with at least two more luggage bags filled with goodies! I think you need to carefully read through the ink reviews to make your choice of KWZ inks. I, too, had a fascination with iron gall inks and think that they are fun to try. Just be sure that your pens are super clear of any old ink before loading the IG inks.

I wish you a very happy birthday and many years of fountain pen pleasure.

Thanks! It's so nice that you have friends around here! So you've had experience with iron gall inks, any other tips for me? Is there a story behind those instructions to be throughout in cleaning out the older ink?

Also, I should probably have been clearer that my birthday is still a couple of months away! I just couldn't resist, when I heard I'd get to pick out some ink, and started out research right away...

Hello and welcome to you. Research your iron gall ink choice well and listen to those on here regarding possible issues with such inks.

Thank you! I'm having a bit of trouble finding enough reviews for my research but I do plan to be very very careful with my usage. I clean my pens carefully anyway since I change inks so often (what can I say, I really like color...) but besides that I have already put aside a few cheaper pens to sacrifice to the Iron Gall inks.

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Regarding the inks, you should have a look at our ink section of the forum, with all sorts of topics related to inks, and also keep an eye on the PIF part, you can be very lucky sometimes, specially that we are working on a very very special PIF soon.

Best regards.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

If you PM me with your mailing address, I might be talked into sending you some samples of my KWZ inks, also some other iron gall inks I have in my stash.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

Welcome !

DIAMINE is a widely-available brand of ink, and comes in a large range of colors.

We have some good, generous member in Brazil. Access their knowledge.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !