The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

Lotus Shikar In Matt Black Ebonite

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 steve50

steve50

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 17:04

I saw Mehandiratta's post on the pen (https://mehandiratta...g/lotus-shikar/). Seemed really nice in the pics so went ahead and got one for myself. The pen is available in glossy blue, red and cumberland pattern, and matt black. I got the last one. Lotus says that ebonites come from Nikko. 

DSC_1469.JPG

I have to say, this pen is a serious contender in the market. It completely changed my ideas about Indian pens. I have a Ranga and it's nice but far from perfect. There are noticeable flaws: the shape is a bit irregular, the end part of cap is a bit off-centre, the colour and pattern of ebonite is also irregular (cap is greener than the barrel). Compared to this, Shikar is a much more refined product. I mean..you guys have to check this out...the quality is top-notch, especially the matt finish. I also like how the cap posts deeply and it feels nice when you post it. 

DSC_1468.JPG

The only thing is that this pen is huge. As you can see in the pics, Pilot 742 looks tiny next to it. I actually love the girthy grip, but for those of you who prefer smaller, slimmer pens this might not be for you.

DSC_1467.JPG

Ah, and another thing. The nib unit (Jowo) doesn't screw in fully on mine like in Mehandiratta's pics. On their website as well, it looks like on some pens it doesn't screw in all the way. No functional issues but still I would have preferred that clean look. 

Apart from that it's flawless.

DSC_1464.JPG

Sponsored Content

#2 Maurizio

Maurizio

scribex Catholicus

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 20:08

Thanks for posting this. I like the looks of this pen and I like big pens. What is the cost please and do you know if they ship worldwide?

Went to their website and my questions answered.

Edited by Maurizio, 07 March 2018 - 20:22.

Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare currant - Horace (We change our skies not our souls when we travel across the sea).

All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone - Pascal

Favorite shop:
https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

#3 tvradio

tvradio

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 22:37

Looks interesting. I was also intrigued after seeing Mehandiratta's post about his pen. I wonder how it compares in size/feel to the Asa Nauka, which FPN has had a couple of group buys on in recent years. (1) (2

“We could be heroes/Just for one day” ― David Bowie

#4 steve50

steve50

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 00:32

Thanks for posting this. I like the looks of this pen and I like big pens. What is the cost please and do you know if they ship worldwide?

Went to their website and my questions answered.

It was $80 without nib unit...just so you know that there's that option too. I'm just a customer but I feel like I should advertise the company so they launch more interesting pens haha. 

#5 steve50

steve50

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 00:33

Looks interesting. I was also intrigued after seeing Mehandiratta's post about his pen. I wonder how it compares in size/feel to the Asa Nauka, which FPN has had a couple of group buys on in recent years. (1) (2

No idea how it compares to Nauka, but this pen is not hand turned (I think) hence much more refined. The matt finish is amazing. It feels really smooth. 

#6 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:20

Thank you for the review. I was curious about the shikhar and am interested in getting one. I might go for the conventional golden clip.

Can you pls check inside the cap. Is there an inner cap? The caps rotation is stopped by the shoulder on the barrel or by the section contacting the inner cap? I could not determine this from the pics.

I have a model called the lotus-Vamza and I have posted a short review of it a few weeks back. I agree that the fit and finish is really top notch. They now have bock nib option too.

Edited by hari317, 08 March 2018 - 03:22.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#7 steve50

steve50

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:11

Thank you for the review. I was curious about the shikhar and am interested in getting one. I might go for the conventional golden clip.

Can you pls check inside the cap. Is there an inner cap? The caps rotation is stopped by the shoulder on the barrel or by the section contacting the inner cap? I could not determine this from the pics.

I have a model called the lotus-Vamza and I have posted a short review of it a few weeks back. I agree that the fit and finish is really top notch. They now have bock nib option too.

Hi Hari, there is an inner cap integrated into the cap - which makes it a bit heavy. 

#8 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:44

Hi Hari, there is an inner cap integrated into the cap - which makes it a bit heavy. 

Thanks, that's good. also your feedback that the cap posts well is going to make me order one soon.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#9 Sagarb

Sagarb

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:52

A lovely review Steve, thank you.

Sagar Bhowmick

#10 LeonardoDeArko

LeonardoDeArko

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2018 - 21:36

Nice review of a nice looking pen. Thank you Steve. Seems I have to contact the maker. Have to add another lovely Indian pen to the stable!

#11 markiv

markiv

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2018 - 03:30

Lotus pens have really surprised me by their quality. 

Superb pens. Here are a few I got from them.

FwyNrm3.jpg?1

Posted Image

#12 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2018 - 05:47

Nice set markiv!

#13 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,181 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 01:22

I have the Shikhar in the Cumberland. It is a very impressive pen. I also have a Ranga 8b and 2 Asa Naukas. So if these Indian pens are delightful.
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Sponsored Content

|