Waterman Kultur

scason

I'm using the standard black waterman cartridge which is no problem in my Phileas. Maybe I will try a different ink with the converter.
FWIW, with my Phileas I've had considerably less startup problems like this with Waterman Florida Blue Ink and the converter than I had with Waterman ink cartridges.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Coche_y_bondhu

• Hans-Peter Ording

• lalindsay225

• scason

I did try that, using a rubber pad to hold the section and a piece of bicycle tire tubing to grip the nib/feed. Pulled and pulled, and the thing would not come out of the section.

I have to admit that I used pliers, although I don't recommend that. :) But the pens are still intact.

Regards

Hans-Peter

It seems to write a little dry and if left to sit, it takes a small stroke or to to get the ink flowing. Has anybody had the same experience?

Yes, but only with the F-nib Kultur (the steel one, not the goldplated). Had most problems with cartridges but also with a converter. It also dries out very quick. These problems don't have anything to do with the cap but probably with the feed or the nib (or both). However if the pen is used often, there are no such problems.

Hello, does anyone know all of the colors the Kultur was made in? Thanks.

Lisa

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

It seems to write a little dry and if left to sit, it takes a small stroke or to to get the ink flowing. Has anybody had the same experience?

Yes, but only with the F-nib Kultur (the steel one, not the goldplated). Had most problems with cartridges but also with a converter. It also dries out very quick. These problems don't have anything to do with the cap but probably with the feed or the nib (or both). However if the pen is used often, there are no such problems.

My F-nib steel Kultur has the same issue. If I let it sit more than three or four days, it takes a little water to get it going again. Now, don't laugh, but when I went to use it the other day it wouldn't start up. I was in a classroom without access to water, so I licked it - several times. Yes. About an hour later, while washing my hands in the restroom, I noticed that my tongue had a nice shade of PR Naples Blue.

Lisa,

Colors I know of:

In transparent: blue, yellow, green, orange, pink, clear, purple and smoke (grey)

In soft transparent: blue, pink, purple

Also: sparkle soft purple, solid blue, green and red (I think)

I have several and change the barrels, caps and inks to come up with some psychedilec color combinations! I call them my "Woodstock" pens :)!

I only use one nib/feed/section (the others are spares) and keep the Kultur horizontal with the nib end pointed slightly down. Starts every time.

Cheers,

Richard

Edited by Coche_y_bondhu

Thanks, Richard! Of the transparent blues, is one more of a light blue? I have a dark blue, a sparkly purple, and just got a yellow from Lewertowski, but I would love a light blue one if one is available. I'll have to check into some of the other colors as well, they sound lovely!

Thanks,

Lisa

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

Lisa,

I have the "soft" translucent blue, purple and pink coming in from Jean-Michel in France along with a "clear" transparent yellow. I have a "clear" transparent green also coming in from the Netherlands.

I would classify the "soft" colors as translucent with a matte finish and the "clear" colors, like your yellow Kultur, as transparent with a shiny finish. The "clear" transparent blue I have looks like the one in the picture Hans-Peter is referencing on ebay.

I think the sparkle purple and the clear transparent grey are the nicest looking Kulturs. Especially if you ink the sparkle purple with Waterman purple (violet) and the grey one with Noodlers Lexington Grey. The sparkle blue that Hans-Peter describes should be a beauty! Do you have one, Hans-Peter :)?

I'll let you know and take some pix when the "soft" colors arrive.

Try swapping the barrels and caps around and see what I mean about a kaliedoscope of colors!

Maybe we can turn the Waterman Kultur into the FPN "Cult" fountain pen! There sure seems to be a large users' group :)!

If my math is correct, I can make 110 different color combinations with my 10 Kulturs!

Cheers,

Richard in Plano TX

Edited by Coche_y_bondhu

Thanks, Hans-Peter and Richard! Thank goodness these pens are inexpensive, or I would be in way over my head. Wow, gray and green; I haven't seen those colors on eBay yet. Are they less common? I'll keep an eye out. In the meantime, an orange Kultur is also coming my way from our friend in France!

Lisa

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

Hello Lisa,

When I got home today there was a package form France and a package from the Netherlands for me.

The French package contained a clear transparent yellow Kultur from our friend, Jean-Michel L. If the light strikes it just right, it has an eerie irridescent light green hue to it.

The package from Holland came from Roger (nathalie4 on ebay). It had a beautiful marbled green Kultur, yes, a marbled green finish. I thought it was clear transparent, but the pix on eBay don't do this pen justice. It came in a Lara Croft Tomb Raider box. I believe Roger has another listed on eBay

I still have three Kulturs coming from Jean-Michel. I will post pictures of all the pens then. The big differentiator between a Kultur and a Phileas: the nib section. It is clear on a Kultur, black on a Phileas. I love seeing the different colors of ink in it. Rather unique.

Cheers,

Richard in Plano Texas

Edited by Coche_y_bondhu

The big differentiator between a Kultur and a Phileas: the nib section. It is clear on a Kultur, black on a Phileas.

Hi Richard,

I thought they are distinguished by nib color (silver or two-tone), but I don't know if that's "official".

Here are some more pictures, I didn't dare to steal them. :)

Sparkle blue

Black

Red

2000 silver edition

Red, green, blue

I own only the yellow (pictured at the left) and the light blue (both "clear" ones), but I plan to get the orange one soon.

Regards

Hans-Peter

Also: sparkle soft purple, solid blue, green and red (I think)

Never seen sparkle red... but I have all the other sparkles. I swap part of them too. Very nice. With Parker Frontier that is not so nice because the rubber grip is with the colour of the barrel.

<i><b><font size="4"><a href="http://www.duninet.com" target="_blank">Andrea Duni</a></font></b><br><font color="#696969">(ex Netnemo)</font></i><br><br><b>Join the FPN Groups on <a href="https://www.facebook.com/groups/fountainpennetwork/" target="_blank">Facebook</a> and <a href="http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/799587" target="_blank">LinkedIn</a></b>

Wow, those are nice! Thank you for the links to the pictures, Hans-Peter!

Lisa

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

Hello Hans-Peter,

I think you may be right about the Phileas having the two-tone nib and the Kultur the silver color nib. My wife has a Phileas and it has the two tone nib for sure. I don't know, but it is just something about the single tone nib and clear section that sets the Kulturs apart from other fps.

Perhaps some Waterman cognescentis on the forum will comment on the Kulturs.

Hans-Peter, being a Star Trek fan, doesn't a Kultur sound like the perfect pen a Klingon would write with :) ? Now what what Kirk use? We digress!

Cheers,

Richard in Texas

Here are two of my Kultur sparkle... I gave the blue one to my girlfriend.

http://fountainpens.netnemo.net/Analytics/...ltur/index.html

<i><b><font size="4"><a href="http://www.duninet.com" target="_blank">Andrea Duni</a></font></b><br><font color="#696969">(ex Netnemo)</font></i><br><br><b>Join the FPN Groups on <a href="https://www.facebook.com/groups/fountainpennetwork/" target="_blank">Facebook</a> and <a href="http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/799587" target="_blank">LinkedIn</a></b>

Hans-Peter, being a Star Trek fan, doesn't a Kultur sound like the perfect pen a Klingon would write with :) ?

Hi Richard,

Kultur is a German word and means culture. I don't associate that with Klingons. :)

Regards

Hans-Peter

Edit: Nice pictures, Netnemo!

Edited by Hans-Peter Ording

Yes, Netnemo, love your pictures! Where can I get a sparkly green one? :drool: Better wait until next month though.

Lisa

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

My Kultur that I got from the Marketplace for $11 is a great pen.

1: Different orange color, I have the soft touch

2: Sorta demonstrator, can see into the section

3: Converter capability, this is not rare, but it's nice to have the c/c option.

4: My F nib actually writes like a Fine, none of this too-broad nibs that you get with Pelikans and Parkers and the like (in my experience)

5: The clip is different. I just noticed that it is spring loaded.

5. Snap-on cap.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa9/jmkeuning/Phileas3.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa9/jmkeuning/Phileas2.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa9/jmkeuning/Phileas1.jpg

Edited by jmkeuning

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

Hello jm,

You are absolutely right about the springloaded clip. Never noticed that before. I then observed that the clips are satin finish on the "soft" transparent colors versus a shiny finish on the "clear" transparent versions.

I use a converter in mine because of the different ink colors I can use versus cartridge. I think I'll take the cartridges for travel. I think they are a blue black shade.

Right now, I have a soft pink one inked with Noodler Apache Sunset. This morning it was a marbled green cap and a clear yellow barrel with the same ink.

I also have found that it is better to keep a Kultur at a steep nib-down angle while idle. Writes first time, every time. No dry starting whatsoever.

Fun pens!

Cheers,

Richard in Texas