The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Conway Stewart Cap Repair

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 johnmc2

johnmc2

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:03

I have two Conway Stewart 23 caps, one with the plug for the clip-screw and one whose plug is missing. I would like to remove the plug from the green cap and install it in the blue one. 
Any ideas how to proceed? 

QbXpM4qm.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 DigiDog

DigiDog

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:29

Hi John

I advise you not to try to knock out plug with force like showed on pic 1:1.JPG

I tryed it out and destroyed cap.. luckily it was a color faded..useless Cap.

You could try to press plug out like showed on pic 2: 2.JPG ...

If you dont want to risk to destroy your No.23 Cap.. I offer you my Plug for free..Its from a 24 or 28 one and i suppose dimension is same as the 23. Your expense will be only te shippinngcost of about 7,30GBP from switzerland to you.

If my pics will not appear.. i will try to correct this deficiency.. just let me know...this is my first entry..

regards

Georgios

#3 johnmc2

johnmc2

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2018 - 23:22

Many thanks for the offer.  I had to destroy the donor cap but managed to get the plug out in one piece and it is now successfully installed in the blue cap.  Unfortunately I then discovered that the clip was cracked, so it's back in the parts basket! 

Thanks again

Edited by johnmc2, 20 May 2018 - 00:34.

#4 DigiDog

DigiDog

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:02

I was asking myself after my feedback if you will have some need for donor cap... :)

I have a CS 60 craked Ice with slacked plug wich i want to fix bud i dont know wich kind of glue i should use.

Do you have some recommendation?

#5 johnmc2

johnmc2

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2018 - 22:36

HI, I'm not sure what you mean by 'slacked' so I'll assume you mean the plug is loose in the cap? I know that some people use araldite (two-part epoxy) glues or cyanoacrylates but I would hesitate to recommend that you use them on such a valuable pen.  It would be worth sending it off to a repairer I would think, some of them have lots of spare parts.  A pen which has been glued won't be worth as much as one which has been repaired.  

Sponsored Content

|