The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Straighting Bent Cellulose Barrel

straighting cellulose bent barrel bent cellulose

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pen_Padawan

Pen_Padawan

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:30

Newbie error here,

I was attempting to re-sac a vintage Platinum cellulose pen when I over heated the barrel with my hair dryer, now there is a slight bend in the barrel.  Good thing the cap still threads on with no problem.  The problem is really aesthetics.  I tried one time to warm up the barrel with the hair dryer to bend the barrel straight but it did not work.  I thought I would stop there and ask the forum for advise.

So what is the best way to straighten the barrel with out distorting any of the threading or making things worse.

Thanks,

Pen_Padawan

Sponsored Content

#2 Inkling13

Inkling13

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:40

I would send it off for repair or live with a banana pen. Dewarping a pen is tough to do.

#3 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Looking for the next big thing...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:47

Not often successful and rarely a task for someone who is not intimately knowledgeable with the materials. You have to really know what you are doing with regard to heat, intensity and duration, and other aspects.

You might be best to just come to terms with your handiwork and learn to love a banana pen. It will be a reminder to you of what not to do in the future.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#4 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,771 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 14:07

^^^ That.

This is something that I do try only when I have  to, not something that I like to take in as a repair.  Chances of failure are pretty high.

Straightening a warped barrel is really tough to do, and chances of success depend on the what the material is.  Hard rubber?  Possible.  Lucite?  Possible  Celluloid, maybe.  Acrylic, it depends on the type acrylic, and even then slim.  Some acrylics turn gooey very quickly and can't be straightened.  Then there's the chance that the material will bubble, melt or burn.  

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#5 Stylomeister

Stylomeister

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 19:22

Hope it wasn't a MB straiated platinum, that would be a problem ;-)

Edited by Stylomeister, 24 March 2018 - 19:22.

Sponsored Content

|