The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Two Very Different Jinhao 992 Student Pens

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 pitonyak

pitonyak

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:41

I purchased some Jinhao 992  student pens to try. I purchased Fine and Medium nib pens. In the pictures, the pens were identical in how they looked. When they arrived? Not so much for the nibs.

The green pen has the Fine nib. The Blue one is supposed to be the same pen with a medium nib. 

I purposely purchased some mediums because I want to test these with some Noodlers Blue Whale UV ink. Should be fun!

I did not expect these pens to look so different at the nib. Any thoughts please? 

Attached Images

• jinhao_01.jpg
  • jinhao_02.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 alanshutko

alanshutko

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:13

Jinhao makes both hooded and non-hooded nibs.  When I bought one on eBay, I found them listed as Transparent Whatever, and Transparent Whatever -A.  The -A version for that seller was the hooded nib.

#3 pitonyak

pitonyak

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 13:27

So the term is "hooded"... Is there any particular advantage or disadvantage to "hooded" versus "not hooded"? My guess:

Hooded - may provide some protection to the NIB, but, you cannot see the nib, and if you want to tune the nib it may be more difficult.

Not Hooded - I can actually see the nib and have access to it if I want, but then it is exposed...

#4 pitonyak

pitonyak

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 13:28

So if I really want to know if this is a Medium, then I need to pull the Nib I suppose. It looks like the Nib assembly unscrews from the pen. 

#5 rollerboy

rollerboy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 21:56

Based on what was available when I went 992 shopping late last year, and the relative tipping size in your photo, I'd say the hooded version is an EF nib.

#6 pitonyak

pitonyak

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 23:09

Hmm, how to tell how to tell...... I could measure it. Not sure I am good enough to tell. I specifically ordered medium so that I would get a heavier flow with UV ink. 

wonder if I can just take one of these apart.... 

#7 Proto

Proto

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 23:18

The hooded variant is called Jinhao's "Accounting nib." In my experience they're very close to a western EF, usually about .38mm line width. I've got several 991s with this hooded-style nib. One of the advantages is that since so little of the nib is exposed, they can stay uncapped for longer without drying out.

#8 sdbruder

sdbruder

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:57

personally I dont like hooded nibs at all, I avoid them as much as I can (Ive got one as gift).

#9 bugsydog55

bugsydog55

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2018 - 23:40

The 992's that I have all have a nice flow and lay down a good medium line.  I don't have any of the hooded variety specifically because they usually write a narrower line.  The Chinese pens I have that are hooded almost all write fine or extra fine,  So even if the Jinhao nib on the green 992 says fine, ink it up and see because I think you will be surprised by how wide the line could be.

#10 JayKay3000

JayKay3000

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2018 - 00:38

I got one with the hooded nib and got a re-fund from the seller as I was expecting one with a standard nib from the photos. They let me keep the pen and I keep it in the stuff draw for if I need a pen real quick as it always starts when needed. The nib is also pretty smooth for a fine and I'm not the biggest fan, but decided it wrote too well to throw out.

Hooded nibs can be less prone to drying out when un-capped as there is less nib exposed.

#11 californiabob

californiabob

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2018 - 15:28

there are entire generations of parker FPs that are hooded so there's lots of

interest from both sides on hooded FPs

goes with hoodies...

#12 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2018 - 16:07

Hmm, how to tell how to tell...... I could measure it. Not sure I am good enough to tell. I specifically ordered medium so that I would get a heavier flow with UV ink. 

wonder if I can just take one of these apart....

Just fill and write. The line will tell you.

I love Jinhao's hooded nibs; they're great writers.

#13 pitonyak

pitonyak

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2018 - 17:17

Have not had time to ink it yet, but I will do that after I finish the ink in one of the non-hooded pens. I have about 7 pens inked right now, too many. 

I like the idea of not drying out as fast. 

#14 rollerboy

rollerboy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2018 - 19:53

Just fill and write. The line will tell you.

I love Jinhao's hooded nibs; they're great writers.

I'm okay with hooded nibs. Some of my best friends are hooded nibs. However, in the case of the Jinhao 992 I think the look of a hooded nib doesn't suit the pen. I'm guessing it's hooded simply because that's the sort of nib they had lying around and could cheaply slap together an EF version with. Unfortunately the result is butt ugly.

#15 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2018 - 20:04

I'm okay with hooded nibs. Some of my best friends are hooded nibs. However, in the case of the Jinhao 992 I think the look of a hooded nib doesn't suit the pen. I'm guessing it's hooded simply because that's the sort of nib they had lying around and could cheaply slap together an EF version with. Unfortunately the result is butt ugly.

*squints*

Yyyeahhh...I think because the section's transluscency highlights how the hood or sleeve is just stuck in there. It looks somewhat better on their Jin-fari.

#16 Drawing61

Drawing61

Isle of Innisfree

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:08

I have one I picked up at a resale shop for fifty cents. It is black, it is ugly, it is dependable. I take it out into the world when I leave the beautiful and more pampered pets at home.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

#17 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:37

I had to agree , this is pretty much the same case with all those Lamy clone and the 991 as well. Instead of a section that's styled for the hooded nib they are just putting a plug / coupler on the tip to affix the hooded nib integral feed ( which was originally designed to have the coupler at the other end and a single piece section that holds ). Ok I mus say this is no new, Cinese ood pen had plenty of model doing this way going way back but still those were designed around hooded nib and jus use a different mechanism to hold the nib and feed. For the 991, 992 and all those Lamy clone, the were just retrofitting hooded nib to a section tailored for an classic open nib.

#18 pitonyak

pitonyak

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2018 - 18:09

I inked up a hooded version today, and it much finer than the Fine without hood; even though they were supposed to send me a Medium. It did work well, however. 

I gave away a bunch of these pens this morning, I teach a class for 4th/5th grade Sunday morning, and they all wanted one. I then had older students who were no longer in my class tracking me down before I left asking me for a pen. 

Get them started with Fountain Pens when they are younger and the pens are cool!

#19 TSherbs

TSherbs

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 18:25

Yes, the hooded versions are finer. I have both. I'm not sure they have anything truly medium in the 992. But the fine is more f/m. IMO.

#20 pitonyak

pitonyak

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2018 - 20:11

It wrote very well, given the 20 seconds that I used it before the student that I gave it to took control of it! 

Sponsored Content

|