The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Parker 51 Vac, Ink On The Section

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Parkette

Parkette

Dogged

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 17:37

Not a 51 expert so hoping that someone can help.

My 51 Vac has just been brought into use after not being used for many many years, it fills and writes ok but if the pen is left on my desk, capped and laid down,  there is ink around the section and in the cap when the cap is removed.

Could you suggest what may be going wrong please?

Thank you

Pkte

Edited by Parkette, 06 March 2018 - 17:57.

She is never one to let humility get in the way of a confrontation.

Sponsored Content

#2 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2018 - 18:14

Clean the cap well. Clean the section and then store the pen nib up. See what happens.
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#3 Parkette

Parkette

Dogged

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 18:35

Clean the cap well. Clean the section and then store the pen nib up. See what happens.

Thanks Hari.

I have just put two 51 Vacs to the test. Both caps are dry as a bone, laid down though. I will store the suspect 51 as you suggest, wait until I have had some tea and then test again.

Edited by Parkette, 06 March 2018 - 18:48.

#4 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,968 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 19:35

I imagine the old diaphragm is no longer ink tight. Air getting in the back of the pen will mean ink coming out the front.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

#5 Parkette

Parkette

Dogged

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 21:05

Thank you both for your advice. an old and faulty diaphragm had occurred to me. The pen fills and expels 8-10 drops which IGriz used to say was about right. I have tried to blow down the filler and that didnt work.

Will give the pen 24 hours having given the cap a very good clean, if there is any more ink to be seen then the diaphragm must be the culprit.

#6 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,639 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 21:30

Thank you both for your advice. an old and faulty diaphragm had occurred to me. The pen fills and expels 8-10 drops which IGriz used to say was about right. I have tried to blow down the filler and that didnt work.

Will give the pen 24 hours having given the cap a very good clean, if there is any more ink to be seen then the diaphragm must be the culprit.

Tom may have so opined, but he was wrong.  You can not effectively measure the amount of ink taken into the pen by how much you get out of the pen.  Take a look at this article  that I wrote several years ago, and you'll see what I mean. 

The cause of the problem could be a bad diaphragm, it could be that the feed is not set properly against the nib, it could be that ink is getting pulled out of the pen because the vent system in the cap is clogged, or it could be that you haven't filled the pen properly i.e. the last pump down, you hold it down and then pull the pen out of the ink, then release the pump.  This clears the excess ink out of the breather tube and collector.  If you don't do this, the pen may have a tendency to flood. 

If blowing down the filler had worked, I would have been concerned.  Between the pump rod and the inside of the pen is the diaphragm, which is water and air tight.  Parker made a tool to test a diaphragm, which was a piece that fit into a bulb, and screwed onto the threads of the blind cap nipple.  You screwed the tool onto the pen, immersed the pen in water and squeezed the bulb.  If bubbles came out the tip of the pen, you had a bad diaphragm.  If nothing came out, the diaphragm was likely OK.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#7 Parkette

Parkette

Dogged

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:38

Thanks Ron, a very comprehensive reply.

The pen is going to a professional to be sorted out, I really appreciate your helpfulness.

Sponsored Content

|