My First Parker51 - From '51

MightyEighth

This past weekend at the Baltimore Pen Show I picked up my first vintage Parker, an aerometric teal 51 from '51 (Q3). I think it's in great shape and it's a real pleasure to hold and to write with. The teal color is very appealing as well, and I like how it varies with lighting. I'm not positive about the nib size, but I'll guess it's a fine (sorry for not having a writing sample here), which is nicely smooth. Just like the slightly curved etch in the cap from the rotational play in the clip ring, this pen puts a persistent smile on my face :-) I'm truly happy to have it.

- Marc

40655157931_f6cde6b11a_c.jpg

Edited by MightyEighth

Ink 'em if you got 'em!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• MightyEighth

• pajaro

• JotterAddict62

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations Marc!

I got my first "51" two weeks ago, a 4th quarter 1950 black one with a custom cap (and, I think, a fine nib) and I love it - it comes to work with me everyday and I make as many notes as I can, just for the sheer pleasure of using it.

A wonderful pen.

Best

James

ps I love the teal colour of yours.

Edited by shamwari

"If you want to succeed in the world, you don't have to be much cleverer than other people. You just have to be one day earlier." -- Leo Szilard

Very nice. My first 51 was also a Teal, although mine has a gold-filled cap. It was an eBay win from a few years ago, thanks to coaching on how to evaluate the listings -- and what questions to ask -- from FPN member OcalaFlGuy (and also he'd run his eye over the listings and advise me as to what the pens *should* be going for price-wise).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: Fair warning though: It may be your first, but it is likely to NOT be your last/only 51....

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Your next one should be midnight blue. It's a bit darker, though, than 1549.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Very nice. My first 51 was also a Teal, although mine has a gold-filled cap. It was an eBay win from a few years ago, thanks to coaching on how to evaluate the listings -- and what questions to ask -- from FPN member OcalaFlGuy (and also he'd run his eye over the listings and advise me as to what the pens *should* be going for price-wise).

ETA: Fair warning though: It may be your first, but it is likely to NOT be your last/only 51....

Your next one should be midnight blue. It's a bit darker, though, than 1549.

It's funny, but this pen is so nice that I feel no craving for the next one. You're all probably having a good laugh at that.

What does 1549 refer to?

- Marc

Ink 'em if you got 'em!

My first 51, a black and gold Mark One Aerometric, is still having the last ink soaked out of the collector, but I did try writing with it - halfway through the soaking /cleaning process, using the old ink that it was spewing out! what a revelation! I fear it will not be alone for long.

Is there a Broad Oblique nib?

Edited by Methersgate

Congrats! 51's are such great pens! I have one that I won right here at FPN, from a pif!

I am the tarot reading, bookworm, whiskey drinking, witchcraft practicing, old fashioned writing, aunt Beasty in my family and I love it. Tarot readings for sale or trade, especially ink as I've lost all of my pen stuff from a bad burglary last year. And I need penpals! Anyone interested, please PM me!

My first 51, a black and gold Mark One Aerometric, is still having the last ink soaked out of the collector, but I did try writing with it - halfway through the soaking /cleaning process, using the old ink that it was spewing out! what a revelation! I fear it will not be alone for long.

Is there a Broad Oblique nib?

Parker did offer a factory broad oblique for the 51, but I imagine those are quite hard to come by. I don't think I've seen one myself. Most 51s you will come across with have either fine or medium nibs. UK 51s seem more likely to have broad nibs.

To the OP, nice pen! That teal color always struck me as very mid-century.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

My first 51 was also teal, and I clearly remember my excitement when I won it about 3 years ago in a flea-bay auction for $51. It now has several companions to keep it company, both Aerometric and Vacumatic. These things are quite addictive.

Currently in rotation is a fine navy grey Aerometric with a GF cap, inked with Visconti blue and sharing my daily carry case with a matching mechanical pencil (amongst other pens). I just love the way something made nearly 70 years ago still works flawlessly. It's a testament to both the design and build quality that Parker put into the 51.

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

=====================================

Parker did offer a factory broad oblique for the 51, but I imagine those are quite hard to come by. I don't think I've seen one myself. Most 51s you will come across with have either fine or medium nibs. UK 51s seem more likely to have broad nibs.

I have an English-made Navy Gray Aero that has an OM or OB nib on it (and it cost more than the other ones did, even including repairs on a couple of them. But agreed -- all my other ones are EF, F or M nibs.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Congrats on your first 51. I would be waiting to hear from you a year or so later how many 51s you own. :)

Khan M. Ilyas