The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Storing Pens

ahab noodlers ink storage jinhao montblanc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 iram

iram

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2018 - 19:43

Of the three pens  I have  at moment.  A montblanc 144, Jinhao 159 and a Noodlers Ahab

since I'm just starting out  basically  was cycling through the pens to see which one style, nib etc  I prefer

Like I find the Montblanc  sort of too small (thin ) for me  and the  159  just  a  bit too large.

I had all filled with ink  and when I went to use the  Ahab  today  I found the ink had dried up.  I was sort of surprised  at that.  I managed to wash  pen out  and will re ink it  when I get home.

I'm thinking  it may be a good idea  to store  pens until ready to use  possible filled  with distilled  water  to prevent and  ink still in side feed  etc from drying  out

Appreciate any thoughts on this  or is it really unnecessary.

Thanks

Sponsored Content

#2 Inkling13

Inkling13

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2018 - 20:00

If your MB has cork seals, storing with distilled wayer is recommended to keep them hydrated. Distilled water wont hurt, but keep your pens ventillated to keep moisture buildup and mold and corrosion as a consequence.

#3 CAG_1787

CAG_1787

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2018 - 21:55

Noodler's pens have a well-verified reputation for quick evaporation, among their litany of *ahem* eccentricities.

Personally, I find storing with water to be more trouble than it's worth.

“You cultivate the essential virtues: high purpose, intelligence, decency, humility, fear of the Lord, and the passion for freedom.” - William F. Buckley, Jr.

#4 JayKay3000

JayKay3000

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2018 - 22:48

Just picked up a couple of pens that I'd not used for over two weeks and no problems starting.

A couple I'd not used for over two years I just dipped their nibs in ink and let the feed suck it up and after re-filling the converters they wrote just fine.

None of my pens are draw queens though so all are owned because they can write. I use Parker quink ink in all my pens. Mostly the black and sometimes their blue black with waterman purple mix with the blue black because the blue black ends up looking almost green.

Edited by JayKay3000, 05 March 2018 - 22:49.

#5 alanshutko

alanshutko

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2018 - 14:39

I have two VPs that dry out within a week or two, so if they aren't in use, they are completely empty.  Other folks report that their VPs can keep ink fine for a few weeks, so I'm gradually trying fixes before sending them in for repair.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ahab, noodlers, ink, storage, jinhao, montblanc

Sponsored Content

|