The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

Cross Metropolis Nib Question: Gold?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MxMJ

MxMJ

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2018 - 18:42

I have a Cross Metropolis on the way to me, and the nib does not quite match what I'm seeing in my research. It has the skyline engraving but also appears to be hallmarked 14k or 18k gold? The other Metropolis nibs I've seen are all gold plated steel with no hallmark. 

It is the gold plated and black model. The pen is boxed and has the original barcode label on it, but none of the numbers make much sense to me.

Any ideas? Possibly an up-market model? I can take some pictures tonight if anyone is interested.

Sponsored Content

#2 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 23:11

If there's a model number on the box, e.g. "31[digit]-8[letter]", you might be able to find a description in a Web search.  I only know of steel nibs with 22k gold plating.

Here's mine.  Do you see more on yours?

fpn_1421268517__sam_2231_sm.jpg

Edited by Tweel, 05 March 2018 - 23:22.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

#3 MxMJ

MxMJ

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2018 - 23:59

I just got it from the mailbox, it does indeed have an 18k gold nib.

The model number is 316-8M18.  As another clue, it was purchased from Levenger who I know has released some odd versions of pens from other companies in the past.

Attached Images

• 20180305_175153.jpg

#4 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:10

Okay -- I think 316-8 means a Metropolis FP with 23k gold plate and black lacquer, M is the point size (as shown on the nib itself), and of course, the additional 18, which I hadn't seen before!  Very nice, and the vintage Cross logo is great.  Congrats!

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

#5 MxMJ

MxMJ

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2018 - 15:58

Yeah, thanks, the model number now makes sense to me. The pen is identical to what I am seeing for 316-8M, except for the 18k nib which explains the 18 at the end of the model number.

I haven't been able to find any others like it though. The full model number doesn't return any results via google, which is sort of crazy. 

Sponsored Content

|