The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

Parker Duofold - Grandmother's Favorite Pen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 flygirl711

flygirl711

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:02

You guys, somehow when everything was split up between my family members no one thought to grab my grandmother's pen or asked for it. It was her cross word pen and the only thing I ever saw her write with. When I had found it going through her estate it had been sitting for over 10 years and  someone had broken the nib. I don't have any clue what they were doing. Is there any way to repair this to get it to working condition. I now collect pens, and have a few fountain pens...but repairing this Parker is my holy grail for entirely sentimental reasons. If anyone has any tutorials on repairing this at home that would be preferable, I am a full time student and mom so funds are tight. 

Thank you for all help in advance. :-)

Attached Images

• IMG_2732.JPG
  • IMG_2734.JPG
  • IMG_2733.JPG

Sponsored Content

#2 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:34

:W2FPN:

Parker Vacumatic pen repair requires some special wrenches and other jigs (to clear the pellet pocket) etc. I suggest you simply store the pen carefully for the moment and seek professional repair service when you have the funds. You are going to also need a new nib and feed which is again going to cost. 

Best,

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#3 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:38

Looks like you will need a new feed and nib. Both are readily available. Servicing the filler unit requires a vac wrench of one design or another. Because fitting a new feed and nib can be a less than straight forward process due to variances in vintage parts, I’d recommend sending to someone with a stash of parts.

The exact nib for your pen will depend on the date code and imprint on the barrel.

Where is this pen living? Might be that there is a club or repair person near you.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#4 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2018 - 19:54

FarmBoy is wise.  1+ his advice.

Buying a single nib and feed from a donor might not result in a good fit.  

#5 Penntellr

Penntellr

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:42

Just to give you an idea what's involved in making your pen functional again, besides locating the missing pieces Farmboy said you need, here is a TY Vid: Part 1 / Part 2  ....for a Vacumatic (looks like yours?)

Sponsored Content

|