The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

First Fp For A Real (And Perplexing!) Writer

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Namo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:43

Congrats on second novel! Awesome!

As a I do some writing myself (and have a terrible handwriting...) here is what I can say:

1) comfort is really important, so if you give your son a pen, do not expect him to use it for his writing;

2) Moleskine is not FP friendly;

3) I agree it would be a good idea to ask him about his writing habits/demands/preferences; for that price you can find very nice pencils.

4) be aware that buying him a FP can lead to many FPs in the future... 😎

Just my two cents of course.

Edited by Namo, 07 March 2018 - 11:44.

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Sponsored Content

#22 Driften

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 20:20

You can find NOS Pilot Elites on ebay for around $30-$40.

Most of those are made in Korea under license from Pilot and not actual Pilot pens. Not to say they are bad pens just not real Pilots. There are older Pilot made elites available but in general they have gold nibs and cost more then $30.

#23 Corona688

Inkfingered Crackpot

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 22:47

Lefties are more likely to enjoy fountain pens than average. We're forced to write against the grain, so to speak, and the ease they write with - and their resistance to snagging - is a pleasure. Unless you get an atomsplitter-fine point which catches everything anyway.

#24 kaspian

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:58

I have learned so much from this thread. I'm really kind of overwhelmed by the kindness you've all shown in sharing your thoughts and ideas. Among many other things, I understand a bit more about lefties.

And I'm still wavering somewhat. I did follow TheLorekeeper's suggestion and bought an NOS Pilot Elite for $27 — before Driften pointed out that this was likely a Korean pen made under license from Pilot. It's very cool-looking and I may give this to my son as a starting point — along with a bottle of Oster's Great Southern Ocean, inasmuch as the lad has spent some time sailing around the ocean in question and might get an extra smile out of it.

The novel, meanwhile, is reportedly almost finished — and I'm sure the writers among you will recognize a familiar pattern here, whereby "The End" continues to recede to a point just out of reach even as you charge relentlessly toward it. Achilles and the tortoise, or some such thing.

Cheers everyone

#25 Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 16:56

The most important questions to get answers to are

• What does he like?
  • Why does he like it?

Lacking answers to those, we're basically blasting away with shotguns in the dark.

Sponsored Content