Match A Pen To Warranted 14K Gold Flex Nib

jctsoares

So I bought this old unbranded pen for 5€ (only said made in England) on a flea market but ruined the section and feed and also the sack was all rotten and couldn't get the pump system out of the barrel but I managed to save this flexy 14k gold nib! 1f642.png:-)[/size] But now I don't have a pen out of my +/- 60 pens collection (mostly cheap Chinese ...) to match this nib ... 1f641.png :([/size] Any idea what cheap new or vintage pen and feed under $30 will match this beautiful nib? And what size nib is this? #5 or 5.5? Most nibs and feeds I have seem to be longer.
If anyone can identify this pen that has no brand markins on it, that would also be helpful. Thanks in advance.

25674144347_ff2a4ae3e5_n.jpgP_20180301_000720_1 by João Carlos Soares, on Flickr

39834373694_ee369e9955_n.jpgP_20180301_000638_1 by João Carlos Soares, on Flickr

40545270211_a8b6a96f02_n.jpgP_20180228_235902 by João Carlos Soares, on Flickr

25674144887_3ae020aaea_n.jpgP_20180301_000525 by João Carlos Soares, on Flickr

40443145872_913e634e43_n.jpgAnonymous fountain pen by João Carlos Soares, on Flickr

40485831361_63a3d6b106_n.jpgAnonymous fountain pen by João Carlos Soares, on Flickr

40443147642_c7b09cf4e9_n.jpgAnonymous fountain pen by João Carlos Soares, on Flickr

39590081885_a27f878c64_n.jpgAnonymous fountain pen by João Carlos Soares, on Flickr

40485834611_503db5ba97_n.jpgAnonymous fountain pen by João Carlos Soares, on Flickr

40443151662_a2c10cc133_n.jpgAnonymous fountain pen by João Carlos Soares, on Flickr

40443152062_be82869cc2_n.jpgAnonymous fountain pen by João Carlos Soares, on Flickr

25614960277_1894526a5c_n.jpgAnonymous fountain pen by João Carlos Soares, on Flickr

40485836181_0456380559_n.jpgAnonymous fountain pen by João Carlos Soares, on Flickr

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jctsoares

• sidthecat

• 3rdtierpencollector

• sansenri

I suspect that you can mate your nib with any vintage pen that will take a #2 nib. A vintage pen with a missing or uninteresting nib should be the object of your next search.

I suspect that you can mate your nib with any vintage pen that will take a #2 nib. A vintage pen with a missing or uninteresting nib should be the object of your next search.

Thanks for the tip.

Yes I also think that nowadays nibs have different sizes from vintage nibs and that I´ll probably have more uck with a vintage pen than with a modern pen. Section and feed that I destroyed to get the nib out were ebonite and barrel was discoloured greenish in stead of blue as the cap was and all that combined with the pumpfiller makes me think it was a pretty old pen from the 40s or 50s or maybe even older. I was thinking that maybe some Indian not too expensive pen would match. I have a pen with a Serwex nib that says #6 that has the closest match as far as shape is concerned but is a lot bigger than this nib. How do you know it's a #2 size? Do you have nibs like this with same measurements or are there size tables ? As a newbie in this hobby I have no clue ...

your alternative could be have a custom pen made for it, by Ranga or similar Indian manufacturer. 30 usd might not be sufficient but is you stay on one of the smaller models (model 2, for example), since I assume the original pen was not big, and stay on ED filling, you might still be within a reasonable budget.

The advantage would be that the pen could be made exactly to fit the nib, and also same size of the original pen, or slightly bigger if you prefer.

Try any pen with a smaller sized (#5?) Schmidt nib. I've had good luck fitting the vintage #2 sized nibs into them.

Most vintage pens, unless they're anomalously large or small, contain a #2 nib or something of similar dimensions. The ability to swap nibs was probably a useful quality in fountain pens...still is, really.

Thanks for the tips, I think I'll just have to be patient and see if I find a similar vintage pen. Problem with those is that when very old the feed is so badly stuck in the section that I can't get it out without damaging it. Happened to this one and to a fake Montblanc. From this one I only saved this nice nib and from the fake MB only the converter was left usable, Still have the barrel, section and cap but is of no use. I don't mind 'cause it's a fake anyway. I tried several Jinhao etc. #5 nib pens but the #2 gold nib seems loose or it goes all the way in into the section until it's snugly fit but in those cases the feed then seems to be too long ... not sure if cutting the feed on the side that goes into the section would solve the problem, maybe ... not sure I'm willing too ruin a nice chinese pen trying to cut the feed etc.. I'll think about it and will study possible ways to solve this. If I manage to fit it somewhere and make it write I'll let you know in this topic again. Thanks again for all your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Send me a p.m.with your address, i have a pen ill send you that came with that version of Warranted 14# 8 nib on it originally. There are 3 different "warranted 14k #8" styles of nib as far as I can tell & I believe the one you have to be a National Pen Products style nib that were on multiple brands of flat top lever fillers and streamlined style lever fillers, mostly from the early 1920's to the early 1940's. I have a few large flat top lever fillers that are only missing a sac and nib, the section and feed are in good shape and should be a direct fit to that nib.

post-128375-0-13124200-1521073383_thumb.jpg

I should also mention, that the nibs that National Pen Products made for various pen makers in England were marked as a 2 nib, although the 2 nib is identical with the same nib they put on their pens made for the US that were marked 8

In the Feed will be slicker....less buffering, so the flex of the nib can be better used.

So it is not just sticking a nib on another feed and into a different pen.

If you use the same nib and feed, you have to find a pen that fits that nib and feed.

Well, next time soak the pen, so the ink is wet, then you can twist the feed and nib out with out ruining the pen. We all learn on a bed of broken pens.....a hair drier can loosen up the section to get it off of sack pens.......is in the repair section.

I have a number of # 3 nibbed pens, and even some # 4 ones....so #2 is not a 'standard' in vintage pens. In fact by me and my mostly German vintage pens, a #2 is seldom.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

With American vintage pens, which are the bulk of my collection, #2 nibs are typical. A few larger, a few more smaller, but there seems to be a certain standardization of nib size in the early 20th Century.

Send me a p.m.with your address, i have a pen ill send you that came with that version of Warranted 14# 8 nib on it originally. There are 3 different "warranted 14k #8" styles of nib as far as I can tell & I believe the one you have to be a National Pen Products style nib that were on multiple brands of flat top lever fillers and streamlined style lever fillers, mostly from the early 1920's to the early 1940's. I have a few large flat top lever fillers that are only missing a sac and nib, the section and feed are in good shape and should be a direct fit to that nib.

That's very generous of you. I accept the offer and will send you my address through pm. By the way I soaked the pen for several days without any movement when I tried to pull or twist with some rubber cloths (same as sbrebrown uses). Next came the pliers ... and broke some fins of the feed ... usually I manage to recover vintage pen. This is the second one I ruin. First was a fake Montblanc so nothing important. But I recovered Parker 21 special, Sheaffer Targa, imperial etc.

I'm also not sure it's a #2, I only took measurements (see pics above) and someone here identified this as a vintage #2. I hope he's right. It's more or less like a short nowadays' #5 or 5.5