The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

Aurora 88 Ef Scratchy On One Side

3 replies to this topic

#1 EDR1633

EDR1633

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:19

Under my 10x loupe, I can see that one side is ever so slightly out of alignment with the other, causing scratchiness in one direction. This is an infinitesimally small delta, and I had to look very closely with the loupe looking at both sides of the tip to see the slight catch/edge that was pulling up fibers from the paper.

I did some bendy exercises on the nib, which I saw helped improve the problem by about 33%. I am basically taking my fingernail under the tine that is too low and lifting it up gently repetitively.

There is so little iridium it seems on this EF nib that I am very much afraid to use micromesh.

Is that a safe assumption not to ever use micromesh on this?

Sponsored Content

#2 EDR1633

EDR1633

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:25

I can now see with my fingernail that the tines as a whole are offset by the same small amount running all the way to the breather whole. I can't see anything in the loupe, but the problem is defintely there. If I press down on the nib against the feed, I feel no change... the offset is still there.

#3 tisse98

tisse98

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 13:34

I recommend googling Richard Binder and having him adjust the nib. 

#4 siamackz

siamackz

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:25

Pics would help us understand the problem and make suggestions. It sounds like the times are misaligned. Should be simple enough to realign if you google and watch videos. Or then you could send it to a pro, this would be easy enough to fix. Please don’t use micromesh until you have realigned properly

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|